Retailer/Third party sponsorship of video reviews: YAY or NAY?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by archieboy, Jan 12, 2013.

?

Video review ads/sponsorships: YAY or NAY?

1. YAY

17 vote(s)
    30.9%
  2. NAY

16 vote(s)
    29.1%
  3. DON'T CARE (but care enough to vote :))

22 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. archieboy

archieboy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just to be clear, I'm not singling out any particular video reviewer with this post.

So, an online retailer advertises on the channel of a video reviewer. Or 3rd party company provides free samples for a review.

Pluses:
    > Extra income/free figure for video reviewer
    > Possibility for video review before product launch
    > A convenient way to purchase (via a link) for someone who likes the figure

Minuses:
    > Maybe loss of objectivity with the possibility of reviewer excessively "upselling" the figure
    > Possible loss of credibility

Fans, does it bother you when reviewers post ads of online retailers in their reviews? Or not?

Video reviewers, if you feature such ads, do they in any way affect your pitch and recommendations regarding the figure involved? Video reviewers with no ads, would you like to feature ads if the opportunity presents itself?

2. Astronut

Astronut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm not a big fan of it myself, as it always puts a doubt in the back of my mind regarding the reviewers objectivity. Not saying that I suspect any of them to hype a product up for their sponsor, but I wouldn't be surprised if it happens.

One thing it can do is direct new collectors to the sponsoring store, and only that one. When I was new I didn't know of RK, TFSource or any of the smaller ones. Pretty much every major reviewer back then was sponsored by BBTS, and I thought that was the only place outside ebay where I could find TF toys. Which led me to being savagely raped by customs on my first (pretty massive) order.

It's good to see early reviews and all, but in my case I wouldn't have a figure in hand before Americans do anyway, so it wouldn't matter much.

Overall it's not something I think about beyond that nagging feeling that asks if the reviewer is being REALLY honest or not.
    Again, not accusing anyone. I wouldn't have started collecting if it wasn't for youtube reviewers.

3. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

good topic.

not singling anyone out, but it is just really likely to happen. you're not going to make your sponsors happy if you're telling people not to buy stuff.

4. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Put the video on mute if you think there will be bias. Problem solved.

5. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

no need to put it on mute if you can think critically. some of them need to be muted because they suck at speaking though.

"uuuhhh this is nice.... uhh so thats cool... uhhh i like it... so that really cool.... uhhh... uhhh... uhhh...." :stick: 

6. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, not a problem for me either. I don't listen to any reviewers' pitch, just the details about the toy itself and it's functionality/limitations.

7. Bossguy

Bossguy Banned

You're not talking about EmGo, Optibotimus, Peaugh, Mitchsantona, and TJduckett, right? Those guys are awesome.

8. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    It does not bother me. Optibotimus is not afraid to be negative ( I think it's a good thing. ) and he has ads. I'm sure they get discounts at the sites but the website does not make they toys if its not 3rd party. So bbts is still going to get people to go to the website because they have other figures on sale. 1 crap toy is not going to stop sales.

9. archieboy

archieboy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I owe a lot to these great video reviewers. They were able to help me avoid a few duds, or get through an impossible transformation. So I do want them to earn from what they are doing.

That said, I also want video reviews to be objective, or subjective based only on the personal tastes of the reviewer and not on the objectives of the sponsor. There are natural conflicts between objectivity/credibility and personal gain, but if some reviewers can find the proper balance, it means it can be done.

10. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I have no problem with it. If the reviewers get sponsored, we get to see more reviews sooner. And honestly, you really can't lie about how good the figure is because it is right there clear as day on camera. No matter what the guy says, I can see both modes and the transformation for myself.

11. bumblebeeprime2

bumblebeeprime2 Banned

News Credits:
    i honestly dont mind! since Hasbro/takara tommy and or 3rd party makes there products it would only make sence for them to explain there products! instead of the fans!

that is my opion though. but i love PEaugh and all the people who do those reviews/video review of the TF toy.

12. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The only thing that should matter in a review is how clear and comprehensive it is. If the content is all uncritical praise, then it's not a good review. The fact that there may be a sponsor is ultimately irrelevant.

13. Kuma Style

Kuma Style Everyday is Rusev Day TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm not trying to say anything one way or another, but when a reviewer becomes overly biased because of sponsorship, they are no longer a reviewer for whatever product or products are effected. That person has now become a paid advertiser which =/= a sponsored reviewer.

14. anikenvader

anikenvader Stuff & Things

News Credits:
    I agree with TJ Duckett. I'm a reviewer (nowhere near as he is) and in the review I may express my enjoyment for the figure, but I just love toys! And I like to give them checks for what they do right, not look at the negative.
    Given I DO point out my flaws with the figure. Never hold back. Just because you're sponsored shouldn't matter.
    Also, look more for item description on a toy review. I watched countless reviews bashing Universe Galvatron, and I still went out the next day, bought it, and enjoyed it. Opinion is opinion, I believe a reviews purpose to inform you on what the toy does, followed by the reiewers opinion backed up with fact and example, and then they add their own flair or personality into it.
    That's how I look at it, anyways.

15. RodimusDawg

RodimusDawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I know this will sound silly but voice pitch and speech pattern play into it for me. LoL I loath reviews with a abundance of Uuuuuuuhhhhh..........uuuuhhhh.... I think this turns into this? Wait you didn't take time to know what your showing? That's a bit irksome.

This. Honestly its a preference of choice on who or what to watch or read. If you feel the review is sullied by a reviewer biased choice of obtaining a offered figure I assume, then just read the comments of the other collectors who have this figure. And ask them questions.

Just don't take a one review not matter on whom it's from as a end all be all word and end of subject. Read or watch other reviews and broaden you search.

Your just being lazy if you don't.

16. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

I mute them. I just want to see the toy.

Most of them have nerdy voices. Either that or they totally fail at entertaining.

The most succesful ones, although in certain occassions biased, are entertaining. They are entertaining.

Just to add you can figure out easily if they are being biased.

Certain comparisons with careful use of words like:

- great display pieces only but comparable quality to (non-display only) retail.

Just read between the lines. You'll see the bias here too.

17. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    Honestly, I don't think the reviews are biased by the sponsorship. I mean, if it is an exclusive to the retailer, then maybe. Like If I saw a review saying that dark energon bumble bee is the best figure in the Prime line, I may not watch that reviewer again.

However, I have yet to see a review that I thought was biased by the sponsor.

Plus I thought the reviewers send back the figures to the stores.

18. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That's a fair criticism, and I definitely avoid some reviews on the basis of oratorical ability.

19. NemiMonkey

NemiMonkey Whippin Dem Fungals

News Credits:
    I've ignored many reviews on YT for this very reason. It's basically public speaking. At the very least make out a list or something of basic features/etc you want to mention. I don't want to end up skipping/muting half a review because you've mentioned the same point 5 times. That and lighting really bother me. It's great that you want to do a review of a figure you thoroughly enjoy, but when you do it in the darkest part of your room that becomes an issue.

As for reviewers having sponsorship it really doesn't bother me. Heck I would have never known about a lot of figures if it weren't for the fact that there were these video reviews. Although that could be a bad thing to for my wallet. :lol  Certain reviewers at times I have felt they were trying too hard to push the positives of a figure. As someone watching these reviews it's easy enough to ignore these and formulate my own opinions.

20. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Oh no he's got to go! go go my budget!

News Credits:
    Unless the figure is an exclusive to single Retailer I see no problem with a sponsorship as you could buy said figure anywhere.

if it is an Exclusive then i am wary but if they aren't obviously plugging the store and saying you must have this figure with an obvious change in their normal tone of voice, i will usually consider the review but watch another non sponsored one as well.