Review: Animated Roadbuster Ultra Magnus

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Philister, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Philister

Philister Teutonicons Rising!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Didn't find a review thread for this guy here. If I missed it, please move the post.

[​IMG]
    For more pictures, click on the image above

Remarks: Roadbuster Magnus is a repaint of the first Animated Ultra Magnus, so look there for the full review. Just a few words on the differences here. As the name says, this version of the Autobot Supreme Commander is a homage to the G1 Wrecker Roadbuster. The figure lends itself well to that, actually, and with the right colors - orange and military green - the resemblance is quite good. At least for most of the body. But then there's the head.

It's the head of the first Animated Ultra Magnus, completely unchanged. Same goes for the hip plates, which are also blue. Now I understand that the transparent blue panels in the chest and the shoulder cannons weren't changed, but why leave the head and hip plates as is? Doesn't fit with the rest of the color scheme at all. Would it have been so hard to color the head in orange and green as well? Or at least the helmet? Would have made all the difference, I think. In fact, this will probably become my first custom project.

Apart from that Ultra Magnus remains the same excellent figure with the slightly awkward shoulder design that he was the first time around. He turned up at our German Toys R'Us stores lately at reduced price, which is why I got him at all. He's a fine figure overall, don't get me wrong, but it really bugs me that they couldn't find the time to color the head. So I am forced to deduct some points there. Still, before you can't get any Ultra Magnus at all, pick up this one and spring for some paint for the head.

Rating: B-

2. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    You know, I've come to not mind the head that much. I think it kinda works IMO.

3. Rewind

Rewind Be Kind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    This figure is probably the single most disappointing TF for me. I really disliked regular Magnus' color, I am a huge Roadbuster fan, so when this guy was announced I was all kinds of excited and planned on buying him. The head utterly ruined it for me though, and I couldn't get myself to buy him the few times I saw him on the shelf. His Roadbuster colors look really, really good....but that head. I don't know, it's like Magnus got a new coat of paint on his body and is saying, "Shhh! I is someone else nao, K?"

Were it any TF line besides Animated I would try to find a new head for him, but Anime is so stylized that there really isn't any other toy that would work as a donor.

4. Lord T

Lord T Golden

News Credits:
    Just bought one myself, gonna make him a Roadbuster head since I intend to use him as Roadbuster. Though the blue isn't as distracting as I had expected. Great mold.

5. Biotoakid

Biotoakid I've never been wrong

News Credits:
    If I got him I'd want a Roadbuster head.

6. SoundMaster

SoundMaster Likes RID Bulkhead.

News Credits:
    I never saw this guy. :( 

7. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    We never got the regular UM over here in the UK, so I ended up with this guy. I have to admit, I do like him a hell of a lot; the mold is absolutely superb. I just wish that Hasbro hadn't left random parts (the head, waist pieces) in blue; he feels like 3/4 repaint and 1/4 lazy.

8. Philister

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just bought the colors to repaint the head. Result pics to follow. ;) 

9. Philister

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  10. xanthax

xanthax choppaface

News Credits:
    Oh my. I can't get over that color scheme. Looks like they had an overabundance of baby-poo green and yellow they had to use so they slapped it on him.