Retro Game Thread

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by damian_1349, Apr 4, 2012.

1. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime Unlikeable dry-skinned biped

I saw the ones on CustomGameCases.com and they look really nice (especially the fact they all look uniform), and around $3.50 per case isn't unreasonable.
    HOWEVER...I have about 100 loose GB/GBC/GBA games I would need cases for, and I'm not prepared to spend $350 on game cases. Then I would need some Genesis ones, and N64 ones...
    Maybe I'll just look into custom labels instead :p 

2. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

LOL

Yeah, that's why I've been tackling it gradually. Whenever I'm not hurting for cash, I'll order about $50 or so worth of cases. I'll get through the whole collection eventually!

If you want to print your own inserts, you can get a volume discount on blank cases (which are slightly cheaper already). In fact, the Genesis cases are only available blank for now, so that's how I handled my Genesis and Master System games. Just be sure to factor the cost of ink cartridges into your decision! I went through three cartridges printing my Genesis and SMS inserts :eek: 

3. The Barracuda

The Barracuda Retro, bitches.

The only loose games I put into cases are the GBA games, using the DS cases with the extra GBA slot. Anything else will take up too much room (as it is, I'm getting a little swamped). But seeing my GBAs all lined up on the shelf gave my OCD an orgasm. I printed out sleeves from Cover Project though some were a little rough and needed some TLC in Photoshop. I took this a bout a year ago and since then I've added a few...

[​IMG]

I remember when I just had about 40 NES games and hadn't really started collecting, I used the plastic rental cases with spine labels printed straight from box scans I found on the internet. Then I eventually abandoned that with the influx of new games and the need to conserve space.

• Like Like x 1
  4. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

I just changed ziplock bags for my gba container. :D 

• Like Like x 1
  5. flamepanther

6. UndertakerPrime

Keep chasing the dream, seali_me
    Soon you'll have separate ziplock bags for each game ;) 

7. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Panther mentioned this in another thread and i thought it was an interesting topic -

So decent games based on bad or unpopular movies, anyone got any suggestions or favourites?

Episode 1 Racer and SNES Alien 3 are the obvious ones that I can think of.

Also, I mention X-Com in the thread and Humble suddenly start giving it away for free - Buy X-COM: UFO Defense from the Humble Store - go claim if you've got any interest in classic strategy and/or PC gaming.

8. flamepanther

Catwoman (based on the Halle Berry movie) has a cult following among fans of the original X-BOX.

The Reign of Fire game is likewise supposed to be decent, but I haven't played it.

The Double Dragon fighting game for NeoGeo arcade units was nominally based on the movie.

I know I've come across others, but I'm having a hard time thinking of them... I probably blocked the movies from my memory :p 

9. RabidYak

Didn't even know that that Catwoman game existed, would have loved to see the reaction at the publishers when the movie came out.

I remembered Robocop 3 on Amiga and ST earlier. Robocop simulator with open world driving, first person shooting and air combat in 3D on hardware that originally came out in 1985? That's some serious technical effort for a licence game, let alone one based on a movie that ended up being a laughing stock.

• Like Like x 1
  10. flamepanther

The weirdest licenses have got to be videogame-to-movie/cartoon-to-videogame licenses. E.g. the Street Fighter: The Movie arcade game, Double Dragon V, that cancelled Sonic SatAM game...

11. RabidYak

Taken to the extreme by that Spy Hunter movie tie-in game with The Rock that still came out when the movie itself got cancelled.

Another kind of weird, Jurassic Park 2 on SNES. Numbered sequel to a movie game where the movie didn't have a sequel yet, but ended up having one later that had its own game.

12. Starfire22

Starfire22 :D

News Credits:
    Question: For the SNES FF games, (2 & 3) where do they officially number in the series?

13. RabidYak

As in US numbers vs actual numbers? They're 4 and 6.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Starfire22

Starfire22 :D

News Credits:
    Ah, thanks! Surprised 5 never made it on SNES. (At least here i bet)

EDIT: And apologies on the randomness..i saw them here at a local store, and i have to ask, which one is better?

15. RabidYak

Can't speak personally as i'm not into the genre, but general consensus is in favour of 6.

• Like Like x 1
  16. flamepanther

Goonies 2 on the NES was along those lines... except that the NES version of Goonies 1 didn't even get released here.

17. Cracka J

Cracka J judas in my mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    that choice is the equivalent of choosing between deep dish and thin crust pizza. pretty much both great and comes down to personal preference.

FFV is available on gba, I think that was the first time they did an actual translation of it in english, but don't quote me.

18. UndertakerPrime

Both are worth playing.
    IV is the game that truly got me into RPGs.
    VI is one of my personal all-time favorites, along with being widely regarded as the best in the series and one of the best games ever.

I believe the PS1 release of FFV came first, as part of one of the compilations (Anthology or Chronicles, I forget which). That was my introduction to FFV, and I don't believe the GBA had been released yet.

19. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart. RIP Spike and Mojo.

Question of the O.G. Xbox:

Is there a official RF Switch for the system or only third-party?

20. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart. RIP Spike and Mojo.

I wish I would have tried these two back in the 90s. I didn't because I didn't like the box art.

Better late then never. Get both and flip a coin to decide which to play first. Tails for 4, heads for 6.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
    • Like Like x 1