Reverse Convoy

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Dinobot Snarl, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Dinobot Snarl

Dinobot Snarl Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Why is Reverse Convoy not a thing?
    I mean we get Scourge, Nemesis, and sometimes Magnus,
    But that Reverse color scheme is so classic, and that head mold has never been repeated. Would love to see this redone.

What would a US version be called. Optimus Minor?

2. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    The thing about reverse Optimus is his head can also turn into Megatron. That is why the toy is a down size of G2 Megatron.

As of color scheme, he is to close to power convoy which is a better nod.

3. beardy

beardy Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.

If you mean the fact there is no Optimus repaints in blue, it could be because it's the colour of one of the Diaclone versions of op that preceded TFs.
    If I saw a blue optimus repaint, I would probably think of the diaclone version rather than the reverse convoy.... unless it came with a secondary Megatron head like the original.

4. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's evil!"

News Credits:
    Yeah, the whole point of Reverse Convoy is that he's actually Megatron in disguise...not so much the blue/grey color (which is actually more evocative of Megaplex).

The fun thing about Titans Return is that you can do Reverse Convoy on your own now by simply swapping heads.

5. Smitty.1981

Smitty.1981 Rusting...

News Credits:
    I'm not sure how well Robot Masters did in Japan, but I did not see much love for it on line at the time. Other than Beast Convoy and Lio Convoy I'm not sure there were many good new molds. Also my the time they got to Reverse convoy it was mostly Convoys and Megatrons.

If the story had more to offer Reverse Convoy could have become more popular. I think it's a neat idea but Transformers lore is full of neat ideas that never got use much or used well in the fiction so they go mostly forgotten.

6. beardy

beardy Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.

This is true. That's a good point. Not quite the blue figure that the OP was looking for but a good point.

Now, if the upcoming quake figure is a headmaster... and they repaint it blue... You have your 2 heads and a blue tank - perfect for RC.

7. Hanzkaz

Hanzkaz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I thought the idea of Reverse Convoy was interesting. I just would have preferred a better toy. If we ever got an updated version, I'd be looking out for it.

I suppose a Sideways type of version is possible, but I'd prefer the original gimmick.

8. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Anthony Hopkins with a submachine gun. 'Nuff said!

Well, for several reasons:

- Magnus himself was a white Optimus repaint with a different trailer, while Scourge and Nemesis are two different takes on the same visual concept (black, evil Optimus Prime/Convoy repaint). They also tend to be straight up repaints instead of retools since IIRC no tank Optimus Primes exist to my knowledge except Reverse Convoy.

- While true in that the head mold itself isn't used anywhere else, it is actually very much based on the PMOP head. The Megaton head, likewise, also is unique to this figure but it's your bog standard buckethead design with excess mass behind it (kinda like Titanmaster heads) to help hide it inside the stock of the shoulder cannon assembly when not deployed.

- Really this figure only exists as a way for Megatron to possess a body to fool other Autobots from other dimensions into believing he is a Convoy, usually because the actual owner of the body either died, is dying, or never existed. So, really, it's just Megatron using Optimus Prime as an alt. mode in a sense :lol 

It is a bit more nuanced than that, unfortunately. One of the clever tricks Reverse Convoy uses is the only faction logo that is shown on the toy relies on which head is deployed - the Megatron's neck panel has a tiny-ass, barely discernible Decepticon emblem on it, but the 'Convoy' head folds into the chest and so tucks the Autobot emblem away with it.
    [​IMG]

9. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    Forgot about that. But still, you could get something similar if you touch up the Blitzwing Megatron with some blue and cover one mode with Autobot symbols and the other with Decepticon symbols. The mod work here would be fairly minimal, mostly involving paint.

10. Dinobot Snarl

I would buy that immediately

11. DecepticusPrime

DecepticusPrime End of Days

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    that was thrilling 30 doubledealer basically

12. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    Yes, but without the head swapping gimmick that would enable one to do Reverse Convoy.

13. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Funny I was just thinking about doing this from CW Megatron. Not a reversible head, just Optimus head on a blue tank body.

14. artiepants

artiepants Misses readable TF comics

News Credits:
    Was Reverse Convoy a new mold? Back in the day i think i thought he was a remold of the "Hero" tank Megatron, probably would have made a greater effort to track him down if i'd known he was new.

15. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

Na he's a remold, a very good one though.

16. Booster Gold

Booster Gold Superhero?

Ebay:
    I loved it both on and off line, I'm pretty sure I collected the entire line, it was so damn collectable. I found it to be a wonderful combination of nice repaints of figures I'd missed over the years and new moulds all at (mostly) the same scale. The story however was totally bonkers, what the heck is a 'blasty zone'?

17. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    This would be a perfect Titan Returns figure, just give the Hardhead mold the Sentinel Prime and Galvatron heads and we're good....that or the upcoming Voyager Optimus and Megatron heads and presto.

a perfect exclusive right here.

18. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    Ditto. I got all of the figures, minus some of the exclusive repaints. You got new molds of G1 Convoy, Beast Convoy, Beast Megatron, Lio Convoy and Star Saber/Victory Leo...not to mention anime accurate seekers (to a fault). And then you had excellent repaints of the Machine Wars basics, some Beast Wars basics and G2 laser cycles, Cyberjets, Dreadwing and G2 Hero Megatron retooled into Reverse Convoy/Rebirth Megatron. All with extra weapons as well.

Darn cool toyline. Highly recommended if you can afford them. Most of the B-listers, I think, can be had for reasonable prices still. Don't know so much about the Convoys and such.

Reverse Convoy generally seems to go for a higher price tag...but he was also the final figure and seemed to be offered in fewer quantities than the first wave of figures. Seemed kind of odd, considering he was kind of the only modern representation of G1 Megatron in cartoons we had for a long while. In fact, he IS the only modern representation of G1 Megatron in cartoons post-Beast Wars.

19. Dinobot Snarl

Reverse Convoy is also a character without Megatron. When Megatron's essence is cleaned from him he is returned to his dimension. So he doesnt 'have' to have the head switching gimmick.

20. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    Sure. But what's the fun in Reverse Convoy without Rebirth Megatron? Besides, that AVP "soft-canon". What's the point in being "Reverse" Convoy if you don't "Reverse"?