Retro Game Thread

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by damian_1349, Apr 4, 2012.

1. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime Unlikeable dry-skinned biped

I've tried other collection tracking sites like shmax.com for my TF collection, and I find shmax somewhat cumbersome, but VGCollect works very well and is easy to use, even on my phone. TFW member @Tripredacus is a fixture on their forums. It keeps track of many different variants, too...I had to inspect some of my NES carts to see if they were 3-screw or 5-screw :D  I still need to check a few to see if they have oval or round Nintendo seals of approval...

I'm in the same boat, though, in that I don't necessarily have a ton of games on any one system (the most I have is 123 for NES, which isn't a lot considering the volume of software for the NES) but it does all add up over 30+ years of new consoles and rarely selling anything. I only found out a few weeks ago that I own 2 copies of Katamari Damacy for PS1...I have ZERO clue how that happened, and it's hilarious that it's taken me this long to notice :lol 

EDIT: I noticed I've forgotten to add most of my actual hardware to my VGCollect list. When I went to add my original Genesis, I realized I had no idea what model it is because I bought it from someone in high school, not from a store. I knew it was an early model, though, because the guy sold me Altered Beast with it and Sonic the Hedgehog wasn't out in stores yet. After a bit of research, turns out it's an early Model I, with no licensing message on startup and it has the headphone jack...cool!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Boulder

Boulder Rock Lord

Damn! 123 NES titles! Tgough I somehow accumulated 72 PS3 games despite having a $10 cutoff at one point. (Thank you Sears clearance sales.)
    Full rundown looks something like:
    Atari: 47x2600, 9x5200, 6x7800, 3xJaguar, 1x2600 Supercharger
    Sega: 5xSMS, 6xSG-1000, 11xGen, 4x32X, 10xSCD, 1x32XCD, 46xDC, 7xSat, 12xGG
    Nintendo: 32xNES, 3xFC, 2xFDS, 28xSNES, 9xSFC, 23xN64, 12xGC, 10xWii, 8xWiiU, 9xGB/GBC, 8xGBA, 6xDS, 7x3DS
    Microsoft: 6xXB, 10xX360, 1xXB1 despite not even owning the system. (I wanted the Disney Infinity figures and it was like $4 at Toys R Us.)
    SONY: 26xPS1, 37xPS2, 16xPS4, 73xPS3, 9xPSP, 1xVita
    Misc: 4xCD-i, 9x3DO, 2xTG-16, 1xTurboCD, 4xAction Max (though I have a DVD with the 5th game), 3xGamewave, 2xNuon, 2xXavixPort, 4xStudioII, 16xColecovision, 17xIntellivision, 2xChannel F, 2xVectrex, 2xMicrovision, 5xWonderswan/WSColor, 4xNGage, 2xNeoGeo Pocket/NGPColor.

( I'm old and keep all my games and I'm extremely patient for a good deal. It also helps that I worked in an office where they didn't mind me spending so much time watching ebay.)

• Like Like x 2
  3. Sixwing

Sixwing You have chosen poorly

That's quite a list! Any favorites?

4. Boulder

Boulder Rock Lord

Too many. That's part of my problem and what led me to pick up additional consoles. Among games, any of the Final Fantasy titles, Uncharted, Metroid, Mega Man, Castlevania, Mario Kart, and any of the games like them. I also have a strange affinity for games that are "almost good." I enjoy games like Wand of Gamelon (CDi), Jurassic Park (3DO) and Iron Soldier (Jaguar) where you can see what they were going for but they just didn't pull off.

Among systems, mostly the Nintendo and Sony consoles.

5. Sixwing

I'm also a Nintendo fan as well. I don't really have any experience with Sony though.

6. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I have no regrets. There is basically no downside other than the price.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  7. andyz

andyz Banned

Quest for Glory is my personal favorite retro!

• Like Like x 1
  8. UndertakerPrime

Wow, you have a lot more individual consoles than I do. I never had a PSP, 3DO, or even a TG-16. The only consoles I ever got rid of are my original Atari 2600, which we gave away to some friends before moving almost 30 years ago, and my Wii, which I re-bought a couple years later. All my other consoles were bought at retail (well, except for my X360, which is a refurbished one sent to me by Microsoft after my original RROD'd on me).

According to my collection count, after my NES games, the most I have is 78 for my SNES, followed by 61 for my PS1. Makes sense, since the SNES is probably my favorite console ever. It's amazing how many quality games came out for that thing.

I've always been a Nintendo supporter because the quality of their products has always been top-notch, but they've lost me over the last few years. My Wii sat unused for 2 years before I finally sold it, and I had zero interest in the Wii U or the 3DS. I've heard good things about the Switch, but the whole portability aspect of it is useless to me.

• Like Like x 1
  9. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Nintendo's games on Switch (including the ports from Wii U) are among the best Nintendo has ever made. That stays true even if you never take the system out of its dock.

• Like Like x 1
  10. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

I don't see why also being portable is a reason to be put off Switch, doing both is the whole point of the system and if you just want a static console connected to your TV then just leave it in the dock. I brought it with the intention of doing exactly that, but have ended up using it handheld when i've gone to stay places or have been sick in bed.

Nintendo never fell off as developer and publisher regardless of what was going on with the hardware, totally agree with FP that Wii U and Switch have had some of the best games they've ever made. The latter will probably end up having the best first party line up they've had since SNES.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Sixwing

The 3DS is good if you're on a budget. And yeah, I completely agree that Nintendo means quality games.

12. UndertakerPrime

I was able to figure out what was going on, and if I had gotten my head out of my anus I wouldn’t have had to bug anyone on this board about it.

I checked again and verified that the problem with the PS2 was a very static-y picture, with very noticeable grey splotches on the black boot-up screen. I use my original Xbox with component cables on the same TV, and they don’t have the same problem. So, it’s definitely not the TV. Looks like I just have shitty PS2 component cables. Now I just need to find some PS2-compatible component cables that aren’t cheap crap.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Sixwing

Good luck!

14. Cracka J

Cracka J judas in my mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    there used to be a collection picture thread here too it was filled with a lot of awesomeness. we should try to resurrect that with some new photos of collections.

I love all you guys are posting text collections but i hate reading lists and would love to see some glorious pics!

edit: still had it in my watched threads! a lot of broken pics now but there is still a lot of goodness!
    Recall's Gaming Collection Photo Thread - You can show your stuff here too.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Sixwing

I can try to post pics sometime.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

1998-2019 21 year old games and their batteries have not died yet, my original saves in yellow, ages, seasons and red are still intact currently. I really should get a retron 5 and back them up for posterities sake.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Boulder

Boulder Rock Lord

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  18. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  19. Cracka J

Cracka J judas in my mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    won a super analogue nt for a bit under retail (fami ver). pretty excited and need to get a couple wireless controllers now!

• Like Like x 3
  20. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

So I went onto the PSN store today and what should I find, a small sale happening with Dino Crisis and Dino Crisis 2 being half off. 3$ each I figured why not, I never played'em before, but I heard good things about them. This is a pretty decent game so far on Easy. (Yeah I picked easy, I tend to go for that before I hit the harder difficulty settings.) All I gotta say is, conserve ammo, avoid anything to do with the T-Rex and... did I find a glitch or something? The Rex popped its head into the Chief's Office the first time I went in there, I was chomped and somehow revived (game logic go figure) and the second time the Rex didn't stick its head in... so... uh, guess I'm just confused. Thought I had to figure out how to avoid it or something since apparently tranque darts did nothing.

Oh well, tank controls to work with again.

• Like Like x 2