Retro Game Thread

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by damian_1349, Apr 4, 2012.

1. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I thought about listing this, but it's so good that I thought it was obvious ;) 
    Super R-Type is also a nice little mashup of R-Type I and II.
    Seconded.

Captain Commando is missing so much from the arcade game that I can't recommend it. Double Dragon is good, but I remember hearing that the Japanese version is more complete.

Add to my previous list:

Claymates
    DoReMi Fantasy: Milon's Dokidoki Adventure (Super Famicom)
    Final Fight 3
    Gundam Wing: Endless Duel (Super Famicom)
    Magical Pop'n (Super Famicom)
    Super Bonk

2. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Funny thing is that LJN didn't have so much of a shitty reputation here as the NES wasn't much of a thing in Europe, THQ sort of ended up being the byword for bad games on Nintendo as their SNES output was beyond terrible.

The good thing about the current version is that Chahi got the rights back from Interplay when they went bust and worked on it himself, so he's actually getting money when you buy it now and your getting his personal remaster of the game rather then somebody else's take on it. Plus you can still switch it back to the original graphics if you want the authentic 90s experience.

I also just noticed that its on PS4 now as well, so i'll qualify my earlier post by saying that it shouldn't be played on consoles from the time rather then not at all.

I tend not to think of the arcade ports as SNES games since I've been playing the originals in MAME since the late 90s, but there's definitely a bunch of Capcom and Konami stuff worth having on SNES if your averse to using emulators. Also a couple that are still worth having anyway because they're different enougth in a good way, Turtles in Time being the obvious example.

I skipped Super at the time since it was a mashup and never went back, should probably give it a stab at some point.

I did think twice about R-Type 3, but can't say i'm really sure where the line is between obvious and less obvious thesedays given that everybody has the internet to tell them about things now. Get off my lawn etc...

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
  3. MST3KFan

MST3KFan Master of the Obvious

News Credits:
    Some others that come to mind if you don't mind Disney stuff

Goof Troop
    The Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse
    The Great Circus Mystery Starring Mickey & Minnie

Also...

Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster Busts Loose
    Animaniacs
    Battletoads & Double Dragon
    Brain Lord
    Both Earthworm Jim 1 and 2
    The Lost Vikings 1 and 2
    Ninja Warriors
    Pocky & Rocky 1 and 2
    Run Saber
    Uniracers
    Zombies Ate My Neighbors

And lastly, I know people have mentioned Actraiser, but Actraiser 2 is pretty good as well so long as you don't mind straight up side scrolling action with some difficulty.

4. PrimeOQZ

PrimeOQZ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I enjoy Sunset Riders. Great game but snes games are getting expensive.

5. Boulder

Boulder Rock Lord

Oh, those are great choices.
    I found the various parts of that game to be hit and miss. In some ways it reminded me of The Three Stooges on the NES with the range in quality.

One more that I would include: Rock 'N' Roll Racing.

6. convoy84

convoy84 misses you like the deserts miss the rain.

News Credits:
    So, I compiled a (probably to-be-shortened) shopping list from your suggestions that also includes the no-brainers. Lemme know if I missed anything, or if I should remove anything:

• Cybernator
    • Super Baseball Simulator 1000
    • Blackthorne
    • Rock n Roll Racing
    • Super Star Wars
    • Joe and Mac
    • Super Mario World
    • Ninja Turtles 4
    • Super Return of the Jedi
    • Indiana Jones' Greatest Adventures
    • R-Type 3 or Super R-Type
    • Gradius 3
    • Super Castlevania 4
    • Batman Returns
    • Final Fight
    • Mortal Kombat 2
    • Star Fox
    • F-Zero
    • Super Bonk
    • Battletoads and Double Dragon
    • Earthworm Jim 1 and 2
    • Zombies Ate My Neighbors
    • NBA Jam
    And I should probably ask for my own safety: which of these games will break the bank, and which ones won't?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
  7. RabidYak

I'd say your missing Yoshi's Island, Super Metroid, Mario Kart, Pilotwings and Mario All-Stars from the obvious stuff.

The SNES version of Final Fight is crap, get 2 and/or 3 instead and buy the first one on 360/XB1 or PS3 (or even Mega CD).

IIRC Earthworm Jim is better on Sega, both the cartridge and CD versions.

There are better NBA Jam ports, but the trade off is loading times on PS1/Saturn or actually having to own the console for 32X/Jag. No ports on modern systems, but there was a well received remake last gen.

If your shopping for Mortal Kombat, then MK Arcade Kollection on PC/360/PS3 or the Midway Collection on PS2/XB/GC is where it is at. There's nothing egregiously wrong with the SNES version, there just isn't a reason to be playing it anymore unless your doing it for nostalgia or don't have any later systems.

8. convoy84

News Credits:
    Right, I'll make those adjustments regarding Final Fight and the obvious games. I don't know about Super Metroid, though, simply because of the "where do I go" factor.

I'd also still like to have Earthworm Jim and MK2 for grins.

9. Cracka J

Cracka J judas in my mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Only bonk, turtles and maybe cv4 are pricey on that list, so not too bad.

Depending on what price ranges or condition you are looking for, you might even be able to still find some sealed copies.
    I bought all my snes star wars games sealed over the last few years, star wars and empire cost me $20 each, jedi was $30.

I opened all of them, but I dunno it's still nice having the complete contents in some cases and still being the original owner :D 

10. Starfire22

Starfire22 :D

News Credits:
    No love for the DKC games? Or are we going for the non Nintendo games? (Ala 3P)

11. convoy84

News Credits:
    The DKC trilogy was on my mind as well, actually. I'll add them to the list along with Street Figher 2.

• Like Like x 1
  12. flamepanther

Truth.
    The SNES version is missing a level for some reason, but has extra eye candy that isn't in any other version. The level probably outweighs the effects, but I always miss that stupid, pointless lens flare in New Junk City when it's not there.

• Like Like x 1
  13. DPrime

DPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Speaking of SNES games, do you think Turtles IV for Super Metroid is a realistic and/or fair trade?

14. flamepanther

They're both awesome games, and I don't know their current value (since I got them both ages ago). However, if I was the guy holding Super Metroid, I would not make that trade.

15. Starfire22

Starfire22 :D

News Credits:
    I would say TMNT 4 would hold the best value, because of Konami. Super Metroid has had a couple of VC releases too.

16. Cracka J

Cracka J judas in my mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    probably this in the long run but they are both about equal trade value atm.

17. RabidYak

I'd assume that good Konami games will be worth more in the future since there aren't going to be any more of them :p 

18. DPrime

DPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I've got two copies of TMNT IV, so for me it's a no bainer. Not sure if I like Super Metroid better, but I do like the Metroid games in general.

I don't think I've ever played that one, funnily enough. I just realized that - heh, seems weird. :) 

19. The Barracuda

The Barracuda Retro, bitches.

If you're freeing up a component port then yes, if you can find a cheap one, try it out. But it might be worth it to try the component switch.

That's an understatement. Of all the retro consoles, SNES games are skyrocketing.

If you're getting a copy of Super Metroid for TMNT IV, that's a good trade. You should like SM; it raised the bar for Metroid games. Personally, I didn't play the game when I was younger (at least, I didn't own it; I think I rented but I never got too far). A little while ago I pledged to sit down and complete it and it's an awesome game.

20. flamepanther

In my opinion, Super Metroid is still the best overall in the franchise. The controls and Samus' relative lack of agility are its only weaknesses. That map still hasn't been surpassed though. I envy anybody going into it for the first time.