Restoring Junkers Vs Buying Complete Figures

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Tyjos, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Tyjos

Tyjos Just another Collector

Well I've recently now starting to feel the effects now of not being able to buy Full Complete G1 Figures I want since we don't have that much money to allocate to figures.

However I've found a way around this....though right now I'm wondering if it just is better to:

Buy a FULL COMPLETE vintage figure [Which always costs a ton depending on the figure]

Or

Buy Parts and assemble it my self [Which sometimes for the overall price to restore a figure to a full complete status may end up equaling the same as buying a full complete one]

I'm wondering if anyone else does this?

I've found recently that Parts are dirt cheap sometimes and had a notion to work to rebuild and restore a few junkers I find on ebay dirt cheap.

Right now I'm working on Restoring a Metroplex and a Dirge...with luck I may get a Thundercracker and Thrust body for less than $3 and I'll have to search for the Wings for Thrust and Thundercracker.

I like Restoration projects when it comes to Transformers, taking a cheap cast off toy that someone didn't want anymore and turning it into a nice collection piece.

2. Solscud007

Solscud007 Banned

News Credits:
    Yeah I agree. I dont feel like paying $300+ for an Ehobby Powered Convoy aka movie preview magnus. So i lucked out and found a junker diaclone trailer. I got a G1 Ultra Magnus for parts and restored 85% of it.

My fort max started out with finding Spike for only $10 at a comic store. but after getting cerebro, fortmax body, and buying the missing parts It is getting close to $400. But it is worth it. It is the thrill of the hunt.

3. Tyjos

Tyjos Just another Collector

Plus I find that you help make sure your figure gets the best condition parts for it....

And opens up the realm...of customizing.

After all why would you want to destroy a perfectly good figure when you got a junker laying around that's excellent for customizing.

4. Pasaway

Pasaway Well-Known Member

Depends on a few things for me.

How much patience you have, as you may be looking for that last piece for a long long time.

How much are you willing to pay for a small part. You mention parts are cheap, and it's true, you can find huge lots of parts for very little. But some parts are outragiously high. Go on Ebay, and look up the little yellow clips that hold Omega supremes legs together, they tend to go for $15-20 each. Also look up Spike or cerebrow, both can go for over $100 each easily. It seems the parts that are easier to loose are the ones that tend to be more expensive.

Also figures built from parts usually are pretty loose when your done assembling them.

Now that all said, I still like assembling them from parts. It's like a new way to play with your toys.
    But I keep my eyes open for a good price on a full figure. and if I do buy a full figure. I'll continue asembling the first one, and sell it.
    I've done it for Grimlock, and most of the dinobots, Omega supreme, and a few others. I was planning on doing it to Metroplex, Trypticon, and more of the larger Bots this year. Don't know that I'll start maximus till I find Spike or Cerebrow really cheap to start.

5. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I've built a good portion of my collection this way. I always have a long parts list with me at Botcon. The parts parties are the way to go to save on shipping and examine things in person. :) 

6. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    I think it is a sound alternative to piece together figures and parts to complete them if you can't afford to pay the higher amounts for the complete ones. Just don't stop looking for complete figs because you may end up missing a few good buys...

7. Blitzwing256

Blitzwing256 Triple changer

i'm two figures away from a complete gi colletion, and i've only ever bought one figure complete (omega suprreme for 75$) its a great deal of fun searching out the missing parts and pieces to what you need to complete something, I think thats half the fun of collecting, anyone can just drop a chunk of money on ebay to buy a c9 complete dirge, but honestly I'd rather have a slightly less then perfect dirge that I spent several years trying to find all the parts to, makes the toy a little more special to me.

8. rapid_fire

rapid_fire TFW2005 Supporter

I hate trying to track down pieces, and in the long run, it usually ends up costing you even more money (depending on the figure)

with newer toys (beast wars and up) buy them complete or don't bother at all

9. Grimlocka go-go

Grimlocka go-go Back from the Dead TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've gone both routes, swapped out a lot of parts for my Getaway, Joyride, Snapdragon, and quite a few others to make them as close to mint as i could get. Most G1 figures i bought have been through large Lots, that way the total cost per fig is lower than buying seperatly, but i've had to pay big bucks for a few, namely the large targetmasters, and couple of the other headmasters i have.

Putting a fig together and restoring them just got a helluva lot easier with the yellowing "cure" that's being experimented with on the boards. Gave a new lease on life for quite a few of my figs, specially my discolored siren. He was heading for the parts pile there for awhile.

10. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    I prefer piecing figures together, both accessories and in some cases body parts.

My favorite figure is my G1 Shockwave built from a broken $2 Goodwill figure and $10-$15 elbows I bought separately.

In many cases, completing figures' accessories works out cheaper for me. I don't buy individual weapons out of eBay stores (dit138,wheeljackslab,etc), which adds up fast. I buy weapons lots, keep what I need and sell or trade for more TFs. In fact, my entire collection is built that way and I consider it "paid for".

11. Backstop

Backstop Have you seen my box art?

News Credits:
    I have done this for years, smart thinking ;-)