Retro Game Thread

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by damian_1349, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Cracka J

Cracka J judas in my mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    $100 for a gba player with the start up disc? wow how things change in just a short time.

I bought mine used maybe around 2012 for $30 in a play n trade when those existed. Crazy to think it would have shot up $70 dollars in a mere 5 years.

2. Eric

Eric VOTE.

News Credits:
    Yeah the start-up disc alone can go up to about $70. I got lucky.

3. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart. RIP Spike and Mojo.

I got my Gameboy player at GameStop a few months before the Wii was released. Gameboy advance games sound great through the home theater speakers. Pokémon, Kingdom Hearts: Chains of Memories, Final Fantasy 4 and 6.

4. Cracka J

News Credits:
    Geez, I that is some absurd coin for that little device.

On the GBA SP AGS101 note, there are a few ebay resellers that sell reshelled ags101 models in the 70-80 range since most of the cases are far beyond salvageable today. I got mine several years ago and it still works great, and looks better than any of the second hand ags101 models I could have picked up.

5. The Barracuda

The Barracuda Retro, bitches.

Despite the insane rise in prices on everything, I think people started to realise there were a lot less discs out there than there were players and priced accordingly.

I remember picking up my 101 for a good deal from Lukiegames of all places and with only a few scuffs on the top of the shell. Otherwise it was in great shape and for a great price. Even the plastic wrap hadn't been taken off the Nintendo logo. It's served well for a good 5 years now but just a couple days ago I dropped it, hit the leg of my chair and one of the hinges snapped. I had to superglue the thing back together; it was a clean break so it glued back well thankfully as I just don't want to have to buy a new one or trust a cheap Chinese replacement shell.

6. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime Unlikeable dry-skinned biped

Well crap, it's been so long since I used my GB Player I forgot it needed the disc. I know I saw it around here somewhere...

Well, that's why I'm still playing my DS Lite. I think I play more GBA games on that thing than DS games. And I recently dug out my old original GB and GBA. Haven't tried the GB yet, but the GBA works great, so my GB and GBC games are covered. But holy hell, is that screen dark. Brought back memories of holding it under a lamp and attempting to angle it so I could see the screen but not get glare from the lamp :p 

• Like Like x 1
  7. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

I remember borrowing my friend's GB for a long road trip and also remember how disappointing it was. I had to ask/coerce my little brother to hold up a flashlight for me.

8. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

It wasn't disappointing if you had nothing for long trips but Tiger LCD games before :D 

• Like Like x 1
  9. UndertakerPrime

Or Nintendo Game & Watches :D 

• Like Like x 2
  10. flamepanther

So, I ended up buying a "new" Sega Genesis twice this month to replace my crappy one with a constant hiss in the audio. The second one should get here tomorrow. I'll be trying out both to decide whether I want to use the VA2 "HDG" model 1 or the VA4 model 2.

Model 1 VA2
    -Stereo sound has to come from the front of the console
    -Stereo mixing with Sega CD has to go through an external wire
    -Connection to 32X is complicated, especially with stereo sound
    -Primitive DAC causes subtle distortion and loss of music clarity
    -Internal amp is heavily filtered, causing additional loss of clarity
    -Won't fit in my TV cabinet with CD unit attached
    +No annoying "made or licensed by" TMSS screen
    +All games should have the originally intended sound
    +Holy crap that bass!

Model 2 VA4
    -Doesn't sound quite right with games that exploited the quirks of the older DAC
    -Annoying unskippable trademark screen
    -Way less bass
    +Much cleaner, easier setup with CD and 32X
    +Super clear FM sound
    +Better matches the look of the 32X and version 2 CD unit
    +Actually fits in my TV cabinet with everything attached

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  11. The Barracuda

The Barracuda Retro, bitches.

If you owned any previous gen. Gameboys you were used to it. I never bought the GBA when it first came out; my Gameboy experience ended with the GBC until I got back into retro gaming. But I can only imagine the disappointment when seeing those beautiful, BRIGHT images on the back of the box and then having to play under the glare of a lamp to see anything. Thank god Nintendo realised a backlit screen had basically become necessary at that point in time (plus the addition of rechargable lithium batteries built in) and released the SP. Buying the DS lite when it first came out, I absolutely loved the backwards compatibility with GBA games.

12. Cracka J

News Credits:
    Just a random thought, if I had the same love for retro games that I do today, but was starting from the beginning with literally nothing...

I probably would just play roms :lol 

The prices today are just so abysmal that if you are just getting started with a collection or wanting to get into it, you gotta drop some severe cash. Gone are the days where you can just walk up at a garage sale or half price books and buy a retro console for $20-30 bucks, everybody wants ebay prices now and even if you find a gem out in the wild, chances are the owner knows what its going for.

Maybe I'd drop some coin for a nice clean psp. At least then you can play all your roms and isos on the go and be pretty much covered on the 8 and 16 bit eras.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Did anyone else have that Gameboy contraption with the magnifying glass and speakers and "analog" joystick?

14. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart. RIP Spike and Mojo.

I saw then in stores everywhere but I did not have a good reason to get it.

15. UndertakerPrime

I remember trying a magnifying glass peripheral, but it distorted the picture and hurt my eyes. I still have a light device that I tried on my GBA, but the position of the light was not well thought out and it caused huge glare. However, it also flipped down and protected the screen when not in use, so it still served a purpose. It's been on my GBA since then and it's kept the screen nearly scratch-free.

16. flamepanther

The best GameBoy light accessory I ever used was the Worm Light for GBA. It was bright, flexible, didn't require its own extra batteries, and wasn't bulky. On the downside, it increased the battery drain of the GBA just enough to be noticeable.

17. seali_me

I grew up with tons of these but I really wanted to finish mario gb at the time. The one with flying bunny ears.

I did finish it before I had to return it back to my friend. it was really frustrating that the only thing between me and last boss was the dark screen.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  18. UndertakerPrime

Is that Super Mario Land 2? I have the game and I used to play it a bunch but that was years ago and my memory of it is fleeting.

Haven't done much retro gaming lately due to all my free time going to complete a project on my computer. Got back to playing Rondo of Blood light night for the first time in weeks. Beat Dullahan, then finally went back and rescued Maria. Only played as her for a few minutes, but what a bizarre experience playing a CV game with a cutesy anime girl who attacks with Happy Tree Friends. Now I need to figure out what the deal is with those frog statues in the swamp/forest level that move when I whip them.

19. flamepanther

Yep! :D 
    They're actually baby versions of the Four Symbols guardians from Eastern mythology. I know it's not part of Igarashi's vision for the game, but I like how they handled them in the Saturn version of Symphony of the Night.

20. seali_me

I hate that.

What I hate more is the difference in carts. I didn't really notice the difference in models until I played contra and castlevania III. The nes version of cv III, the one I didn't grow up with, sounded quite wrong and horrible.

Contra nes was probably the worst. The entire game look like it was fake. Missing tons of stuff. it was easier too. no snow on the snowfield, no moving backgrounds, no cutscenes, the ending was shit. I was pissed about I finally playing the game in English but no debriefing cutscenes. I grew up in it the jp version. Contra was one of first games we played.

• Like Like x 1