Return of KITTY PRYDE!

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Lumpy, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
  2. Optimus1986

Optimus1986 TMNT & Hulk Fanatic

Great. I like her character.

3. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    Seriously, what is this?

The billionth character to come back from the dead.

4. yodafett

yodafett Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    When did she die?

5. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    About damn time. That giant space bullet was one of the stupidest things ever. I still maintain that someone who couldn't be bothered to put out more than three issues of his comic a year had no right to make any sort of drastic change to a character that's part of a larger franchise; even if he is Joss Whedon.

And for AniProwl and yodafett: Kitty wasn't dead. She was trapped in a giant bullet that was flying through space. Yes, it's every bit as lame as it sounds.

6. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun UNLEASHED!

News Credits:
    a flying space bullet?
    Man, I havn't read an Xbook since the late 80s (good old Essential reprints)

7. megatronkicksas

megatronkicksas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    FUCK YEAH!

Astonishing

8. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I have to disagree with you here. I just reread Whedon's run last week. It holds up very well considering how awful the X-Universe is right now. It really captured every aspect that made the X-Men great in the late 70s and 80s.

Besides, how could you not love the giant space bullet. It's wonderfully simplistic and original. So many alien races have tried destroyed the Earth with overly complicated weapons and places, but Ord's people came up with an unstoppable bullet.

And Whedon did a fine job of setting up Kitty's big sacrfice early in the run, and at least it wasn't a true death so she could eventually come back without some silly resurrection.

9. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I liked Whedon's first arc. The second one (where the Danger Room becomes a robot and tries to kill everyone) was both a complete retread of the time Cerebros became a robot and tried to kill everyone and suffered from a terrible ending. The third arc had awful pacing made worse by extreme delay between issues, and the final arc was better but again hampered by a shit ending. I like Joss Whedon, I really do, but the man cannot write comic books. He doesn't have a good grasp on how to end a story arc and his approach to pacing is even worse than Bendis or Meltzer's.

And how can I not love the concept of an alien world from outside the solar system shooting a giant bullet at Earth? Because physics. I can put up with a lot in comics (especially the really wacky Silver Age DC stuff), but a giant metal projectile flying fast enough that it travels to Earth from another solar system in the space of a few hours? With no form of propulsion beyond the initial launch? Man, even 1960s Jerry Siegel would look at that and go "hang on a minute."

10. smkspy

I tend to forgive pacing if everything is entertaining, and all of Whedon's arcs were entertaining in that they captured what made the X-Men of the 70s and 80s great. Though he also retreaded the Cure idea with his first arc, but he even admitted that he hadn't read X-Men in a long long while coming up with his ideas.

Physics doesn't allow shape changers either, but they're a mainstay of comics. It did have propulsion though, the Ord people slingshoted the bullet around some moon so that it could maintain and pick up velocity.

And you're really gonna nitpick time in comics? It's such thin concept in the comic world that it almost has no actual meaning.

11. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

Yes, she's back! No, I still don't care about the X-universe!

12. bigkid24

bigkid24 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wow. Everything said in this thread is pretty much why I don't freaking read comics anymore. Although if the bullet was done in some tongue-in-cheek kind of way I could accept it.

I used to love the line up of the pre issue 200 X-men so it's nice to see her back even if the X-men aren't my thing anymore.

13. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This^. I LOVED Whedon's arc. It bought back good moments when I read X-men back. I got so upset at the end bc of how unresolved Kitty's fate was. I can't wait for this!

14. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

As much as I enjoyed Joss Whedon's run on Astonishing X-Men, with John Cassaday, I absolutely HATED WITH A FIERY PASSION what he did to Kitty. Getting her back with Colossus was great, but shooting her off into space in a giant bullet was just utter BS. It's great that she made the sacrifice to save the Earth, but the fact that the X-Men didn't even try to help her out after the fact really annoys me.

15. smkspy

Though you could see it coming a mile away from the beginning of the run. The entire series was Whedon's ode to Kitty, and he journey as an X-man. The "sacrifice" was her shining moment to do what every single great X-man of that "New" era has done....go out in a blaze of glory. Besides he left open for her to return at any point. It wasn't like he killed her or worse, turn her into nothing more than a background character like the majority of classic characters have become. Look at the X-books today, the third main titles (Uncanny, Legacy, and Astonishing) are all about Emma, Cyclops, Wolverine, Rogue, and to a certain extent Beast. Long standing characters core members are talking pieces making random cameos at best.

Though to tell the truth, I'm actually surprised that editorial took this long for her to return. So I really can't blame Whedon for leaving Kitty's fate up in the air. He wanted to leave the series with the feeling that something epic had happened. If I blame anyone, it's Ellis, Brubaker, and the editor's decision to essentially abandon that plot point until now apparently.

16. Empir3

Empir3 Bedstructicon Empir3

Cant wait to see how they get her out of that bullet. I really loved Whedon's run on astonishing and what he did with kitty. :D 

17. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

I must be one of the only people who doesn't like Kitty. I've always found her to be an obnixious, whiny character with a really lame power.

But then again, I haven't read X-Men since Morrison's clusterfuck.

18. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:

Exactly. I got upset at the end of the arc BECAUSE he got me to care about Kitty where I just thought she was ok. Most comics these days get mostly a "meh" reaction.

19. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

Look when Jo Q is gone I'll pick up a marvel comic again, kitty returning just mean he has a shot a fucking up her charicter beyond all reason, I feel better for the charicters that stay dead in marvel at this point.

20. uzi_the_klown

uzi_the_klown Well-Known Member

now bring banshee back