Customs: Restoring Chrome

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by neek_buster, Aug 7, 2007.

1. neek_buster

neek_buster The One Man Army

News Credits:
    Lately, I've been starting to collect G1 figures, so far my collection is growing> I just have one question, is there a way to restore a worn chrome parts of old G1 figures? I just want them to look nice when displayed

2. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    the closest thing ive found so far is testors chrome paint.... it looks pretty close to real chrome, and all u need is a couple of light coats to bring out a good shine.

3. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    the closest thing ive found so far is testors chrome paint.... it looks pretty close to real chrome, and all u need is a couple of light coats to bring out a good shine.

4. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Testors chrome huh? I wonder how that'll work out for the leg plates on my scorponok. Any special trick to getting a decent finish?

5. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Testors chrome huh? I wonder how that'll work out for the leg plates on my scorponok. Any special trick to getting a decent finish?

6. jason jupiter

jason jupiter weird/ rare g1 KO hunter

testor's chrome is pretty good, it's an enamel spray so it takes really long to cure and will feel "sticky" if you don't clear coat on top. for a small part with lots of detail in it it works pretty good, for larger parts like scoponok's leg plates it will take a lot of work to get the correct finish.

if there is a local vacuum plater in your area, they may be cool with putting your parts in with a larger order and charging less. that's the only way to get a OEM finish.

7. jason jupiter

jason jupiter weird/ rare g1 KO hunter

testor's chrome is pretty good, it's an enamel spray so it takes really long to cure and will feel "sticky" if you don't clear coat on top. for a small part with lots of detail in it it works pretty good, for larger parts like scoponok's leg plates it will take a lot of work to get the correct finish.

if there is a local vacuum plater in your area, they may be cool with putting your parts in with a larger order and charging less. that's the only way to get a OEM finish.

8. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

You need a metallizing lacquer, like Alclad II.

9. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

You need a metallizing lacquer, like Alclad II.