Retro Game Thread

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by damian_1349, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Boulder

Boulder Rock Lord

Be prepared to die a lot. Like all the freakin' time. The game is difficult and completely unfair.

We didn't know anything about ergonomic design yet. Having only one button restricted game design and was a fatal flaw of the 7600. I don't know why I've never used one myself, but a Genesis controller uses the same pin design and will work if you don't feel comfortable using the Atari controller. (The "B" button is the only one that works.)

2. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I'm pretty sure the 7800 controller had two buttons. The "europad" version definitely did.

3. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime Not put upon this world to "get it"

Yes, it did have the solenoid. I didn’t realize the newer cabinet didn’t have it. The side art was also kinda worn, but it was still in pretty good shape.

4. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

What I love is there is evidence that Doki Doki panic was originally intended to be SMB 2 to begin with, then got shifted over to Doki Doki Panic, then re-skinned into Mario Bros 2 again. ;P

5. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime Not put upon this world to "get it"

When I start playing Gauntlet Dark Legacy, I...just...can't...stop.....
    It's so frickin' addicting. I finished off the Forest Realm last night and went back to defeat a couple of bosses I held off on until I got the Legendary Weapons to make the battles easier.
    I love the level layout, where if you get enough crystals you can skip ahead, and you can put off earlier levels or bosses until you're stronger.

I love the music and I've tried downloading the soundtrack, but apparently it never received an official soundtrack release and all the MP3 compilations I've found are of iffy quality. So I'm working on putting together a soundtrack myself using the original gamerip. As someone who often dabbles in music editing, it's weird to me to see the inconsistency in this game's music files. Some are 44100kbps, most are 24000kbps, some are even as low as 18000kbps. Some are stereo, some are not (most of the music from the Forest Realm stages is mono). My MP3 encoder won't even make MP3s using bitrates that low LOL. It has to upsample to 32000kbps.

6. Boulder

Boulder Rock Lord

It did indeed have two buttons. I had a brain fart when what I meant to say was "2600". What they did was overcompensate with the 5200 by giving it too many buttons. Also the non centering joystick. And the horrible way that the controllers were wired. (Many of the problems that people experience with "unresponsive controllers" are actually in the console itself.) I didn't mean to take a cheap shot at the 7800 out of nowhere.

From what I understand, Miyamoto's team was working on tech project to see if they could get the NES to handle vertical scrolling. All that survived from the tech project was the first screen where you fall for two screens (because that's the limit of the NES's vertical scroll) and then land on a hill. It was only later after a couple of false starts that it became part of an actual game.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  7. flamepanther

I vaguely recall reading that someone on Miyamoto's team had wanted to develop it into a vertically-scrolling 2-player simultaneous Mario game, but it got shelved. I don't think it was ever meant to be the sequel to Super Mario Bros though--just a different game with Mario in it.

Still, Yume Kojo: Doki-Doki Panic does retain some subtle Mario elements besides platforming. The POW block from the original arcade Mario Bros is there. I think I remember the star item being there too.

8. The Barracuda

The Barracuda Retro, bitches.

Yeah, I remember reading the same thing too. I think Miyamoto and/or one of his team members wanted to build a vertically scrolling game but put it on hold when they ran into trouble. The concept was brought back out for Doki Doki Panic.

9. Rodimus74

Rodimus74 Well-Known Member

10. Boulder

Boulder Rock Lord

I don't recall anyone every saying that it was ever going to be a Mario game, but yes, a two player game in which you stacked blocks to reach higher points. Some of that survived to the final project. Unfortunately they couldn't get it to work as a two player game. But that was the game that eventually got turned into Doki Doki Panic though. (Level 7-1 really seems to show off what that game could have been.) Nintendo of Japan (NoJ) was looking for a way to export the game but since it was based on a Japanese promotion and staring Japanese celebrities there was no context for American audiences. When Nintendo of America (NoA) rejected Super Mario Bros 2 for being too harsh, reskinning the game for American audiences was win-win for both groups. NoA had a game to sell to a market demanding more Mario and NoJ had a way of selling Doki Doki Panic to a non-Japanese market. And as someone already said, a win-win-win as NoJ got to turn around and sell the game to the original market again.

I'm not sure how I feel about the across the board ban or striking him from the Guinness records. As swarmy as Billy Mitchell is, he has performed many of his feats (such as maxing out PacMan) in front of live audiences. (Twin Galaxies is the official registrar of video game records for Guinness.)

11. 19eightyONE

19eightyONE Well-Known Member

Hello all, I need opinions and thought this would be the best place to ask.

I have a Gamecube with a Gameboy Player (purchased at launch ages ago), misplaced the disk somehow. Wanted to know that is a decent price for the boot disk.

I poked around a bit online and the prices seems excessive---understandable because Nintendo dropped support a while back. I know "other" options exists such as ROMs and stuff, but I want to make it simple for the kiddos to just play old school Pokemon on the TV without repurchasing on virtual console.

12. The Barracuda

Unfortunately that disk might be a little pricey. The players themselves are a dime a dozen but the disc, maybe because it was smaller and easily lost, is much rarer. I remember getting my disc for about $50+ a few years ago. They range from $75 to $100 now, give or take.

13. 19eightyONE

19eightyONE Well-Known Member

Thanks for providing your input! So I look around for one in that price range without feeling ripped so much.

14. The Barracuda

Yeah, all you can do is try to find the best deal. The price is usually higher for a complete set (player, disc, case and manual). If you can just get the disc by itself, you might be able to save some cash.

15. flamepanther

If you're willing to install a mod chip, there are fan-made GBPlayer boot discs with enhanced features that you can get for free without resorting to piracy. Probably not what you're looking for, but putting it out there just in case.

• Like Like x 1
  16. ChromeMagnus

ChromeMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What's the quickest, easiest way to mod or update my American ps2 slim so that it becomes region free and can play Asian game discs and copies of those discs?

17. flamepanther

There are two relatively easy (i.e. no soldering) ways that I know of to play imports on a PS2. One is to use a Freeloader boot disc with a swap kit. With some minor effort, you can make the swapping easier by installing a flip-top case. Less easy but more practical in the long run is to make or obtain a Free McBoot memory card, and use that to load a disc swapping app.

• Like Like x 1
  18. ChromeMagnus

ChromeMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What makes the Free McBoot memory card option less easy?
    Where would I find a disc swapping app? Are there any recommended apps in particular?

19. flamepanther

The inconvenient part is making the card or getting someone to make one for you. It's been a long time since I needed to swap so I don't recall what I used or where I got it. But a quick search for Free McBoot guides should turn something up. I'd help more, but I've got stuff going on right now.

20. hugoboss

hugoboss Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I'm looking to add an Amiga CD32 to my "obscure" retro collection. I've been eyeing eBay and it seems like a broken lid is a common problem w/ the console. Anyone here own an Amiga CD32 (NTSC or PAL) and care to share their opinion? Which one should I get for use in the US?

Thanks