Reveal the Shield Perceptor

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Farrk, Dec 31, 2010.

1. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    After a day, want to add I broke part of my backpack too. Just a tiny piece of the tab that goes in the undercarriage of the "backpack". Even before that though he didn't really want to stay in place. The shoulders are pretty horribly designed, wished they locked into the chest somehow too, instead of just sitting there with that gap.

He looks good just standing there though.

2. Deadend

Deadend Spark of Creation

News Credits:
    I love perceptor's vehicle mode, and I love his bot mode.

What I absolutely loathe though is his transformation, the arms always trying to move if you try to pose him. The fact he feels like you're breaking him when you transform him, and the back pack that never wants to lock in right. He'd be epicly awesome if not for that major issue of his transformation. Awesome alt mode, epic bot mode, but the transformation has me worried I'll break him every time, and he's a pain in the ass to pose without his shoulders trying to move lower. =/

Great attempt, but it feels like whoever engineered him kind of half assed it at the end with the back pack.

3. Quixote_Prime

Quixote_Prime is missed.

News Credits:
    pic request - can someone give him his g1 rifle?

4. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
  5. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Huh, I'm impressed. He actually has the shoulder, forearm, and knee details from his original toy.

It's gonna be tough to paint-match his teal for his stomach, though...

I've really warmed up to this guy over the last little bit. I always liked him, but he just keeps looking better and better, IMO. Now if only BBTS would get their Lugnuts and Wave 4 PCCs in stock so I can ship him already.

6. RICEMASTER

RICEMASTER Special Agent Doofy

Instagram:
    Flickr:
    The tab under the hood also broke on mine. I eventually took it back to target and got another one. I love the figure, but the back pack drives me nuts. Posing him is such a chore with the backpack constantly sliding down!!!

7. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Crossdresser Toy Collector

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Glad to know that I'm not the only one having problems with Perceptor! It's the only thing that's preventing me from really liking this figure.

Is anyone else having issues with transforming him back to Alt mode? I can't seem to get the front of the truck on at all. It seems like I'm getting something wrong here.

8. Demonicon

Demonicon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Lumpy's way is definitely the correct transformation. It brings the teal panels with the wheels completely vertical where there's a notch cut out of his side for them to rest into.

[​IMG]

9. Rewind

Rewind Swoosh!

News Credits:
    THANK YOU. I just got this thing today and your explanation/photo helped me figure out what I was doing wrong. After the backpack is in that position (as with the photo above this post) it's very solid and nothing wiggles, frobbles, or comes apart.

10. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Veteran

News Credits:
    The key to the front of the truck is to make sure the elbows on the arms underneath are bent all the back.

11. Rodentus prime

Rodentus prime Old Git

News Credits:
    This is a really nice looking mold once you get everything plugged together properly.

On mine I did have to shave same excess plastic from where the wing mirror pieces protruded under the wheel arches and were stopping the wheels from rotating more than 90 degrees.

12. Veloxiraptor

Veloxiraptor MoƩ than Meets the Eye

News Credits:
    There's a lot to like about the toy. The robot mode looks great and is a worthy representation of the character. Not a lot of potential for action poses but at least he has a decent excuse. I'm happy that they found ways to lock basically ALL of the leg pieces into place, because other TFs might've left similar pieces unsecured.

I don't really understand why the shoulders came out so bad, though. There's obviously little blue pegs there, but they have nowhere to plug in. You can sort of rest the shoulder panels against the pegs, but on mine at least, the panels aren't quite lined up and tend to skip right over those pegs. The backpack holds on okay but the pieces really mash into each other. I find that forming the backpack tends to drag Percy's head back down into his torso, too.

Still I think it came out decent enough. I like that he can reach up and hold the gunbarrel. Makes it look like he's resting a huge bat on his shoulder.

13. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think collectors will like this figure. Well engineered and surprisingly faithful to the original (bot mode at least). I dont mind the half track mode, its something different.

Kids will hate it. Too fiddly with too many tabbing. Please dont give this to a child as an actual toy, it sucks.

14. Stune

Stune Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Right out of the box the tab located in the "Engine" of the Half Track that's supposed to secretly tab into the backpack and secure it broke off.

I say secretly because I didn't find out about this mystery tab until it was half snapped off.

I'm pondering taking it back and getting another Perceptor, because I like the rest of the toy fine, but the engineering on that backpack was just idiotic. I understand that if I would have looked around a little more I probably would have noticed it, but what will a Kid think?

(by the way, reccomendations on Returning a deluxe figure because it's broken? Voyagers are easier, but plastic bubbles are tough)

15. mynamehere

mynamehere Well-Known Member

Well if it's broken tell them it's broken/defective when you return it. What exactly is easy about voyagers and tough about plastic bubbles? Do you mean you return opened broken voyagers without telling them the toy is broken/defective so that it gets re-shelved for someone else to unknowingly buy?

16. RICEMASTER

RICEMASTER Special Agent Doofy

Instagram:
    Flickr:
    The tab under the hood broke on mine and I had no problems taking it back to target. They just looked at the reciept and told me to find another.

17. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    The only thing preventing the robot mode to be staller is the non-locking backpack. The tab on mine didn't break off and it stil won't stay put. Otherwiese there's a decent amount of articulation (glad to find out there's more knee movement than I originally thought) and a great update to Perceptor. I gave it Blurr's giant gun and it looks awesome.

The vehicle mode is awful. Perceptor as a half track...thing...doesn't make a tiny bit of sense imo. But oh well. I ave me a assic Perceptor now and that's all that matters.

18. RodimusDawg

RodimusDawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Going to finagle a way around this locking backpack problem using small magnets from radioshack, tiny piece of metal,and super glue. Will post pic if anything worthy comes from my trial and error and brainstorming.

But overall this thing a freaking sweet. Glad I held off on getting the reissue to be a stand in for my classics collection. The articualtion and sculting of the figure is just overall sweet.

I like the Half-track Truck mode. This give Perceptor a kind of Explorer-ish feel for me. Like no matter where he needs to go he will get there in the name of science and discovery.

19. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    Anything you should or shouldn't do to stop that tab breaking ?

20. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Veteran

News Credits:
    I'm actually confounded as to how people are breaking the thing at all. :confused: