Retro Game Thread

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by damian_1349, Apr 4, 2012.

1. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Limited Edition Games is saying there are YouTube LPers attempting to blackmail them with threats of a smear campaign if they don't hook them up with a copy.

2. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    If true, that's a very shitty thing to do. I'm disappointed that was not able to get one along with Wonderboy, but I'm not bent out of shape and acting like a idiot.

3. The Barracuda

The Barracuda Retro, bitches.

Okay, so I pledged for one of these controllers.

Next Gen N64 Nintendo 64 Controller

Not bad for $20 (plus $20 shipping to Canada). We'll see how good they are. Seems to be a popular project as they still have 22 days to go are are at $116,000 of their $30,000 goal. I'd love to get myself a Hori controller but $100 isn't quite in the range of a casual pick-up off ebay.

4. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    Cool. that's one thing I did not like about the N64. The controller. But I would like that one.

5. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    There's an Indiegogo shitstorm that is upon us. And it is called hurirican "RetroEngine Sigma".

6. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Casual retrogamers buy magic beans instead of helping themselves, News at 11.

I'll be interested to hear about these when they get delivered. I'm up for the USB version if/when it happens, but i'm highly dubious about the quality at that price.

7. Megasquared

Megasquared Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is one of my favorite games as a kid and I'm so happy that it's getting a remake.

• Like Like x 2
  8. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime Unlikeable dry-skinned biped

I bought SNES Super R-Type back when it was new, but I didn't play it often. I remembered it being super frustrating, but I couldn't remember why because I haven't played it for so long and I've beaten a few hard shmups in my time.

Just read the Hardcore Gaming 101 article about it and it made me recall that it was so frustrating because you're sent back to the very beginning of a stage no matter where you die, including at the boss. Even the arcade version of the same game wasn't that sadistic and included mid-level checkpoints.

9. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    My Game Gear died on Saturday. I'm now a sad panda.

10. flamepanther

It's usually just the screen or the backlight that goes bad. Maybe you can find somebody to consolize it for you? Then you could at least get some sort of use out of it.

11. Boulder

Boulder Rock Lord

The Game Gear had an issue with the capacitors blowing regularly. If you can find someone who's handy with a soldering tool it may be a relatively easy fix.

12. Katamari Prime

Katamari Prime Hassan Chop!

Found a copy of Dr.Chaos CIB for under 20.00. Title got me interested, the story got me to buy.

13. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart. RIP Spike and Mojo.

9-9-95: Sony Playstation was released

9-9-99: Sega Dreamcast and Final Fantasy 8 was released.

14. Boulder

Boulder Rock Lord

I remember the Dreamcast launch. They did something really unique with their release; the street date for games and accessories was a week or so before the launch of the system itself. So you could buy Sonic Adventure or NFL2K and a VMU with nothing to play it on. While it may sound counterintuitive, it really helped increase the anticipation for the console. Plus, it allowed people to purchase games and accessories over a period of time without the sticker shock of the combined cost of console, memory cards, and games on Day 1.

EDIT: I can't find the exact release date for the games as everyone seems to be assuming that the launch titles made it to console street date but I distinctly recall that Sega dropped the street date on games and accessories. I don't recall precisely if this was a brilliant market strategy of the fortuitous result of a major retailer already having broken street date.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
  15. FanboyX

FanboyX is a real boy

K well i'm going to sing the joy song now.

I love this game. Just about to get the dragon in the playthrough i'm on now. I never could beat it as a kid!

16. Boulder

Boulder Rock Lord

I got through most of Secret of Mana by a combination of being patient and spamming magic attacks on bosses. That got me to the end fairly quickly. The problem though is that it got me there at much lower levels than the game expected. The last boss attacks your entire party before you can counterattack it so I couldn't survive the first wave and there's not a whole heck of a lot of chances to grind for experience points once you get to the end. Ultimately I gave up and it was one of the games that I traded in towards my Playstation.

17. flamepanther

You could probably buy a few Playstations with it now :( 

18. FanboyX

FanboyX is a real boy

I remember using a strategy guide for it eventually, and still not getting to Thanatos. On my WiiU playthrough, i'm playing without cheats and just wandering stubbornly in that area with the dragon and the map screens change seasons.

That's one reason i'm glad I reserved myself to legal digital downloads instead of trying to rebuild a physical collection well before curiousity drove me to look at auctions and sale listings. Convenience is the other.

19. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    What's a LPer? Let's Player? Is that where people play through games, video it and post it on Youtube? I had no idea that was even a thing... Why would you want to watch someone else play a game?

Certain games sure, like Space Channel 5 pt 2 (to learn the secret button presses) but most things? Really?

Anyway my Retro gaming continues unabated. Recent games added to my NTSC-J Saturn den are MSH vs SF, Sega Touring car and soon SFZII and Street Fighter, the game of the Movie of the game.

Ha.

20. Dean domino

Dean domino Well-Known Member

i just scored a box of snes games and i was wondering where would be the best place to sell them ?