Reveal the shield faction...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by T-Logicon, Nov 26, 2010.

1. T-Logicon

T-Logicon assembles the drones

The packaging for the Reveal the Shield line suggests that we need to rub the shield to reveal the figures allegiance. As TF fans we're all aware of this concept w/ the g1 rub-stickers. The focus of the rub-stickers, according to the g1 packaging and instruction booklets, was to ID and confirm that the transformer was indeed an authentic TF. However, according the packaging, the RTS line seems to make the suggestion that the faction allegiance may not be as obvious as it would seem. As if there could be an Autobot Lugnut, or perhaps a Decepticon Jazz. Only by "revealing the shield" will we know for sure. So, has anyone found a figure that has the obvious factions reversed? I dont know if there are any out there, but based on the packaging, it stands to reason that there might be.

Also, for any of you fellow old-skoolers, did any of you ever have or see an original g1 figure w/ the opposite rub-sign? Not one that was switched after being opened. (I did that sometimes to make things interesting in battle) I never opened a brand new TF when I was a kid that had an incorrect rub-sign on it. I remember hearing kids talk about having an Autobot Megatron or Decepticon Hoist (or whatever), but kids lie. I know I did. Especially when I was 7 thru ... 12ish

Anyways, Has anyone seen a TF w/ the rub-sticker, or a RTS figure w/ the factions switched?

2. G1_Cindersaur

G1_Cindersaur Banned

News Credits:
    nope..i personally thought the rub stickers sucked back in the day and removed them as soon as the robot was removed from the box...but for those on a nostalgic kick...rock on...

I just did not see the sticker fitting into the story or lore of transformers..."here rub my sticker to see if i am on your side or not" :crazy:  :dunce 

3. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    I don't think I quite grasped the idea of "factions" back then. I knew all the toys had "faces" on them, and certain toys were supposed to have certain faces, but I don't think it really clicked that there were two distinct armies (or races or whatever).
    Granted, I wasn't a dedicated fan of the shows nor did my figures ever appear in them.

That being said, I don't recall having any reversed rub-signs.

4. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    I remember them from the Beast Wars days. I was happy when they were replaced with spark crystals. Now I'm stuck with them again, oh joy.

5. MisterFanwank

MisterFanwank Toy Industry Analyst

News Credits:

This, /thread.

6. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    It's silly to try and suggest there's a big mystery over factions when these characters are generally so well known. I can't remember offhand but I'm assuming their packaging has their faction displayed on it anyway.
    It's a pity that there wasn't also a random number on the symbol when heated that kids could use to play a sort of Top Trumps game. You buy a RtS Jazz but he may not be as powerful as your friend's RtS Jazz.
    Or you open a hatch somewhere on the figure, heat the hidden square there and you get five numbers, each representing a tech specs level. A bit like the Headmasters reels. But the stickers are randomly selected when the figure is made so you never know what you'll find.
    Might be a bit silly to have a leader tagged less powerful than a small soldier but the levels wouldn't have to represent all types of play.

7. nemisispringer

nemisispringer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I dont think the factions are on the pacakge thats why we didnt know minset was an autobot untill loose samples were aqquired and reveiwed

Outback may be one kids dont know till they aquire it

Also in the second wave i think kids may find the look of wreckgar quite sinister

8. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    They won't ever do it, but I love the idea of a series of completely anonymous robots that you would have to reveal the faction of and maybe even crack a code to find out the name. The names and factions wouldn't necessarily be the same for an identical figure.

9. Gligamesh51

Gligamesh51 @ThatGuyNeedaHam

News Credits:
    Whats stupid about the whole reveal the shield gimmick is hasbro still spoils it for you by putting the faction on the back of the package.

Wow, turbo tracks, is he an autobot or decepticon? *flip over* Oh, an autobot....whoooo

But I think that Lugz could pass for an autobot.

10. ChrisW

ChrisW Well-Known Member

Everyone assumed Mindset would be a Decepticon since G2 Mindset was a Decepticon. Those that got early samples were no doubt surprised when they Revealed the Shield to discover he was an Autobot.

11. Jlogano20

Jlogano20 Speed Gunner

News Credits:
    on the back of the box there is an autobot symbol

12. NCStarscream

NCStarscream Me Grimlock cute

News Credits:
    I haven't seen the faction of Deep Dive yet. Presumably the appropriate symbol will be on the back of the package, though. They should keep it off to build the epic suspense.

Also, I assume someone at Hasbro thought it would be funny to make Strafe's wings scream his allegiance in direct defiance of the line's advertising promo.

13. T-Logicon

T-Logicon assembles the drones

Yes, the packages do have a faction symbol on them, but I think it'd be pretty cool to have opposite sticker on the figure itself. That kind of thing would definitely keep me interested in seeing/finding the, (I guess it would make one a variant...?) "other" one.

I think it would be pretty cool for Hasbro to do that. The cool thing about this line in particular, is the high quality/coolness of the figures in it. The shield gimmick is just the icing on the cake.

14. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    Just noticed my Classics Jetfire has a Decepticon Rubsign on it. Now I bought it second hand but it doesnt look to be tampered with. I was rather surprised when I saw that the other day.

15. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    i would laugh my ass OFF if it turns out he has a decepticon rubsign

16. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^ Hmm, you're going to make me check mine now. That makes more sense with Jetfire than it would with some others, lol.

I don't have a big attachment to or distaste for rubsigns. My girlfriend really likes them, but she has cold hands so she's got some issues with 'em. :lol  I do think it unites RtS figures with Classics figures stylistically, so there's that (damn you Hasbro for fueling my Classics binge).

As for all the complaining about how the gimmick doesn't make sense...frankly, it wouldn't be a Transformers gimmick if it made any damn sense. I.e. "I'm going to leave my family and friends to be a robot's gun forever!" It's perfectly obvious that the designers just wanted to make a ton of Classics-style figures and left it to marketing how they would be released in the US. I'm certainly glad that the designs of Jazz and Tracks were not compromised in order to make their factions more ambiguous.

17. Insecticon

Insecticon I am a Transformers

Ebay:
    That is an amazing idea! Hasbro can probably even make a little game out of it, similar to Bakugan. Man that would be awesome.

18. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

I can't imagine these things are cheaper than an tampograph and they don't seem to be terribly popular, so I kind of wonder why they bother bringing them back.

That said, I like them, but I wouldn't get upset if they weren't there.

19. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I think Rubsigns are a waste.

I wish they'd go back to tamopgraphing.

20. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Hm I never liked the rub signs on Transformers. But I'd buy Rubsign Underwear :D