Return to Silent Hill in "Silent Hill 8"(working title)

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Keroshino, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Keroshino

Keroshino OOGA, OOGA, OOGA-CHAKA!!!

News Credits:

Oh, like you didn't think this would happen.
    In a surprise to absolutely no one, Konami has announced Silent Hill 8(don't worry, it's just a working title)
    being developed by Czech developer "Vatra Games" for Xbox 360 and Playstation 3.

As reported on Kotaku, Silent Hill 8 will cast players in the role of Murphy Pendleton, an escaped prisoner who winds up in Silent Hill.
    Yeesh, poor sap was better off in the clink.
    There will be an emphasis on using everyday objects as weapons,

and Konami says that the game will appeal to "fans of the early Silent Hill games".

However, series composer Akira Yamaoka will not be handling musical duties this time around.
    Instead, the score will be handled by Daniel Licht,
    who has composed for such films as Hellraiser and Children of the Corn, and most recently has handled the scoring for TV's Dexter

any thoughts?
    mine...I will give it a chance (since i like the Silent Hill series)
    Don't let me down SH 8. I've played every game before this one, and I'm sticking with you.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  2. Scythe

Scythe Future Foundation

News Credits:
    Looks rad.

3. Keroshino

News Credits:
    agreed...i just hope that it can recapture the essence of Silent Hil

4. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've enjoyed them all... but one thing that kept them feeling cohesive was the music, and with a new composer, I have a feeling it could be the REAL downfall of the series everyone has been claiming since "The Room". I will play it though, it deserves a chance.

5. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I agree. This looks more like Silent Hill than Homecoming though, but the music in SH series plays more of a role than even the graphics, in that I can still get creeped out by SH1 simply due to the score.

6. adamthered

adamthered Reads comics. Starts shit

News Credits:
    How is this Silent Hill 8?

There's 1-4, Origins, Homecoming, the Shattered Memories (a remake of 1). I guessing they're counting the remake.

7. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The movie?

8. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    I think Silent Hill 8 is just a working title, but if not then I guess they are counting the remake.

Despite the change of music, if they made Silent Hill explorable the same way it was in 1 and 2, and maintained a good mindf**k story, then it should still at least be a good game.

EVERYTIME I turn part 2 on, I'm always amazed at the atmosphere they somehow pulled off on the PS2. Even to this day I can't think of any games that capture a similar vibe. It's really to bad that seemingly can't be pulled off again.

9. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not to mention Heather's facial texturing in SH3. It still looks amazing. I thought Homecoming was a step backwards. Homecoming also forgot that some of us like our Vertical camera reversed.

This looks promising. I'd still get it, despite the music, if the game plays and feels like a Silent Hill game.

10. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    I still couldn't believe the early screenshots of Heather, thinking they had to be prerendered. I agree that somehow Homecoming looks worse. In fact, one of my earliest projects in college was to make a black and white pastel picture from a photo, and I used one of the screenshots of Heather just because the texture work was do detailed.

11. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Dude, when she's in the car with the Detective, and it's raining. You see the bloody moister in here eyes. It looked amazing. And it still does, hehe.

12. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    I could have watched an entire movie using the realtime engine from 3, it was that good. The scene in the car not only looked great, but had one of the best songs from the series playing, which is the same song playing during the early car scene in the Silent Hill movie. But there's the problem- the new game may look great but it won't have the music to match.

13. E. C. R. Former

E. C. R. Former Is probably insane...

Origins is considered 5, Homecoming is considered 6, and Shattered Memories is considered 7. I'm with Liege Prime on this: "8" is probably just a working title.

14. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    It looks better than homecoming and that horrible Wii game, but it still seems to focus on combat and in-your-face monsters more than anything else. The first three games were so cool because of the overall atmosphere. Team Silent needs to get off their asses and show everyone how it's done all over again.

15. Darkwing48

Darkwing48 Heroic Decepticon

OMG I'm still too scared to finish 1. This will be on my list.

16. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Did you really not like Shattered? I know it messed with the Carry a Gun formula, but the game did some very creative things, what with it being a "Shattered memory" you were reliving, and how, when you colored your house at the shrink's office, your real house ended up looking like that. The music was awesome too.

17. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    Actually, in your face monsters was one of my issues with SH3. I love the game, but it didn't have the exploration factor of the first two and just kept pushing you into more monster filled corridors. The story, characters, and ultimately music still made it a great game, but it lost a little from 1 and 2.

18. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    I thought their heart was in the right place, but the game ended up being too glitchy for me. I know with any Wii game it's going to be packed with gimmicks right out of the gate, but "Shattered" ended up being full of too many half-baked ideas for my tastes.

That is true. 3 is the most action-oriented of the original trilogy. Still, it carried over that nice balance of creepy and scary that the first two created. But the second game is still my favorite.

19. Keroshino

News Credits:
    Silent Hill 4: The Room will always be my favorite SH game.
    (not saying i don't like the other games in the series...SH2 is my #2 favorite)