Retr0Bright (Peroxide) Used On G1 BeastBox & Squawktalk

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by lazerface, May 27, 2012.

1. lazerface

lazerface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Has anyone used Retr0Bright (Peroxide) on the G1 cassettes BeastBox & Squawktalk before?

I have used Retr0Bright, but just for getting the yellow out of an old sampling keyboard's white keys.

I want to try this to brighten the colors on my BeastBox & Squawktalk, because they have gotten kind of yellowed. These have a particular sentimental value (a gift from my grandfather), so I am afraid to mess them up, if it will strip the paint or damage the plastic somehow.

I'm just hoping for some success stories, or suggestions on how to apply the peroxide. I have 12% peroxide, and all the stuff I need to make the standard Retr0bright gel recipe here:

http://retr0bright.wikispaces.com/Retr0Bright+Gel

2. Jaicen

Jaicen Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Don't do it. If you've had them from new then let them show their age. For me, that's more appealing.
    Pick up the KO's if you want them looking minty fresh.

3. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What if he wants toys that look good but are authentic? I have a few childhood TFs that have yellowed badly (Getaway, I'm looking at you here) but there's no way I'd display them nor go and seek out a KO (if one existed anyway).

4. lazerface

News Credits:
    I have another set of the real thing, which are in perfect condition, but still want to fix these if I can easily.

5. nellie131

nellie131 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would say go for it however with using this solution does anyone know of the longer term effects? Does it weaken or damage plastic later on down the line?

It's something I'd like to try down the line

6. lazerface

News Credits:
    I have only read about it being used for music keyboards, and old computer shells, which are originally white, or close to white in color. I have not read anything that suggests it damages the plastic... worse case scenario some people have said the yellowing comes back after a while.

The plastic those are made out of may be different from toys, though. I'm still trying to read more about how it works on colored plastic.

7. nellie131

nellie131 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well yeah I've not seen it personally used on coloured plastics only grey or white tones. If you go ahead and do it then post your findings :) 

8. CookSux

CookSux Infectious Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've heard stories where the colored plastic ended up turning white if left too long.

9. lazerface

News Credits:
    That wouldn't be cool. I think I will probably give this a try, but will be sure to watch them closely so that doesn't happen.

Thanks everyone. I'll post before and after pictures if I do it.

10. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    My G1 Computron that I've had since childhood disagrees after spending the last couple days whitening his white bits. He looks brand new, just waiting on reprolabels. Who wants shitty yellow toys with gross stickers? Not me.

It does work on colored plastics. I did it on Abominous's head and chest shield and it worked perfectly. MAKE SURE YOU REMOVE ANY METAL PARTS FIRST - they will corrode and turn white.

I also learned that you can reuse the peroxide bath several times, days apart if need be. Just keep it sealed. I just dumped all the parts and peroxide in a ziplock bag, got the air out and sealed it and left it in the sun.

Last edited: May 27, 2012
  11. lazerface

News Credits:
    Thanks! That is encouraging. My Computron could use some peroxide too.

I already got replacement screws for my cassettes (the originals were all rusty), so I can take those out while using the peroxide for sure. I won't be able to take out all the metal rivets and pins though.

I'm not sure if I should just soak these in peroxide like you did, or make a paste that I can paint on to them.

12. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    For parts that small I would just soak them. It won't take much peroxide and you won't miss any spots.

If you have to leave metal parts in I recommend coating them with something you can easily remove after the soak like candle wax. I've done that before on rivet heads and it worked perfectly.

13. lazerface

News Credits:
    That is a really good idea. Thanks again.

14. lazerface

News Credits:
    So, I forgot to take before an after pictures, but I did try this on a junker Squawktalk as a test. I used 12% peroxide and mixed it with some Clororx color booster. I left Squawktalk completely submerged in it, in the sun, with a plastic ziplock bag sealing the air for about 45 minutes on each side.

It didn't seem to lighten the shade of the plastic at all, but it did end up fading the blue and black paint slightly, so I think I'll skip doing this on my good figure.

I have had good success using peroxide on other toy's white parts, and it probably would have been fine for Squawktalk, if not for the paint.

15. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

I've heard some people having better results exposing the parts to the vapor trapped in the bag/jar/whatever they're using versus submerging them. Maybe give that a try?

16. lazerface

News Credits:
    Cool. Yeah, I have read of people doing it this way too. I might give it a try.