Retro Game Thread

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by damian_1349, Apr 4, 2012.

1. damian_1349

damian_1349 Wrecker

This thread is for fans of retro games. It doesn't matter if you have enjoyed 8-bit games since you were a child or you are just now realizing the awesome nostalgic fun that is Nintendo, Sega, Atari, Neo Geo, Heck even ps1, then you can come here and gush about your favorite games. I have just begun playing NES and SNES again, I haven't in a long time and it has been long overdue. So come discuss your favorites and maybe even learn about some hidden gems you never thought to play, share your knowledge, and have fun reminiscing about games you havent played in years.

2. MST3KFan

MST3KFan Master of the Obvious

News Credits:
    Heck, I've been playing the game systems of old quite a bit more myself. I started up EarthBound on my SNES here last month and rediscovered why it is one of my most favorite RPGs ever still as in a week's time I went through the whole game getting everything I could.

Now I'm playing Zelda II: The Adventure of Link on my NES because...well, I never really got very far in it as a kid and it frustrated me. I've since gotten through up to the sixth palace and am stil going, but dang is it hard.

Right now I'm on a crusade to get ahold of the remaining NES, SNES, and Genesis games I'm missing in my collection with less and less places seemingly carrying the older stuff. I'm not big on driving halfway across the state to see if some places have what I want either.

3. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    Seeing the commercials for this new Kid Icarus game, it reminds me of how enamored I was with the original. I'm not even sure why, except that I just had one friend who had it, so it seemed "rare" to me. He never let me borrow it, either.

4. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart.

i don't care what anyone says, as frustrating as it is, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on NES is a great game. i only made it as far as the maze-like city with the turtlevan. but i played it every Saturday while eating a tuna salad sandwich. that is until Super Mario Bros. 3 was released then i played that every Saturday.

over at amazon.com i have a few dozen wishlist of retro games i want to buy. in the past year, ive spend 2,000 dollars on retro games and from an estimate i made, i need about 20,000 dollars to get all the games i want to have in my collection. my current collection is worth about 12,000 dollars. this doesn't include the ds, 3ds, psp, psv, ps3, wii or xbox360

5. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Apparently TMNT actually only scored a 3/10 in Nintendo Power when it was reviewed. Still though, I agree that it was a great game. Personally, I rank it up there with the original Batman as a top tier game from the NES, and really almost any era of games. It was hard to get through for sure, but it was also pretty advanced in it's design I think. The ability to switch characters in and out, the fact that each turtle had a different range and attack power, plus the seamless shift between overhead and sidescrolling gameplay made it stand out.

6. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    TMNT is up there with Bionic Commando as one of my favorite NES titles. The Dam was the hardest part but get through that and I could beat it without losing a turtle. Same actually with Castlevania 2- everyone I knew had it and loved it, and I'm talking... like 10 year old kids mostly, but for the most part it did well and was liked. Now, thanks to the internet, there is a lot of retro reviewers hating on it. Things were just... different back then.

Speaking of different, I enjoyed the NES era but I really think the 16-bit days was a sweet spot for video games in general to me. It was a good time in my life (generally my middle school and high school years) and game design came a long way.

Also. it's really amazing we only pay $60 nowadays for games yet there's tons of people bitching about that being too much. Back then, they were $50-80, and used game outlets weren't as abundant. It was pretty much get a game for Christmas or a birthday or barrow from a friend.

7. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    I have my Super Nintendo always at the ready, and N64 laying around somewhere. Fortuntately, Sega has released MOST of the Genesis games I loved in collections so I don't really need one always hooked up.

8. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    $50 25 years ago was quite a bit more than it is now. And by that I mean, my parent used to shit bricks at a $49.99 price tag.

9. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    Haha, same here. Unlike some of my more fortunate friends I never just got a new game- it had to be a holiday or a birthday and even then I had to really push for it. I know games got a little cheaper during the Playstation era, but today's games are still extremely well priced.

10. damian_1349

damian_1349 Wrecker

There Is alot of nintendo love, which i wholeheartedly support lol. But as for choosing between tfs and games for me now im only collecting optimus, megatron, grimlock, or planes(just cause i work at an airport lol) as well as only collecting systems and games i know i will play and enjoy...plus some of those old games are decent prices now...i got tmnt for 20 and the legend of zelda for 30 so it's not too bad. Also for those who brought up bionic commando i want to ask what that gameplay is like.

11. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Equip your fire spell and hunt jumping spiders by the first town across the ocean. They give you 50 exp a pop. Nice way to grind and level up. When you approach dark nuts, don't try to anticipate their shields. Just press attach and jump and the same time and link will stab somewhere in the middle, almost hitting them every time.

Last dungeon: You're on your own, :lol 

My favorites are almost all Nintendo-based. Rygar, Zelda, FF6(3), Zillion, Phantasy Star. I am damn proud to have called that generation my introduction to video games. We had it good.

12. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    Gameplay in Bionic Commando was a mix of platforming and action. Instead of something like contra where you just kept going forward, you actually could explore a level to some degree. You gained experience to increase your health bar by collecting bullets from fallen foes, and you could equip items and weapons before entering a level. You also could choose what level you wanted to go to on a map kinda like a Super Mario 3 world. Oh, and the biggest gameplay quirk was that there was no jump button- you swung around with a grappling hook almost like spiderman uses a web.

13. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's what I loved about Rygar. Not only did you get to explore vertically, but you also leveled, and the game switched from side-scrolling to Zelda-like birds-eye-view.

14. Cracka J

Cracka J TURD PARTY DUMPSTERPIECE TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It really was a great game but it is literally one of the hardest games I've ever played. The rating was undeserved, though. The reviewer probably couldn't get past the first map and threw his cartridge at the wall after punting his nes.

I was going to go for a retro nes collection soon, but a friend got me a dingoo last xmas (which is a portable/handheld emulator that can also hook up to any tv av jack) and that thing runs NES flawlessly...all 800+ games :lol  So yeah saved a bit of money there and it's just as good for the old nes stuff.

15. Liege Prime

News Credits:

Little innovations like that made a world of difference back then. Master Blaster was similar to. The only problem was a lot of games had an unreliable battery backup like Final Fantasy, or a huge password, or no save at all.

16. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

as a kid, i maybe passed it once...as a adult, maybe once too. Zelda II is a hard game lol

17. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Picked up a dingoo too. Got the old dungeons and dragons arcade running on it.

18. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I got the Xperia Play, which doubles as my retro gaming handheld. Also, the only reason I have my Wii still is that it plays my retro games. For me, my retro passion has always been the Double Dragon series.

19. Boulder

Boulder Rock Lord

My Wii only has two uses: Mario Kart and Final Fantasy !V: After Years.

There are a few games I'm playing currently on an emulator. Not because I'm too cheap to buy the game (though I am) but because I don't feel like fighting with the NES to get the originals to work. (That's right, I'm looking at you Mike Tyson's Glitchy Punch-Out.)

A friend of mine mocked me once because I was so happy to unlock the Donkey Kong arcade game on Donkey Kong 64. "You're the only one," he told me, " who will buy a $200 [then] state-of-the-art gaming console, and then just use it to play Donkey Kong." In my defense, it had the pie factory level which the NES port left out.

It was also the only reason for me to buy Animal Crossing. Screw you, Nook. Nobody told you to build a second floor. I'm not paying for it. Now go away so I can play Excitebike.

20. Cyber-Scream

Cyber-Scream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I grew up with the Genesis so automatically you can tell I played a lot of Sonic as a kid.

Recently bought a GN Twin, which plays both Sega Genesis and NES games, so that's always cool. Also own a PS1 with most of the Mega Man X games.