Retconning Characters Into G1

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by AngryChad, Mar 16, 2012.

?

How do you feel about IDW's retroactive continuity character Drift?

Poll closed Apr 15, 2012.
  1. Love it, I want more!

59.5%
  2. Hate it, no more please!

4.8%
  3. Drift is ok, but I wouldn't want any more.

11.9%
  4. Drift sucks, but maybe I'd like the idea if the character were decent.

23.8%
  1. AngryChad

AngryChad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    How do you feel about IDW's retroactive continuity character Drift, and would you want more?

2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Im not that keen on retcons and retroactive inserts, as I think a work should stand as it is once "finished" and released. That being said, I have no issue whatsoever with new characters being introduced into the G1-updates/reimaginings that come along every couple of years, such as the IDW-G1-verse.

3. ZacWilliam

ZacWilliam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    To be fair, Drift as he was created kinda sucked, BUT... And this is a big BUT, what Roberts has done with him in MtMtE so far has actually been pretty great.

Yes, Roberts has made him fun. His being a Rodimus fangirl, flighty, New Agey flake that everyone (especially grumpy Ratchet) dismisses (frequently with unveild annoyance) actually has made him far more enjoyable than he ever was before.

Roberts has really made me regret not getting a Drift to use in my Lost Light crew.

-ZacWilliam, so anyway, yeah he's better now, and sure new characters are fun.

4. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I like it. And look at Marvel and DC. If they kept their Universe the same way over the years, it probably got boring 40 years ago.

It's great to see G1 continue. The original is still the best, so why not continue it.

5. lildevilchick

lildevilchick what the doctor ordered

I voted for the third option. I don't mind Drift and it doesn't bother me that he was retconned, but I don't want IDW making a habit of it. D:

6. The Madness

The Madness News Credits: -13

I don't mind Drift, but considering there are so many G1 toys that were underused in fiction I have no idea why others need to be made up.

7. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's new fiction. It's not 80's g1. It's fine to add new characters. FUck that, even if it were part of the 80 universe it would STILL be fine to add new characters because it's that, it's fiction. There is no "No Characters That Werent Aboard Original Ark" rule.

8. grimlockprime

grimlockprime Well-Known Member

i actually like these retcons,like rts lugnut being added to g1.because lets be honest there are thousands of cybertronians so it is plausible for some characters to be introduced retroactively

9. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Retconning characters into "classic" G1 seems a little clumsy, but I'm all for bringing new characters into the comics that are coming out.

10. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    Drift is okay as a new character, but his being shoehorned into G1 so badly and blatantly was pretty painful. I didn't think his design aesthetic or character fit at all. I think his "appearance" in that I Am Optimus Prime kid's book was a horrible eyesore for me.

That said, I wouldn't be against it in the future just as long as it's written well and done with a little more subtlety.

11. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Drift, meh, I like how Lugnut got a classics toy though, and how int he United fiction he has been seen to be part of the Destron forces.

12. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

I voted option 4... I wouldn't say I HATE Drift per se (and his toy is nice) but I'm not really fond of him either. However, I'm all for other characters getting retconned into G1, especially characters who have come into their own in later parts of the franchise. For instance, I enjoy that Lugnut and Lockdown have now been inserted into the G1 universe, and it seems the same is gradually happening with a new interpretation of Sentinel Prime (who is sort of a movie-Animated hybrid... we've seen this Classicized version of the character appear now in the Kreo and Bot Shots line). I'd love to see other popular characters from later series retconned into G1: Bulkhead, Barricade, Blackout, Strika, Knockout, Hot Shot (okay, "popular" might not apply there), etc.

13. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm not sure why the concept is being lumped in as being synonymous with Drift as if he's the first example of it. It's not even retconning, because G1 is not something that perennially exists in the past into which these characters are being retroactively inserted - it's still a current, growing fictional world, and new characters are being progressively added to it all the time, as they have been for over a decade when we started getting Deep Cover, Clampdown, Road Rage, Tigertrack...

14. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Drift wasn't retconed. He is a new character that was created in the G1 universe. Now making Lugnut, Lockdown & Barricade appear in G1 when they were created in other continuities is a retcon.

15. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    I like Retcons. as someone else said, they are hundreds of other cybertronians out there. Who's to say they can't be based on really good characters from other lines, guys introduced later on down the line. I'd like a Bulkhead that's a combo of his animated and Prime appearance-like a guy who used to be big, brutal, and smashed stuff, but has since retired and become a bit more of a softie, one who gets Space Bridges up and running-almost like Perceptor in reverse

16. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:

This is what I was going to say, too.

Retroactive G1 characters aren't anything new.

Between the plethora of e-hobby toys (Clampdown, Deepcover, Road Rage, Crosscut, etc.), Botcon toys (Glyph, Tap-Out, Rook, etc.) and other modern toys (Universe Heavy Load, possibly Dropshot, RTS Lugnut, Chopsaw, Deep Dive, etc) there has been plenty of G1 characters added since G1 technically ended.

17. Spin-Out

Spin-Out "It's just... Asinine."

There needs to be an option for "Drift is OK, and I want other characters like Bulkhead and Flatline to be retconned in."

18. AngryChad

AngryChad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The first option?

19. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This is sort of how I feel about it.

However, I think the only TRUE "retcon" is Lugnut, who was stuck into the Battle of Autobot City. The IDW continuity isn't connected to "classic" G1, and "The Fierce Fighting on Planet Nebulos" seems to stand alone.

20. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Drift's intro into IDW was the worst I've ever seen. And the worst part is he's not even that interesting. He's bland as can be.