Restoring a G1 Scorponok

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Takeshi357, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    I'm close to being finished with a display-worthy Scorponok, and I've already removed all the stickers apart from the chest one but I've yet to get a new sticker sheet from reprolabels.

Question; there's an unsightly paint chip on the orange chest bit. Can someone recommend a good model paint to patch it up? In fact, does anyone have a used can of matching orange model paint they'd be willing to sell? I don't think there's much point buying a full new can just to patch up that one bit.

Also, I'm using lighter fluid to scrub the stickers off, which is why I haven't touched the chest sticker; is there any chance the lighter fluid will end up scrubbing off the paint as well?

2. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Why not just use Goo Gone for the stickers? I've used that for removing any sticker or mold release residue.

Also, not just any orange will do. You may need to make a custom mixture that matches up with the plastic, otherwise you might have a glob of paint that's too light or too dark.

3. HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy Decepticon. I'm no hero

News Credits:
    It will be hard to exact match the color and on top of that if you just paint where it is chipped, you will still see the repair. If you have the guts, you should find a paint that matches as close as possible and disassemble the figure and strip and repaint that whole part to make it look the best. Just a suggestion. I think you would be much happier that way though.

4. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Depending on how big the chip is, I'd also recommend filling it with super glue/baking soda or a hardening putty followed with a light sanding of the area.

But yea, color matching is extremely difficult. You have to test out your mixtures.

5. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Lighter fluid??? Yikes, that doesn't like a good idea man. Get some Goo Gone, it works wonders and ... well, it turns out it is flammable, but still. It's designed for such things. :) 

6. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Lighter fluid's ok to use as long as you're not smoking while removing the labels or you don't plan on striking a match during removal. Unless you want to burn a Scorponok. I've used lighter fluid before, and it works fine. Just make sure to clean the area off with a damp enough cloth.

7. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Heh, that'll teach me to open my mouth when I'm not certain.

8. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Just don't use lighter fluid! :D 

No sweat, man. Using chemicals such as lighter fluid isn't the most practical of things. Also, I prefer to use Goo Gone for label removal as well. :) 

9. scubaboy31

scubaboy31 Digital Gypsy

News Credits:
    I've also pretty much finished rebuilding my own Scorponok (it's been a labour of love, the nearest I can get to building a classic car. I've been on a tight budget that's allowed to buy one piece each month and only if what I want is available and a decent price) and I'm in pretty much the same situation.

I've decided to leave the single chip to the orange paint on mine though. The figure is old, has a history and I don't want to deny it that. Makes it cooler than a reissue in my eyes. Plus, colour matching is more effort than it's worth for me.

10. mrclean08

mrclean08 G1 FOR LIFE

Takeshi, did you ever finish this G1 Scorponok restoration project?

I just started one about two months ago and it is coming along nicely. I'll have to post some before and after pictures once I'm done. Do you have any pics?

11. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    Oh, yeah. I was wondering what this thread was about - I didn't even notice it was mine :D 

Since I wound up buying two Scorponoks for the project, I also ended up switching around bits and pieces from the two for the best quality joints and sold the rest as a junker, basically.

The lighter fluid worked like a charm on the sticker residue, resulting in a nice, smooth surface where the stickers used to be. Unfortunately, the sticker sheet I bought from ebay weren't the reprolabels but some crappy knockoff ones that have just flat black colour instead of the chrome effect :(  And I only realized this after the fact. But apart from that, I'm only missing two of the base mode antennas - and one of Fasttrack's guns, which I supplemented with a knockoff one, no way I'm paying 100+ dollars for an inch long piece of orange plastic!

As for the chipped bit of paint on the chest hatch...well, I just bought a whole new hatch.

12. mrclean08

mrclean08 G1 FOR LIFE

I was going to suggest just changing the new hatch too. :) 

I just finished removing the stickers on mine, I did a thorough cleaning by disassembling, and did a light polish to renew the shine of the plastic. So I'm at the stage of reapplying stickers.

I notice there are 3 types of stickers available for Scorponok. I'm assuming the ones you purchased with the black ink versus silver ink was the TF Kingdom ones?

TF Kingdom
    [​IMG]

Reprolabels
    [​IMG]

Doufaceb
    [​IMG]

13. Superquad7

News Credits:
    I think it's worth noting that the Doufaceb sheet is a reproduction of the label sheet itself, whereas the other two are attempts to reproduce the stickers only.

14. mrclean08

mrclean08 G1 FOR LIFE

Right. I actually purchased the Doufaceb sheet and the Reprolabels sheet together. I will use all the Doufaceb stickers and anything missing like the stock pre-applied stickers, I will just take off the Reprolabels sheet.

Was the "black sections" sticker sheet by TF Kingdom used for an actual figure? (Maybe Black Zarak?) Or did they just mess the color scheme up?

15. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Scorponok and Black Zarak share the same labels to the best of my knowledge.

16. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    Looks like the TF kingdom ones alright.

One thing I realized I still haven't done, I should get in contact with that Chrometech USA company and mail them the leg panels for Scorponok to re-chrome them, they're kinda worn out and I recall the prices were'n too bad either.

17. mrclean08

mrclean08 G1 FOR LIFE

How much are they charging to re-chrome the pieces?

18. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    I dug up the old e-mail I sent them asking about it and they say it's 10 dollars each.

19. Superquad7

News Credits:
    This (along with some other parts) constitutes a want by me as well.