Returning tranformers to stores after opening them

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by SectorStar, Nov 23, 2009.

1. SectorStar

SectorStar Knightcron

I apologize if this is the wrong place to post, but it is the only one that seemed like the right one. I just bought a deluxe ROTF Soundwave, the instructions aren't that detailed so for the life of me I can't figure out how to transform it correctly, and even after watching various youtube vids I'm still not able to see what I'm doing wrong. Does anyone know if you can take them back to a store like Wal-Mart after opening them? I know some people would just suggest selling it, but that'd probably cost me more in sending it then it would in what I'd be getting back for it. I just don't want it if it's gona cause me this much frustration to figure out.

2. petes2177

petes2177 the poowrr?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If you still have the packaging and receipt, yes.

3. SectorStar

SectorStar Knightcron

Yes, I do its actually not in bad shape, i guess maybe I could almost tape the plastic plastic cover thing back on beings it came off so easily. I was just wondering rather or not they'd make a fuss over something like that, because I've never any on the shelf like that where its obvious someone took it back.

4. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

Most Wal-Marts will take things back without receipts or boxes, depends on how customer service orientated the person is.

But open or not receipt usually guarentees returnability.

5. SectorStar

SectorStar Knightcron

Well now ya tell me after I'm going through all the trouble of putting the twist tie things back on lol But it's not really that hard. I'm not too concerned about getting my money back, I'd just wana exchange it for someone else I might like better.

6. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

Well they won't let you do that only exchanges are for exactly the same product, you will have to get your money back and go buy someone else.

7. SectorStar

SectorStar Knightcron

Well either way is fine with me, I'm just surprised they actually take things back like that after opening it.

8. petes2177

petes2177 the poowrr?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, I've done it twice before and the employees at Customer Service were cool about it. Full refund as well.

9. Alexander Quinn

Alexander Quinn Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure not even the engineer who designed ROTF Soundwave knows how to transform him. The alt modes are pretty much just alien gibberish. Normally, I'm in the camp of "you should have known better going in what he was like so don't take him back", but this guy is one of the few exceptions. The lack of pegs to lock him in alt mode and the strange excess of panels that do nothing just makes him pretty defective overall. I've only kept mine because I'm determined to mod him and improve him.

Anyway, good luck with whoever you get as his replacement.

10. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    So, why are you taking him back? Because he's hard?

Well, they shouldn't have a problem with that.

11. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

haha

12. SectorStar

SectorStar Knightcron

I feel really dumb, as I love transformers to death, and this was a BIG disappointment. I was not able to find a ROTF Soundwave ANYWHERE in any of the stores here since ROTF came out. I had wanted one really bad after watching the vids on youtube and stuff but never able to see one. Today as I was walking down the aisles I saw one and I was like "omg a Soundwave!" It was one of those examples where you research something heavily and want it, but then when you finally get it, it's a big let down. I spent like 35 mins trying to figure out what the directions were telling me to do, and have NEVER had that much of a problem with a transformer before. I'd rather just let someone else that will enjoy it better have it and get something else that I know I'll enjoy better

13. petes2177

petes2177 the poowrr?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I do agree, when I first got my Soundwave the transformation was very frustrating, but easy. It still is :banghead: 

14. Mr. Sparklebot

Mr. Sparklebot 'Til All Are Juan

News Credits:
  15. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    im firmly onthe side of returning only when the toy is defective, but even ill admit ROTF Soundwave has a high rating on the ol WTF-O-Meter when it comes to its transformation and the average quality of ROTF instruction sheets being in the range of "it would of more use as toliet paper" doesn't help much, with mine i display in bot mode. but as your not doing it for some nefarious reason its tolerable to me

16. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've noticed lately that the Wal-mart in my town won't give refunds, they just tell you to go get the item you want and then they'll exchange it.

17. Megablah

Megablah Likes Universe Galvatron Veteran

News Credits:
    Walmart is pretty easy to return stuff too (since they are so big and the people who work there usually don't care).

HOWEVER, I would recommend watching these two videos first (done by tfwiki's own Chris Mcfeely) and then make a decision whether to keep it or not.
    YouTube - McFeely Mumblings: ROTF Soundwave, Part 1
    YouTube - McFeely Mumblings: ROTF Soundwave, Part 2

I really do like this guy and it would be a shame to return it because the instructions aren't clear. Part of the fun of this guy is that you can have his alt mode be any way you want it to be.

18. Rahal Stmin

Rahal Stmin Bounty Hunter

Ebay:
    Oh, the number of times I've done this.....

19. SectorStar

SectorStar Knightcron

Those were actually the ones I had looked at first along with about 8 others I was looking through lol. I'll admit as a stand alone figure it isn't bad, but for play value (which even at 21 I still like to play with them sometimes lol) it's not that great when I have that much trouble with it. And rather they give me a straight exchange or refund won't matter, I still intend on getting a different one either way.

20. blumpy2000

blumpy2000 PENGUINS CAN'T FLY!!!

I personally have seen tons of TF's at the Walmart near me that were returned mid transformation. Ironhide, Mixmaster and a Smokescreen come to mind. Smokescreen's blister card was thrashed. I'd say if they won't let you return it try again when different employee is there.

Be proud dude, my 32 year old buddy came over and checked out my ROTF Jetfire a while back. He swooshed him around in alt mode and made jet noises with his mouth despite the toy ACTUALLY HAVING jet noises.