Return of KB Toys!

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Orbitalchaos, Mar 18, 2018.

1. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    It slipped my mind that Shopkins were toys. I thought they were some little Clippy type "buddy" you bought through an app that danced around in the corner of your screen. Honestly there is so much non-interactive junk in the stores (miniature helmets, tiny pewter statues, boxed coins, Pops, etc) that alot of it just runs together.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  2. teemu8

teemu8 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Then don't listen then. Ignorance is bliss.

3. Hoffman

Hoffman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Meh, I've been reading that video games will kill toys since I started collecting around 2000. Almost 20 years later and toys are still being sold. I have 2 kids, and they still want new toys all the time.

Anecdotal, yes, but toys are not going to go away. Yeah the market may contract, but there will always be some sort of market. 20 years of fluctuating trends does not equate to 'dying' in my eyes.

Right now, to me the issue isn't the market size, it's people racing to bottom, either by choice or by economic factors beyond their control. People are chasing discounts or settling for whatever junk they can find at WalMart, which does hurt the mid-range market.

• Like Like x 4
  4. G.B. Blackrock

G.B. Blackrock Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    There's also plenty of evidence to suggest brick-and-mortar won't completely evaporate. The market is absolutely being changed by online commerce, and any retailer that wants to survive will have to account for this reality. But that doesn't mean brick-and-mortar is dying. It will always have a place. That place is simply changing.

• Like Like x 3
  5. RKillian

News Credits:
    Doesn't that mean the mid-range market is shrinking?

6. stad

stad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Setting aside attitudes, and emotions, there's no question the toy market is shrinking drastically from "our" heyday (80s-90s.)
    No, it's not going to disappear completely, and yes, more of it will transition to online vs. brick-and-mortar.
    That doesn't change the fact that, generally speaking, kids stop playing with toys earlier than they used to - I see it with my own kids, despite my best efforts (and extensive amount of toys here!) They're not going to completely stop, babies and toddlers are always going to have some sort of toys. But they are leaving them as a primary play pattern at younger and younger ages, which narrows the market. Yes, the adult collector market is big, and even if it is increasing, the increase of that market is miniscule compared to the drop in the kid's market.
    And has been mentioned many times already, the small manufacturers/toy lines are what's going to take the biggest hit from TRU closing. Hasbro, Mattel, aren't going to see a 15-20% drop in sales because the retailer with that amount of market goes out of business - a large portion of those sales will be absorbed by the other retailers (online or B&M) with only a relatively small percentage simply being lost.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Hoffman

Hoffman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes, but that doesn't mean that the toy industry is dying or that kids won't play with toys anymore. Those are the kind of statements I take exception to since it's been the same 'sky is falling' rhetoric I've been hearing for 20 years.

The mid-range market may disappear completely. Not just in toys, in all retail sectors. But there will always be the big generic stores and small niche markets. The niche toy market could possibly even grow if mass toys move to slimmer assortments due to less retail space. Unfortunately in the context of Transformers, there won't be anything to be gained by that, as Hasbro will always be strangled by the big retailers. But other types of specialty toys might end up doing just fine.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Venixion

Venixion Member of the notorious Pew-Pew Posse

News Credits:

Shopkins are freaking cute. I've been thinking of collecting some myself. Love the playsets. My kid has a nice little collection and those and the playsets are perfect for a dollhouse.

9. Venixion

Venixion Member of the notorious Pew-Pew Posse

News Credits:

Really? Because the ones I went to stayed at the same location until the company went belly up.

10. RKillian

News Credits:
    And I didn't want to believe either until it was right up in my face. I spent 15 years complaining about distribution being terrible and 5 years learning why it was. Although, as far as I'm concerned, the mid-range market _is_ the market. So if it disappears, that's it, I've checked out. Won't ever afford a Porsche, not interested in a Smart Car, so you'll have to take my Ford from my cold dead hands.

• Like Like x 2
  11. AzT

AzT Azlaroc, Yeargroup 431 Moderator News Staff TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    KB Toys

• Like Like x 5
  12. AzT

News Credits:
    KB Toys
    PlayCon - Schedule of Events

• Like Like x 1
  13. jaws

jaws Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I spent a lot of time in KB Toys as a kid, bring back my childhood memories.

• Like Like x 3
  14. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Toys have been around for thousands of years, they aren't going anywhere. Virtual pets, gadgets and whatever else may be popular, but they will not completely replace the tactile sensations of an object in a kid's hand. Miniature representations of things for play are part of us as a species.

Last edited: May 8, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  15. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's evil!"

News Credits:
  16. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's evil!"

News Credits:
    The stand out thing about today's youth is that they are creators. That's why LEGO still stands tall as a toy. Hasbro has tried several times to get into the creative field with their properties and failed. I don't think they quite understand the psychology of the youth consumer and were restricting themselves in a budgetary sense when experimenting.

17. AzT

News Credits:
    :thumb  KB Toys
    KB comes in around 48:35 - 1:12:48

• Like Like x 1
  18. seanlockyer

seanlockyer UCF: The REAL 2017 National Champions

Ebay:
    This entire thing with the dedicated "toy store nerd" sounds like a good attempt to combat and prevent scalping up front.

• Like Like x 4
  19. Black Conoy

Black Conoy Well-Known Member

YouTube:
    I miss the KB toys that used to be at my mall, I went there more than toys r us when I was younger 

• Like Like x 2
  20. dirtweed

dirtweed Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If I was rich and was looking for an investment the last place I would put my money is in a b&m toy store.

• Like Like x 1