Retaking The SAT As A 30 Year Old

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Razerwire, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    I've always wondered how I'd do.

This guy did it for me.

What Happens When A 35-Year-Old Man Retakes The SAT?

Needless to say I would save myself the immense torture and just take his word for it. :lol 

To this day I hate that fricken test. I think I took it twice in high school. I'd love to have those wasted hours of studying, prepping and actual exam taking back.

2. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    I haven't taken it yet, but doesn't seem so scary, only the essays actually scare me. Other than that, it's just any old standardized test.

3. kaiserlisk

kaiserlisk THIS PLEASES GAGA

News Credits:
    I hate this test too. My school stresses that this is probably the most important test of my high school career and on top of that, I have to worry about two AP tests. When I apply for college,I'm pretty sure that I'll be one of the last considered. I hate my GPA so much right now.

4. Razerwire

News Credits:
    I think my biggest qualm with the SAT was that other than being a hoop I had to jump through, I got absolutely nothing out of it.

I took a Princeton Review course in my junior year and all I got from it was how to take a test. The test itself seems like the sole purpose is how well you take a test and not what you've actually learned in school.

Now that I have a kid on the way I have no idea how I'm going to explain the process to him as I have my own personal point of view on it. All I'm coming up with currently is that it's a process that the majority of people who want to go to higher education need to do.

5. Optimus1138

Optimus1138 Minecraft Addict

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I didn't think it was all that bad, other than the fact that it lasted so effing long. The ACT just had three parts and the writing, but the SAT split the math, reading, and writing parts up into two parts each, so it took way longer. I found the test to be easier than the ACT, though. I wasn't able to finish the math or science parts of the ACT the first time, and retook it. I got a better score the second time, so it was worth it.

The essays were really annoying on both tests, but I don't think they were all that important to the overall score. I got a 6 out of 12 (or something like that, a pretty low score) on my essay the first time I took the ACT, and still got a 31 as my total score.

The SAT subject tests I took (Chinese and US History), on the other hand, were way harder than I expected, largely due to bad information on the website. The practice quizzes I took for both were way easier than the real things, and although they said anyone with two years of Chinese learning should be able to take the test, there were lots of things I had never learned, and I had taken three years of Chinese at the time.

6. Razerwire

News Credits:
    Surprisingly I took the SAT II Chinese exam and got a 780 out of 800. I missed one question which is the one question that everyone else that took it got wrong too so I didn't feel too much like a dunce.

I'm not sure if the Chinese subject tests are different nowadays but when I took it they offered it in pinyin, simplified and traditional/complicated versions.

My reading and writing sucks but my speaking skills are pretty fluent so I just used the pinyin version and it made the whole thing a lot easier.

7. The Dark Seeker

The Dark Seeker Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    OMFG That article had me laughing the whole time I was reading it :lolol 

8. Optimus1138

Optimus1138 Minecraft Addict

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    They offered pinyin, traditional characters, and simplified characters. I'm best with reading the actual characters (never liked using pinyin except for learning pronunciations, since different characters can have the same pinyin), but there were just lots of words that I had never been taught. I guessed on a lot of the listening part, as well.

9. Razerwire

News Credits:
    The pinyin definitely helps those that are already proficient at speaking but not at reading and writing.

But yeah, it's definitely an uphill battle if there are words you haven't been taught. Especially considering the Chinese language has around 5,000 characters. Hell, your average Chinese person knows only 3,000 or so. :lol 

10. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    Man, I remember forgetting it was SAT day, so I was still drunk and a bit stoned the first time I took it. Never bothered studying for it either. Got the same exact score the second time I took it.

Those tests mean nothing in the grand scheme of life.

11. Cascadia

Cascadia Mt. St. Hilary

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The SATs...I did not do very well on them. I was within the 900s for my score. I still got in the university of my choice. The main aspect behind that test is on how you do on the test that day, not what you know from school. It does not even really affect the grand scheme of life or how one does at the college level.

12. SkywarpsNipples

SkywarpsNipples ホンマおもろい人やね〜

News Credits:
    Fuck it. I have a 2.7 GPA, never took the SATs and was accepted into a major University for the upcoming fall semester with a $17,500 grant.

13. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    This article is dead on though. That is how I felt during the test too. It drove me nuts how they would jump back and forth between math and English. It is BS to do that. Switching from your left brain activity to right brain activity back and forth is frustrating at the least. If you take the Princeton reviews, you get use to it. If you don't you stand no chance. Your brain is not meant to work in this matter. When have you been forced to make up a creative story then all the sudden switched to doing a quadratic equation? Just not real life at all.

Most people follow either a creative path or a logical path. Very few jobs have both components except for the writters of the big bang theory. Even then, they are not solving math equations and writing.

I am willing to bet that if the SATs were two part tests, people would do much better. Funny thing is that I was in AP math in 11th grade and AP English. I scored in the 99th percentile for the NYC regents for math and the 96th percentile for English. However, I got a freaking 900 on the SAT.

I was proud of the 900 to. It was 450 on both sections, exactly. I think it was my brain saying, fuck this. Funny thing, people were like, 900 what are you retarded? I said yeah, that is why I have the highest grade on the math regents in the school.

Fact is, the test is a joke and proves nothing. I really feel for kids taking that test.

14. Razerwire

News Credits:
    I'm glad I took it before they changed it.

15. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Aww, i was gonna post 'yeah razerwire, we kinda figured.' Dammit.

Thx for putting my hopes up!

16. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:

Lies. Most important test of high school and anything else is life.

17. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Know what, I got like a 750 and I passed college with A's and I'm getting my second masters, so I don't get why H.S. make a big deal about SAT(s).

Funny I took the SAT (s) the second time and maybe I got like 10 points better, but that was it.

I heard (couple years ago) that its a big money making scam and they wanted to get rid of the SAT (s).

18. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    These types of tests are ruining classes and schools, or more specifically, IB testing. Teachers teach strictly the IB curriculum, and not information that is applicable outside of the test. Really makes it seem like a waste of time.

19. Razerwire

News Credits:
    I took a lot of IB classes in high school. Decided against taking the exams though. I think I was at a point where I didn't want to take any more exams and just enjoy the rest of my days in a high school overseas. :lol 

20. prowler13

prowler13 Queen of Ferelden

Holy shit. I was forced to leave the room, I was laughing so hard while reading the article. All jokes aside. I hated the test when I took it 14yrs ago and I just could not imagine taking it again. I hate standardized tests. I don't think it's a fair assessment of a child's potential. Some people just don't do well on standardized tests. Case in point, my oldest. Here in FL we have the FCAT. A test that all students starting in 3rd grade has to take to see if they can move on the next grade. It is very hard to overturn a bad test result too. My oldest is taking it for the first time this yr and I am very worried for him. He has been taken into the honors program so he is obv smart. He just really sucks at taking tests. He is too slow to finish. I had to get him a special paper from the school district saying that he was not bound by time constraints on tests and stuff. He doesn't need to repeat 3rd grade cause he did poorly on some stupid state test. Sorry for he rant. I know there has to be some kind of tests, but other factors should be taken into consideration.