Returning to WoW with the Expac?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Dalarsco, Aug 20, 2006.

1. Dalarsco

Dalarsco Kickback=ROCK

So, any other lapsed WoW players planning to start up again once the Expac is released? It got sort of boring for me, but the Blood Elves and Dranei look so cool that I just have to try it out again.

2. Doctor Doom

Doctor Doom Doom is best pony Veteran

It's supposed, from a WoW-addicted co-worker, to be out November(ish) or early 1st Quater '07.

3. Kickback

Kickback @GeekWithChris Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Nothing changes on it, other than two new player races. No PvP changes until "late next year" and all that crap. New high end content. What's so fun about that, unless you're level 60 and bored?

4. Savanna

Savanna Want to Touch my Wankel?

New Flying mounts that will cost you a arm and a leg to buy.

5. drippy

drippy Well-Known Member

Nope.

I simply don't have the necessary hours upon hours to play WoW. I can't see ever going back.

Ah well. I had an absolute blast playing in the closed beta all the way through the first year of retail.

6. Dalarsco

Dalarsco Kickback=ROCK

The new player races are exactly what I like. I got bored of the old ones already, and the Dranei are a very cool lore addition. Also, a friend of mine got the game after I stopped playing, and I had already gotten CoX which I since got bored of. Maybe having a friend to play with will keep me interested. That and not playing a Pally as my main. That really killed the game for me.

7. Kickback

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    But there are no new classes. Just new races. You're playing the same game, hell, the same Elves (only Horde), and only ONE real new race. It's tempting but I don't have the time to committ, nor the money, and I just can't see spending $50 for an expansion that will be $20 six months later.

I loved WoW, almost as much as Ultima Online in the early days. But sometimes you just have to move on. Now, if my friend who is bug-testing Warhammer Online says his game is any good... ;) 

8. Dalarsco

Dalarsco Kickback=ROCK

Ya, the classes are the same but maybe the new quest areas will be better. I never even used all the old classes, I just lost interest due to a combination of my guild vanishing while I was on vacation and my main being a Pally. Pally's are fine while you have people to play with, but alone it just got so boring and I had already done the quests that my alts were at.

9. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

$50 for an expansion? Hello rip-off! At least SOE never stooped that low, though I sure the thought crossed their minds.

I tried WoW when it became popular. I had needed a break from SWG. I quickly went back to SWG after about 4 days in WoW. I had never seen a more kiddie-fied traditional MMO. WoW is aimed at the masses being very basic and lacking any real depth. Its either instanced PvP or the same instanced PvE time and time again. City of Heroes copied the simplistic model, but went even more simplistic. I can only stand so much of that game at a time.

After the success of both WoW and CoH, SOE decided SWG needed to be more kiddie friendly like those two games, and completely ruined the single most original, indepth, rich, wonderful MMO ever created, Star Wars: Galaxies. Simplifying the combat to cheesy WoW/CoH combat (lack of) standards. Killing off the need for crafters, destroying the economy, making fucking Jedi a starting fucking class, doing away with the rich 34 different professions and condensing everything into a shitty 9 classes so that everyone is basically a clone of everyone else. Yes, I'm still bitter.

I guess my entire point of this rant is that WoW has ruined MMO's. Since SOE destroyed SWG, there hasn't been a decent MMO out there that comes close to how indepth, classic, interesting, different, and exciting SWG was.

/rant

10. Dalarsco

Dalarsco Kickback=ROCK

Wow. A few things:
    1. While many major quests end in instances, the grand majority of WoWs PvE is outdoor. The PvP used to be like that too until they made a very bad Dishonor system. It is simply a choice of the players to not bother to do outdoor PvP because they just want high PvP ranks. Of course this is being slightly remedied since the new X-Pac areas are all PvP all the time.
    2. Yes, WoW is quite simple in many places. What is deep about it is the mythos. Warcraft has thousands of years of history and a deep, multilayered plot. What other MMO actually has websites dedicated to the LORE? Many people (myself included) much prefer to play a game that we can learn the HOW fast and then just enjoy the story unfolding around us.
    3. Is it seriously $50 for the X-PAC!:eek:  I might just wait a few months after the X-Pac comes out, then.

11. Kickback

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    I'd actually say EVERQUEST ruined MMO's. With their whole "No PvP" style, they attracted MILLIONS of subscribers, causing Ultima Online (PvP anywhere outside cities, also known as REALISTIC) to create alternate realities (Felucca PVP and Trammel No PVP).

Ultima Online was the greatest MMORPG of all time, and there are people who will tell you stories (myself included) of how great it was. If you're ever curious, just ask, I'll share stories that will make you go "WTF" and wish you were alive to play it.

12. Caterwaul

Caterwaul Busou Shinki Loremaster

I'm planning to come back for the expansion. Level 70 means I actually have a few new reasons to explore around a bit, and makes it easier to do 5 man runs for gear...so you can do the new 25 man raids for even l33t3r gear.

Of course, this is all just to tied me over until W.A.R. shows up.
    WAAAGGGHHH!!!

13. Dalarsco

Dalarsco Kickback=ROCK

Wow, according to Best Buy it is going to be $50 CND. I think I'll wait a few months after it comes out. I don't like to pay more than $40 CND for an XPac.