Retailers must really not want my money

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by kronatron, Jul 29, 2012.

1. kronatron

kronatron Well-Known Member

/StartRant.exe:

Walmart in my area placed another price hike on deluxes! From an already inflated 12-ish, now they're almost $16.00? By the pit! I remember when you could get a BW-Mega sized figure for that price. And of course, it was like 20 BB's and 1 CJ. Feeling my wallet getting strangled, I stopped by the Target a few blocks down. SAME THING.

WTF? I wouldn't be so reticent if it was a revolutionary new gimmick or transformation technology, but I got knockout like 2 weeks ago at what after taxes was like $14.00 and his fender/hiphugger broke off like 2 seconds into the transformation. Me = pi$$ed!

Lack of retailer participation is what screwed the US out of some nice DOTM figures and FE's, which is why I'd LIKE to support my local wallyworld so I at least get a chance of seeing some of the new stuff, but at this rate, I'm thinking I should save my money for 3rd party stuff that *earns* its pricetag. That, or maybe order wholesale and flip the ones I don't want on ebay.

Anyone else's wallet being slowly murdered like this? Is it a preemptive strike against tax-free weekend? Or how 'bout the drought the US Midwest that's slowed down corn production? "The SPI--err, CORN must flow!"

Seriously?

/EndRant

-Kronatron, patiently waiting for wave-2 PRID.

2. OmegaSupreme235

OmegaSupreme235 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I'm in Reno,Nevada I'm thankful I hardly ever have a problem finding anything in my area.

Knocks on wood!

3. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    I can't say I like the price hikes all that much, but I am willing to pay the price for figures that I like, which is more my dilemma these days. Between TRU exclusives, and all the goodness from 3rd parties that came out at TFCon this weekend, I don't think there will be a lack of things for me to spend money on.

4. Joalro

Joalro Well-Known Member

This is you lagging behind Canada. Keep following us like you are and you will be paying $20 next.

5. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    RID toys are not worth retail prices they are far to small - even the small difference between First Edition and RID toys shows up sometimes as borderline insulting.

Arcee and Knockout being especially teeny. Buying them in a sale is the ideal solution but at $16.00 even the sale price won't be super cheap unless they decide to go half-price.

6. LadyStarscream

LadyStarscream Queen of Cybertron

I feel your pain, truly I do! But I place blame more on Hasbro than on retailers. If Hasbro didn't keep forcing so many BBs in each wave, then retailers might move stock quicker and therefore would be likely to restock more often and participate in more offerings. Retailers don't know the difference between BB or Vehicon. If stock isn't moving, they aren't going to replenish.

Edit: I presume the price hikes are due to Hasbro charging retailers more for their product.

7. kronatron

kronatron Well-Known Member

Ugh, and I don't even *like* Bumblebee, more of a 'con guy myself. Prime BB's too much of a Bay-type re-characterization and though he got a nice back-story on the show, I just can't get attached to him, as part of the cast or as a toy. The only reason I even got one was b/c my son seems to like him.

Interesting development: I can't seem to find any deluxes on Walmart.com. Strange.

8. wheeljack359

wheeljack359 Master Technician

Ebay:
    Hey as the price goes up it will make the 3rd party prices seem more reasonable.........

9. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Go buy the cyberverse

10. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Who're you calling a geek?

News Credits:
    Very true. ;) 

11. Carpool

Carpool Well-Known Member

/\ THIS /\ Is the best response ever. I laughed my ass off. Retailers dont know what they are selling. Thats part of the problem. If they hired people that knew their job and understood the department that they headed up then there wouldnt be a problem moving stock. There is also another problem that Wal-Mart has...as does any store really. Hoarding. I know for a fact based on what friends who actually work stocking shelves and unloading trucks, the staff that open the boxes will take the more hard to get figures first before the consumer gets a chance. While not illegal or against policy...as long as its money in the till why do they care right? I believe this is another reason you see 38 Bumbles, 2 Wheeljacks, 1 Bulkhead, and sometimes a Soundwave or an Arcee the night after stocking. Retailers do shoot themselves in the foot. They dont have a clue as to what theyre selling and the people doing the orders have no idea how to balance theyre stock. These stores need to adopt a policy of purchasing for their employees as well. Money is money but if you chase away your business for the sake of your employees then you are in fact hurting business. I dont even shop at Wally world for TFs anymore. I do all that on BBTS and TFsource. Its a bit more expensive but I get what I want without the hassle. Thats worth all the money in the world!

12. Kylehudson14

Kylehudson14 On when I'm on

They really dont...

13. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    If I could order cases that had ZERO Bumblebees I'd at least DOUBLE my orders. As it is my costs are already higher than the big box guys and knowing that I'll be stuck with so many shelfwarmers makes it hard to justify ordering more.

I'd love it if the specialty market could order cases of figures ala carte...(still keeping it at full cases but make it a full case of the same figure) like McFarrane does with their sports figures...other than chase figures I can order full cases of just the local players to meet my customers demand!

14. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    im importing and to be honest im glad there is a break i need to save because i want a life out side transformers agian lol this has been nuts latly

them puting so many figures that i already in the waves of prime make it easy as pie to collect

use down time to back track i have over the last few years and now im caught up so any down time by now on is just going to be saveing lets see

4 voyagers 2 deluxes 1 masterpiece left for the WHOLE year feels great to be honest

15. Wolfdawg

Wolfdawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm sort of with you on this issue OP. There are very few retail releases that I'm interested in, and with not only the smaller sized figures, but the poorer plastic quality becoming more and more apparent, the higher prices seem like a slap in the face. Therefore, after I get a few FoC figures (namely Grimlock, the Wreckers, and Blaster) I'll be done with collecting Hasbro figures.

I've actually been contemplating focusing more on 3rd party releases and Masterpiece figures since they are apparently the only toys that are intended for adult collectors anymore.

16. jtscribe

jtscribe Well-Known Member

I haven't bought a new official figure since around Christmas. Everything else I've bought new has been third-party.

17. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    If you think the prices are too high then don't buy them. Thats what I'm doing. I don't care for how simple the transformations have gotten, how much of the budget is going towards gimmicky trash, how small the figures are or how cheaply made they feel so I'm voting with my wallet and leaving them on the pegs.

Its a win-win situation. I have more cash in my pocket, and less impulse-buy clutter on my shelves.

Found a FoC Prime on shelves the other day. At $13-ish I'd consider but for $15 and tax I couldn't even look at it twice.

It was the same situation when I was living in the UK, except there I wouldn't even see anything until 8 months after it stopped showing up everywhere else on the planet thanks to having one store within 20 miles that actively carried robits.

18. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    1) Welcome to the rest of the world (including your own), qq moar, you know the drill.

2) Wal-Mart's pretty much always been a shitty place to buy toys when you're a dedicated collector, so I don't see why this "hike" is really a surprise.

3) If you don't like a price or product, don't buy it or don't buy it from the place you dislike. At the end of the day, you still have TRU, Target, K-Mart, as well as countless discount retailers, and that's not even taking online venues into account.

... moral of the story? Reality bites, but I'm sure you'll be alright.

19. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    It's called inflation, deal with it. Everyone else has to as well.

20. bossprime

bossprime wrecker

The problem is retailers want more bumblebee because he's recognizable.
    It's the same thing with duke in Gi Joe and Darth Vader in star wars. Retailers pressure hasbro for more core characters in a large number of brands.