Customs: Restoring Chrome.

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by BigRC83, Nov 20, 2006.

1. BigRC83

BigRC83 I'm singing in the rain

News Credits:
    Hello,

I need to restore the smoke stacks on my G1 Prime. Is there a specific shade of chrome paint that would work best? Thanx.

2. PsyckoSama

PsyckoSama Profressional Asshole

Chrome paint is not shiney

3. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Unfortunately, you can't really get an exact "chrome" match if you repaint G1 Prime's smokestacks. You'll get a silvery sheen if you use most laquer or acrylic silver paints, but you won't get that reflective shine.

You could search the 'net for bare metal foil and see if there's a website or brick-and-mortar hobby shop nearby that supplies the foil. It's a nice chrome substitute. After a little bit of practice, you should be able to wrap the smokestacks with the foil and get it to apply as close as the original chrome.

4. Black Omen

Black Omen Well-Known Member

Try WD-40. It shined up the crome on my G-1 Mirage.

5. manyoufactsure

manyoufactsure Maximal TFW2005 Supporter

Just don't get any WD-40 on your stickers. It will take them off real fast.

6. Black Omen

Black Omen Well-Known Member

I know. I did use WD-40 to take them off so I could apply my reprolables on him.

7. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    There's a Gundam Marker called Gundam Marker - GUGM100 Plated Silver (or something like that) that you might want to investigate. I've never used it so I'm not sure how close it is to vaccume-metalised plastic.

8. Xaxis

Xaxis Well-Known Member

An employee at my local hobby shop was telling me about a paint that you put over a coat of gloss black that does a pretty good job of creating a chrome finish. I haven't used it, and he only had one sample that he'd used it on in the store. Might be something to ask about if you have a hobby shop nearby.

9. mihovilovicm

mihovilovicm Member

Try using Testors chrome spray (if I remember well it's the #1290 color). It's not exactly like electrostatic or mirror chrome but it's the best I have tested and it's far superior to silver chrome or other metallic paints.

10. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

In southern Ohio, we call that "Kentucky Chrome" :lol 

Seriously, though, you may also want to try the "Aluminum" paint made by Rust Oleum...pretty shiny when all is said and done, but still not as mirror-like as the original chrome.

Short of having the part re-chromed, Ops_was_a_truck's "foil" recommendation will probably get you the closest result to actual chrome.

11. agesthreeandup

agesthreeandup Energon Supplier

News Credits:
    or you could just buy a set of chrome G1 stacks from me and save yourself all the trouble.

Other than that, bare metal foil will look good if done well. Paint will never work right. It just does not have the same look to it.

Spencer

12. Rod

Rod No Silly Robot User Name

Now there's a shameless plug, if I ever saw one :wink:  :lol 

Seriously though, the chrome stacks at agesthreeandup are awesome , i got a set a while back... check them out:

http://www.agesthreeandup.com/main.jsp?p2=shopping/product.jsp&product_id=552

13. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

Strip the remaining chrome off them, and paint them with a metallizing lacquer. Allclad II is about the best kind you can get. I really does look like chrome.

14. doom saber

doom saber New Member

15. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

Has anybody tried the chrometechusa site above?

16. TwoKingMick

TwoKingMick Mick

You know, we really should make a serious group effort to come up with a solution to this problem. There are very few issues that come up on the kitbashing section that bring up so many diverse options and opinions. It would be marvelous to have a good resource with comparison photos and what not showing the various methods and results.
    When you think about it restoring chrome is the biggest standing problem in restoring vintage bots.
    Anybody feel up to making a collective effort to collect and document the processes?

17. Tenebrouser

I'm going to e-mail one of the places above and look into rechroming some G1 parts I have. It shouldn't be too expensive.

18. TwoKingMick

TwoKingMick Mick

Chrometechusa looks good. Would you be interested in letting everyone know how the process goes? I'd be more than willing to take apart a load of old chrome pieces and have them come back a few days later sparkly and new. If it goes well for you than I'll give them a mail and ask about international customers.

19. Tenebrouser

I emailed them, asking if it were possible to rechrome the side leg pieces for my G1 Skorponok. I'll post any reply I get. If yes, I'll definitely try it.

20. Tenebrouser

OK.

The Chrometechusa site responded very quickly and requested pictures of what I wanted rechromed. So that's a good sign.

If they can do it, I'm going to go ahead and get my skorp leg panels redone.