Reveal the Shield Strafe Pictorial Review

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Red leader, Dec 4, 2010.

1. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    I had not intentions of getting this guy at all. But I had went to Ross today, and saw him on the shelf. But for $10 I was like, "Ehh, WTH..." and got him. Color scheme does not look that bad in person (it's hardly outstanding either). While I am not planning on putting him any particular group, I just got him because I like the mold, and can have something to mess around with on my desk. :D 

All in all, not bad for $10. Wouldn't recommend spending more than that on him though.

2. FakeEyes22

FakeEyes22 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Found this guy for $20 as well. I like him. I don't have Mindwipe, so he's got the bonus of being a large all new figure to me for $10. I know their love is forbidden by their respective factions, but the compatibility with the discounted Sunspot I picked up is cool.

Honestly, he could be absolutely terrible, but I'd still love him for his wing emblems. He's pretty far off from G1 Strafe, but Mindwipe certainly is too.

The pinky finger on one hand is broken off. No big deal for a $10 figure and I can't tell if it came like that or I did it somehow by messing with the swords. Hopefully I can ignore it.

3. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is one of the best repaint I bought in a while.

4. xeno

xeno xeno

News Credits:
    Just got this guy today. and he is sick. This mold is, in my mind, one of the top 20 of the past three years.

5. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Whilst the Mindwipe mould isn't my favourite mould, I simply couldn't pass on this guy for $10. His colouring is sufficiently different that he almost looks like a different mould from Mindwipe and the combination of the red and grey with yellow highlights really works well in robot mode. Whilst Mindwipe looked like a really awkward F-117A in vehicle mode due to the rougher edges and the tatoos, Strafe avoids all of that by looking like a bizarre alien spacecraft. If you can still find him then get him.

6. 9.8m/s^2

9.8m/s^2 What's in a name?

Just got him today, because I happen to have Sunspot too. I was holding off because I wasn't sure how they'd look combined (using the various unofficial robot-mode combinations), but as it turns out, they go together quite well. The tiny white and yellow highlights on Strafe match Sunspot's colors (I had been worrying more about Strafe's grey and red) and make the combination look like a balanced blend of a unified robot and a merging of two separate robots.

7. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Is this guy mistransformed in package? I've seen him a few times in person and there's a huge friggin gap in his chest that looks really ugly.

8. 9.8m/s^2

9.8m/s^2 What's in a name?

Yes. In the package, the shoulder assembly is only halfway rotated, and the chestpiece is popped open. Transformed properly, there's still a bit of a gap, but it's not nearly as bad as the package would suggest.

9. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    Sorry to necrothread this but... After all this time, would you still recommend this figure? I wasn't able to ever get Mindwipe and I really want the mold; and someone is selling one (new) here, which would be my only option for the moment.

Even if he isn't Mindwipe, is Strafe worth getting?

10. Gepard

Gepard Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He's okay. He's not my favorite, but he's not bad. The transformation is pretty simple and he looks a little goofy in vehicle mode thanks to the colors, but if you can get him for cheap (I paid $10 at TJ Maxx), go for it.

11. orionpax636

orionpax636 What the...?

News Credits:
    Like the poster above, I too got him cheap but I've never opened him since I couldn't decide whether I want to keep him.

In my opinion the beauty of the Mindwipe mold is that its inherent creepiness and morbid color scheme perfectly matched the character of Mindwipe. The repurposing of the mold into Strafe isn't terrible, it's just not as tailor made.

It's not a bad mold by any means (it's actually pretty unique), he just looks better as a different character the way I see it. Plus, the pairing with scout Sunspot isn't as clean as Mindwipe's with Skystalker.

12. GAUGE

GAUGE Wargod ARTS

News Credits:
    I have the strafe toy, it's okay, but then you got to take into account...um, Where's the other Technobots???

13. FakeEyes22

FakeEyes22 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If you're getting him for retail or less, absolutely. I'm finding myself wanting Mindwipe a bit, but Strafe still really cool. I like the huge cropped symbols on the wings and the colors overall are nice for a big Autobot plane. I can't guarantee you'll love him, but I'm pretty sure you won't dislike him. At the very least, it may be a cheaper way to see if Mindwipe is worth tracking down.

Since it seems like Voyagers are going to easily fit in the palm of my hand soon, I'm finding some value in owning any mold that's feels at least slightly more substantial. For $10, it feels like I practically stole Strafe.

14. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    Eh well, I'm pretty sure I'll never get him as low as $10, but I still found him at a reasonable price by local standards. I pretty much missed the only Mindwipe i saw months ago (in mercadolibre, kind of a latin, shittier eBay). I think I'll just bite on Strafe since the mold itself really interests me. Even though I tend to get only one version of any mold (I got Banzaitron instead of Bludgeon), I may still get Mindwipe too if it reappears in the future.

Thanks guys, I hope to enjoy the figure as much as I can.

15. Dinodigger97

Dinodigger97 germinates within you.

News Credits:
    In my collection....Strafe is Mindwipe's inner Autobot side(who I call WIPE!!,after G1 Mindwipe's Japanese name.:) )

I hope that made sense.:)