Retail repaints that are better than most Botcon exclusives?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Bass X0, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    I'd say all of Takara's recent repaints of the decade old Beast Wars toys. I have Dinobot, Cheetor and Howlinger and the painted detail on those are amazing. Far better than any exclusive toys IMO and far cheaper too.

Several of the Robot Masters repaints are also well done too, like Road Rocket.

2. thoughtcrime

thoughtcrime Well-Known Member

Target Sector Seven Hardtop, Strongarm, Clocker and Armorhide are better then most Botcon figures. Ditto for Cybertron Swerve, Super RID Prowl and RID Scourge. I'll add more as I think of them.

3. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

I think the future Target exclusive Air Raid is really well-done. I'm quite impressed with how neat the camo scheme turned out.

If you want to count it, in many ways the standard Japanese version of Vector Prime outdoes all his counterparts, including Alpha Trion.

I'd definitely agree on some of the Tomy BW repaints, but even now nobody can ever seem to get Dinobot just right (the Japan reissue does best on the robot mode, the Jurassic Park-style BWX for the alt).

Oh, and Universe Repugnus. The Buzzclaw mold, a personal and nostalgic favorite of mine, has never looked as good as he does there, but the Virulent Clone is a close second.

4. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

Cybertron Smokescreen sorta feels like a "Botcon repaint released to the public." And it's great. Same with Cybertron Excillion.

The movie Scout class Arcee repaints also look really nice, better than the Botcon figures based on that mold IMO.

Classics Cliffjumper, though a total shelfwarmer, is still a nice little repaint.

I think the upcoming Booster 10x repaint Nightbeat also looks quite snazzy, though it isn't based directly based on a previous character like most Botcon figures are (unless you count Squawktalk).

5. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    G1 Movie Jazz.

6. ActionMasterZod

ActionMasterZod LarzArz on twitter, man.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Almost every re-paint has been pretty damn clever in the recent years.

7. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Agreed. I try not to buy repaints, but when they're so cleverly done I honestly can't resist. Cybertron Smokescreen, Brakedown GTS, Dark Scorponok, Cannonball, they're all awesome.

I've got to give particular props to Cybertron Smokescreen. I love the G1 Smokescreen deco, and it works especially well on him. Too bad the Armada Hot Shot redeco that also was going to be based on G1 Smokescreen never got made, IMO Armada Hot Shot never looked better than that one. I still kick myself for not getting that relatively cheap test shot that time!

8. Taker

Taker Chilean TF Fan

I don't buy repaints. I prefer having just one toy per mold.