Retro Game Thread

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by damian_1349, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Wingsbr

Wingsbr Christian TF Fan :)

News Credits:
    Always been a huge fan of Kid Icarus, SMB2, and Rygar. Lots of satisfaction when I beat Icarus and Rygar. Speaking of, is it me or do games seem to be easier or more forgiving than they used to be?

2. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ex-fucking-tremely!

Hell, Rygar had no save. So all that leveling and exploring had to be done in one sitting.

3. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I liked the difficulty in tmnt because while it was hard as hell at some points, it was generally fair at least. There weren't really many cases where there was nothing you could do to avoid being hit or enemies that would just always be able to hit you for some reason no matter what. As such, it felt more like an achievement than luck when you got to a new part of the game.

This Dingoo thing sounds interesting. I have my psp go running emulators for fun, so I might have to look into one of these since it sounds better at running the games.

4. Starfire22

Starfire22 :D

News Credits:
    Rush 'n attack anyone? :D 

5. damian_1349

damian_1349 Wrecker

Hey, just found a bunch of old systems for pretty cheap on kijiji.ca...love that site when it has worth while stuff..i think tfs will take a back seat for a little while lol

6. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

News Credits:
    I'm actually really looking forward to playing a bunch of modern 2-d games like hard corps and bloodrayne on psn. I'm currently playing rayman origins and it's giving me such a classic gaming feel that I miss in most other games. my wife was sitting next to me as I must have started the same sequence over like 30 times in about 10 minutes. she was like "this game's insane" and I was like, I know, that's why I love it!

7. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

Retro games...where extra content was unlocked/Game Genie'd (lol) instead of bought online.

8. Cracka J

Cracka J judas in my mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm gonna necro this thread because I think we really need a retro gaming discussion here and I've long forgotten to bookmark this. I was going to make a new thread but did a quick search to see this one, and actually surprised I had forgotten about it. Anyways.

What have you guys been playing? What games have you picked up or beaten again recently?

For myself, I fixed my wife's NES earlier this year and acquired a lot of games from her and my brother in law. Likes of megaman 3, 5, 6, rescue rangers, final fantasy, and quite a few others that were pretty damn awesome for free.

Picked up an excellent refurbished GBA a couple months ago off ebay, ags101 model with the dslite backlit screen. It's absolutely amazing. Amassed about a 20 game collection in the past couple months. Replayed all 3 GBA castlevanias, metroid fusion & zero mission, started on FFVI again - about a quarter of the way though.

Snagged a used genesis in great condition last night off a local craigslist guy. Model 2 and only sonic 2 came with but works great. The RF has a busted prong so it doesn't get sound but I already have a new AV coming for my nomad that will work great with it. Tested the cable with my nomad and still didn't get sound out of the TV (came out of the nomad though), so I assume the system is fine just the RF cable is shot. We'll see.

But anyway, yeah, much needed thread. I do a lot more retro gaming right now then anything else. Keep this thing alive :D 

9. Starscreamer95

Starscreamer95 Barely active here

News Credits:
    What actually counts as retro these days? GameCube? PS2?

10. Cracka J

News Credits:
    yup anything not current gen I would think.

11. The Barracuda

The Barracuda Retro, bitches.

I had no idea this thread existed. I usually talked about retro games in the collection showcase thread. I was finally able to pick up a copy of Earthbound for a not-so-psychotic price and am currently playing through it. But I have to admit, it isn't wowing me so far, not like FF2 or FF3. I watched many a review video about how this game was life-changing in scope but so far, meh. I like how it stood apart from the crowd and it has some great play mechanics that help the tedium of an old school RPG. The story's okay, and random shit just seems to come out of nowhere with no explanation or connection to said story. Like getting a ride from the Loch Ness Monster down a river. Random.

12. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    Personally I fell anything from gen 5 and under. I still think gen 6 is not retro because it still lives on with hd editions.

13. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart. RIP Spike and Mojo.

i've been buying a lot of nintendo 64 games since mid-March of this year.

last game i played on N64 was Doom 64 last week. that game scared me in '98 because i was superstitious and whatnot back then. now i find it to be awesome. gonna start a new file tomorrow. but on the highest difficulty. ha! im gonna die so many times. :lol 

best tip ever given for Doom was in gamepro magazine, which is: 'Shoot anything that moves.'

14. Crockett

Crockett natural bodybuilder

Spy vs Spy!

They ported it the NES, but I remember playing it on an old Apple or Atari computer before that at a friend's house.

15. The Barracuda

The Barracuda Retro, bitches.

Good advice for Doom. Even though it's practically a brand new game, the landscape and enemies are still dark as shit and sometimes hard to see. Doom 64 is the king of hidden enemies.

16. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart. RIP Spike and Mojo.

i count gen 6 as retro.

just got back from vintage stock for their memorial day sale weekend.

saved $40. picked up:

super mario land for gameboy

bloodrayne for ps2

baku baku and sonic 3D blast for sega saturn

and for nintendo 64: mario tennis, wwf attitude, war gods, glover, duke nukem: zero hour and winback: covert operations

heading back to DOOM 64. after lunch.

17. AMG

AMG Old School

I love DooM 64. I beat that game on every difficulty level multiple times (so many I've lost count) back in the day. That game has fast, fluid shooting with an amazing atmosphere. Looked damn impressive in it's day too.

18. Cracka J

News Credits:
    nice haul man. I hit up a local bookstore that has retro stuff and got a genesis 6 button pad. had it marked 5.99 plus 20% off sale so got it for just over 4 bucks. not bad considering those go for 15-20 on the bay.

I actually bought quite a bit last week and need to slow down a little :lol . Picked up Altered beast, earthworm jim 2 and vectorman for genesis, around $20 for everything. Got a complete breath of fire II for gba at the same used bookstore earlier in the week (unfortunately before I knew of the sale) for $25. This weekend scored a couple cool lots off ebay, a 8 game genesis lot mainly for shadow dancer, vectorman 2 and comix zone for $16 shipped. Really have no idea about the other 5 games but I was fine paying that for the 3 I wanted. And last but not least got a 32x bundle with the cords, nba jam te and doom for around $45 shipped.

Just breaking $100 so not too bad for all that, but still way more then I usually spend on retro :lol . Ah well, lots of new stuff to play.

19. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

Retro to me this generation (Wii U/PS4/Xbox One/3DS/Vita) would be the anything Nintendo 64/Playstation/Saturn/Gameboy Color and prior generation.

Last edited: May 27, 2013
  20. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Now there's an interesting conundrum. The terms "retro" and "old school" are usually used interchangeably, but here I think they're different.

"Retro" denotes that something is old, or from the past. How old does it need to be before it's meaningful? Five minutes ago could be retro depending on your attention span. I don't view previous generation consoles as meaningfully retro until you can't buy them new at retail anymore. Better still when GameStop no longer accepts them for trade in. I can still find a new PS2 at Fry's, but it's getting close.

"Old school" doesn't represent the age of a thing, but rather the mindset or technique that went into creating it. The current "school" of game design started around the PSX and N64 era, so here we have a lot of things that are retro without being old school. I think old school design philosophy is a more meaningful distinction than mere age, and easier to find a dividing line.