Retro Game Challenge!

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by toma, Feb 21, 2009.

1. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

I picked this up for the DS the other day and it's awesome. For anyone who doesn't know, it's essentially a collection of 8 pseudo-"NES" games held together by a plot about an evil game master who transforms you into a little kid and sends you to the 80s to play video games against your will. You start out by doing 4 achievements for each game, then they're unlocked for freeplay and can be played just like a regular game. They're full-on games, not minigames, and they're not remakes or sequels of any existing property, although they take some elements of games from back in that era. There's a series of platformers, some space shooters, a racing game, and an 8-bit RPG. It also has fake manual scans for each game and a bunch of issues of fake gaming magazines with cheat codes, reviews, and other stuff that you might see in an old issue of EGM or something. I'd highly recommend it to anyone who likes oldskewl gaming. I've been playing it for the past few days and I can't put it down. Anyone else heard of this/playing it?

2. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

I can't wait to get this, but i've bought so much off one pay check I have to wait until the next to get it. Been waiting for this one for a while, it looks awesome.

3. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    my niece may have it, gonna have to beg her to show it to me.
    (never got a DS b/c of vision)
    I may not be able to play the game, but i can take a look and be impressed by it.

this sounds great, anyway.

4. samtheman

samtheman Well-Known Member

I just got it yesterday and so far, I like it. The concept is really creative and original.

5. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yeah this looks like a blast. I like how you can look for cheats and stuff on virtual magazines.