Retro gaming on a Plasma TV

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by KARR, Jan 2, 2012.

1. KARR

KARR Roving Robot

I'm thinking about buying a new TV; and since I spend most of my TV time playing video games, I'm leaning towards a plasma. My concern is this: in addition to playing my Xbox 360, I do a lot of retro gaming with my NES/SNES. Most of these old video games have HUDs that stay constant during gameplay, which could present a problem with the whole "burn-in" issue that plasma tvs seem to have.

I've been reading online, however, that burn-in is a thing of the past and that newer plasma tv models do not have this issue. Can anyone confirm this? Any help or advice would be much appreciated!

2. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I wouldn't say the burn-in is a thing of the past, but it is certainly much less likely to happen now.
    LED might be a little safer.

3. DeathAnghell

DeathAnghell Beast Wars!

Burn in's on Plasma TV's can still happen, but it doesn't happen that often.

My mom has a 42 inch LG Plasma TV from mid 2005 and burn in's were never a problem. The TV would be on news channels for hours with the channel's logo in the corner and it never permanently burned in. The logo might stay for an hour after the TV was shut off, but it only happened a few times.

4. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Image persistence is definitely not a thing of the past. However, most plasmas will have some sort of screen protection systems like pixel shifting (ie it shifts everything every few seconds in an essentially unnoticeable way), as well as screen wipers which will help to remove any persistent images.

With older games though I would agree that an led would likely be the better way to go. I've got a samsung plasma and even with the protection on I still get occasional persistence of images when playing games with a persistent hud.

5. KARR

KARR Roving Robot

Thanks for the help guys! It seems the more research I do I'm finding that burn-in is still a reality with plasma tvs, but you really have to try pretty hard to make it happen.

6. KARR

KARR Roving Robot

And if I'm not mistaken, occasional persistent images are normal and do fade away after a few hours/days. I guess they call it IR or image retention.

7. Kuma Style

Kuma Style Toy Photography TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    I have two plasmas (I won't do anything else after going plasma... no comparison), and one is a Samsung, and the other is a Pioneer Elite Kuro.

Neither gets burn-in, and I do both retro and new-aged gaming on them. After the initial burn-in period with them, neither even has image retention anymore.

8. turboedguy

turboedguy minibotologist

News Credits:
    :thumbs2: 

9g Pioneer Kuro, still the best TV ever made.

My 60" 9g Kuro 6020fd with Elite board swap. (essentially a elite pro151fd)

[​IMG]

Its about the black levels baby! notice the elite "pro adjust":wink: 
    [​IMG]

I also had a Samsung 58" plasma before the Kuro, but it was a 2008 model and very prone to IR, I returned it and coughed up the difference for the Kuro.

9. Eric

Eric Per sempre marciamo.

News Credits:
    While we're on the topic of retro gaming, I've been planning on getting an N64 to restart my N64 game collection again. I did just get an LED HDTV this Christmas, and I'm wondering if it'll work. The last HDTV I owned, an N64 DID work, but it was in black and white. I think that one was a plasma screen, so maybe an LED screen wouldn't have that problem.

10. Kuma Style

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    Cool. Mine's a Pro-111FD though. ;) 

And the one in the Gameroom/TF room is a PN63C8000YF.

I'm doing ooooooooooooooooooook. But there are still other rooms I need to get together, so I've got a bit to do, especially considering I'm more of an audiophile than anything else.

But on topic then, you'll easily agree with burn-in/retention. It's not a prob at all.

There's no reason for any LED or plasma to do that besides not having your video cable(s) installed correctly.

11. turboedguy

turboedguy minibotologist

News Credits:
    Well, as a member on the AVS forums too, I think burn-in is much, much less an issue than it used to be, but not impossible. Most the issues are with IR, but every once in a while there are those that have some permanent issues. If there are any still images on a game, or whatever, as long as you don't leave them on for 5+ hours, there shouldn't be issues. Most TVs also have pixel shifting options, and screen wipe functions that will clean most IR. And once the screen is broken in, it is much less susceptible to any retention.

All in all, the benefits of plasma (faster response time, better black levels, better color gamut, etc...) outweigh the issues.

As far as the b&w issue posted, it was probably an issue with the input settings, or cables.

12. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Ive played my SNES and Genesis on our 42 in Plasma and its been fine

13. Kuma Style

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    Hey nice. I'm on AVS as well (tjduckett). :)