restoring old bots

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Prowl2000, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Prowl2000

Prowl2000 Keep it sealed

Ebay:
    So I got a lot of transformers from a friend of mine last night which include
    Omega Supreme
    Devastator
    Blaster
    Steeljaw
    Eject
    the autobot powerdashers
    perceptor
    swoop
    Lightspeed
    beachcomber
    grapple
    star scream
    and some old gobots
    Now my question is, what's some ways to restore these guys? I'm noticing some metal corrosion. The booklets to omega and his sticker sheet smell musty like they've sat in a damp basement for the last 15-20 years. How are the repro labels now? I haven't tried them since they went to the pre-cut labels. Are they using thinner paper than before because I've noticed alot of my boths with those stickers they don't stick very well. Or should I go a different route all together?

My thought was to take them apart down to the components and wash the plastic clean and then I was thinking about treating it with an light oil or something just to preserve the plastic. Thoughts?

2. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Reprolabels are awesome, recommended. I'm not sure why you would coat plastic with oil to preserve it, it sure won't be good for any stickers.

Metal corrosion can be cleaned up with a toothbrush and a paste made of baking soda and water, IIRC.

3. BowB4Prime

BowB4Prime arse dimples

tooth paste works well for corrosion as well, and a lite coat of vaseline buffed in will take some of the yellow out of white plastics, but be careful on stickers as mentioned
    i dont know about repro labels tho, coz the only bot ive ever needed stickers for was power master prime, and surprisingly they dont have his....and omegas stickers and booklet, if you put them in a tote with some baking soda for a week or so withought the baking soda touching it, it might just do the trick (also good for getting cigerette smoke out of e-bayed t formers)..... and in the cases of sivere corrosion, the buffing wheels on a dremel will grind it down fairly well

4. rework

rework The Voice of Experience

Whoa - A light coat of oil will not perserve plastic - It will eat into it. Plastic is made from petroleum and oil and/or vaseline will eventually dissolve it.

5. BowB4Prime

BowB4Prime arse dimples

yeah i guess i shoulda cleared up the whole washing off the jelly with some dish soap after you get the white look huh :redface..... but ive never had a real problem with it disolving my plastics

6. rework

You don't have a "problem", but you are dissolving plastic. That's the only way you can whiten yellowed plastic is to remove the top layer. Oils, abrasive cleaners and products like "goo gone" all do that.

7. BowB4Prime

BowB4Prime arse dimples

yeah yer right

8. Prowl2000

Prowl2000 Keep it sealed

Ebay:
    as far as the oil thing, I was just wondering it that's why I mentioned it. I really doubt I would have. Well, except for motor oil, yellowing, not a problem. The one I'm looking forward to restoring the most is Omega Supreme and Devastator.
    Has anyone done any Chrome restoring for like the weapons for the cassettes and stuff like that.

9. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    For wear on chrome edges and curves, I just use a silver felt tip paint pen. It blends in really nicely with the original chrome.

For larger areas, I'm not sure what you would do.

10. BowB4Prime

BowB4Prime arse dimples

im wondering the same for some g1 insecticons i have, and on another board, Citadel Colors "Mithral Silver" paint was suggested, but i have never tried it.....

11. rework

Be EXTREMELY careful taking apart an OS. if you disassemble the "top" of the tank, a handful of gears will fall out in your hand. It is not easy to put them back - Assuming you can figure our where they go.

I advise against taking the tank fully apart.

12. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The silver on the pipes here is Citadel silver. It's not chrome, and there's a better way to get that effect; Cheebs did on his Cyb Downshift custom. But the paint still looks decent.
    [​IMG]

13. BowB4Prime

BowB4Prime arse dimples

id like to thank you for showing me what that paint looks like Orodruin id like to see what the better way looks like now:-?

14. Subotnik

Subotnik Please Stand By.

15. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I redid a set of old beat up insecticons myself, and they look like new now, after some silver and black paint pens for touchups, clear nail polish for loose joints, and reprolabels.

You can't see the touched up chrome unless you've been told it's there. The only bad thing about the silver pens I use is that it will rub off, so I try not to touch those parts on them.

16. Subotnik

Subotnik Please Stand By.

Why don't you try coating the entire chrome piece with a clear gloss coat to seal it and stop it from coming off?

17. BowB4Prime

BowB4Prime arse dimples

hmmm i think imma break down and use the silver markers i used for my prime, and vp sword...it doesnt come off and its pretty glossy....and it doesnt rub off at all.... ill let yall know how it works tomorrow

problem with the gloss coat as a sealer, is it sometimes turns silver paints and stuff grey...made that mistake once before

18. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    That's not a bad idea, but it looks so good unglossed that I wonder if glossing them would screw the look up. And really, the rubbing off doesn't bother me, because they are mostly just display pieces.

Maybe I'll try it, I think I have some spray-on gloss I picked up that I never used.

19. BowB4Prime

BowB4Prime arse dimples

please let us know how it turns out