Reveal the Shield Legends Optimus Prime

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Red leader, Dec 4, 2010.

1. Red leader

Red leader Nom Nom Nom

News Credits:
    He's little, he's red and he is wicked! sure he has the leg articlation of a brick and stabilizers on his wrists but for his size he looks really nice, has a torso swivel and good arm articulation, he also makes a nice little truck.

legprime1.jpg

legprime2.jpg

legprime3.jpg

legprime4.jpg

legprime5.jpg

legprime6.jpg

legprime7.jpg

legprime8.jpg

legprime9.jpg

2. viper2391

viper2391 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    looks too plain...looking like KO or unfinished. More paint apps could have been added but hey its still mini optimus prime. nice find.

3. Jarodimus

Jarodimus the guy with that scan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Very nice! It's hilarious that he has a better truck mode than Classics Deluxe OP and THS Convoy. (And, if I'm honest, probably a better robot mode than the Deluxe, too.)

4. Runamuck

Runamuck Swindle Knows Best

News Credits:
    Agreed. And the paint aps seem pretty decent for a Legends class. At least it's not like Starscream with an unpainted head.

5. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    Really looking forward to this one. And while I knew he didn't have knees already, I'm still irked by it. Legends are half the price of a deluxe, but don't have half the plastic nor half the number of moving parts. I can understand when the plastic is too thin to support a joint, but for something like this it's ridiculous. Even small figures like the pcc minicons have knees and Nightstick has tiny elbows.

All that aside, really wanting him, these new legends are gonna look great with metroplex.

6. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

I was going to go for him, but now I've seen the pics of those horrible arms I think I'll give it a miss.

Damn shame. :( 

7. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Seeing the wheels under the hands makes me wonder if Op can pull off some sort of "mancycle" alternate transformation.

8. j.a.f.o.

j.a.f.o. Just Looking, Not Buying

That was exactly my thought when Legends Animated Prime came out.

These kibble arms, however, aren't as much of a detraction for me this time around.

9. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

Looks great. Alt mode is great.

10. DJCHARTERS

DJCHARTERS Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    definately be picking him up. its a shame though about the leg articulation. there is really no reason he should have any. looks easy enough to fix though

11. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    Like most Legends released since Cybertron...

Looks great, I love Legends.

12. spamo123

spamo123 Artist. Contact me.

This guy might be the first Legends I buy. I love the V-shapish torso and it seems he has a fun transformation. Has there been any Legends class figure with both elbow and knee articulation besides the Warpath mold?

13. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Just got this guy and I'm half and half on him. He's a generally nice representation of both modes but his legs are dump for several reasons. He's got hip ball joints but his pants block the legs from bending forward apart from a tiny amount, and there's a pair of notches on his inner thighs to help when bending his hips up for transformation, but which buggers the leg articulation even more. As already noted by others he's got no bending knees, which is kinda a crime these days, even on Legends. His legs seem to be stumpy too, although that might just be because the lower legs are so chunky and wide. He also has one of my pet hates, which are feet molded into a fixed stance (I blame Animated for the proliferation of this design disease, although there's probably earlier examples). But then with his fixed knees and crap hip joints I suppose what would be the point of letting him stand any other way than like he's just shook a fresh turd down his trouser leg?

Above the waist (although I'm not a fan of his red underpants either), things improve, with a nice G1 animation model chest and a fair bit of articulation in his arms. Would've liked his rubsign to be on his shoulder but I suppose it had to be moved for the ball-joint vent. His wheel cufflinks which I thought would really bother me actually don't. Pity his molded-on leg wheels are slightly smaller than his rolling leg wheels, but then I guess that's so they don't scrape the ground when you push him along. I kinda wish the molded-on wheels had been the same size as the rollers but just flattened off a bit at the bottom for clearance.

He's got a nice classical Optimus head, and they even bothered to give it a rear flap to hide it in truck mode. Some bigger Optimus figures don't even get that.

There are quite a few opportunities to add paint to this figure and correct him, and no doubt there's a Reprolables set in his future, if not already.

So, a bag of faults (personally speaking), but still enough good points to make me glad I bought him. That and I love Legends. He uses little tricks and advancements from many other Optimus figures to go to a half-decent truck from a G1-ish cartoon robot mode so maybe by the next time there's a go at this guy the problems might even be resolved.

14. LoserBroadside

LoserBroadside Your ship just came in.

Yeah, I hate that too. It's the only thing from making me head-over-heels in love with RTS Jazz (which someday I'll maybe be find). BTW, it goes back as far a Armada (Red Alert). And with the level of articulation and engineering that they have now, there's no good reason for it.

-LB

15. scubaboy31

scubaboy31 Digital Gypsy

News Credits:
    really like this little guy. the transformation is fantastic and i honestly believe this is the best box-cab truck mode that Prime has had since '84. Wish the knees worked and a spot of paint is needed, but overall he's great. Now to open Megatron...

16. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    I just got him, I agree he needs a little paint - but I'll likely do that a little silver on his groin and the middle of his faux middle wheels, and paint his side windows.

I can't decide on if to give him a stripe or not though.

I like that he can hold 5mm posted weapons in his hand. he probably would have been Ok with smaller hands though if they'd gone for 3mm like some scouts have.

Not sure what gun to give him... it's a bit silly though with a 5mm post hole he can hold weapons bigger than he is.

17. scubaboy31

scubaboy31 Digital Gypsy

News Credits:
    i'm gonna try the gun that came with 3 inch titanium optimus. reckon it would look good.

18. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    I think he lacks knees as he got legs with no gaps in them - only Legends with gaps in the back of the legs have knees - and usually it's for Transformational reasons.

Optimus has no gaps in the back of his legs (and thus no knees)

So the lack of knees is to make the truck mode more stable perhaps.

Knees look like they might have been possible - but Animated Legends Optimus does not have them either... probably lacking knees as he's got jointed arms.

I miss his head not turning more though. I'd have like his head mounted more traditionally as an extra part they he can pose better - but it is after all a legend and for all that he's still rather great.

19. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Thing is his lower legs could've easily been open at the back rather than the inner sides. It's not like anyone would've seen the open sides in truck mode as it's on the underside of the vehicle. Then he could've had knee joints. And with his legs pegged together and the knees jointed that way there's no truck stability problems either that I can see as the knees can't bend that direction anyway while the truck is sat on a surface.

I think he simply has no knees because he doesn't need those joints for transformation. His waist, upper body and arms have quite a few parts in them so maybe he just hit the maximum part/assemby count for a Legends figure, if there is such a thing.

Whatever the reason though it's a real pity as it does take some of the cool off an otherwise good figure.

20. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    A legends figure with elbows. Awe-some!!!!!