Restoring a G1 Jetfire. Possible?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Tigertrack, Feb 25, 2010.

1. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Hell there. I was wondering if it's possible to restore the white on a G1 Jetfire? Example, if you have white plastic or paint that's turned yellow, could one bleach it back to white? It would be a pain in the ass to take it all the way apart and repaint it. Plus, my painting skills won't do it justice.
    I'm trying to find a mint condition G1 Jetfire, but I'm just wondering. Thank's!

2. sunlink

sunlink Be Transformed TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
  3. chugway

chugway ming mong ping pong

in theory it's a piece of piss - disassemble, bleach visible white plastics, use masking tape to mask off straight lines and airbrush the red & black back on in lots of fine layers, finish with UV protective finish of some kind and apply reprolabels.

never disassembled a jetfire, so i dunno how easy that is, and instead of the airbrush you could hand paint it or use rattlecans (i like the sprays but you may end up with a grainy finish). i have no idea what people are using as a uv retardant coating.

ask in radicons mate - they do this sort of thing all day long

4. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    Use plain Hydrogen Peroxide. The kind you get at Wal-greens in the brown bottle. Put it in a clear glass jar and sit it out in the sun. In a few days the parts with turn back. You might have to turn them towards the sun to get everywhere. Those other methods work but they are costly and have problems. If you leave that stuff on for too long they ruin the plastic. Plain Hydrogen Peroxide is safe. I have left parts in there for weeks and they were fine. I am not saying if you leave them in there for a year they will not deteriorate. You will be amazed at the results. Also, if you are careful it will not ruin stickers. Have fun and don't inhale......

5. Tigertrack

Thank you, I'd much rather find a Jetfire that doesn't need any restoration, but if worse comes to worse, I was just wondering if restoration would be possible.
    Anybody with actual experience in restoring G1 toy's?

6. Th0r4z1n3

Th0r4z1n3 The F*cking Lizard King! Veteran

News Credits:
    LOL I left part of a G1 Ramjet in there for well over 2 months and it was fine.

I've done 2 Jetfires so far and had great results. When it was all said and done, the metal parts on the legs that are painted white were the yellowest part of them. The only thing I ran into was the chest piece that has the red paint on it, the first one I did it faded the red. Also don't put metal pieces in there, on my first trial run I did a junked out Ramjet and it corroded the bare metal bits and made the paint bubble up off of the metal chest part.

Jetfire can be a pain to put back together so take lots of pics as you take him apart so you know how things fit back together. Good luck :D 

Before
    [​IMG]

And this is the really yellow one after
    [​IMG]

7. Tigertrack

Here's what came in today's mail. G1 Jetfire, 100% complete, great condition, but no where near mint. Dirty, not really yellowing, but dirty white. Red is in great condition, very tight joints, body-armor great except for inner part of left-leg pants there is a bent piece. Over all very happy to have one in this condition, this complete for a descent price.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What's the best way to go about restoring this guy? He's in overal fantastic shape, but just not minty-fresh as I had hoped. No real yellowing at all, but for sure dirty. The metal look's old, any way to polish it up?
    I don't like all the stickers put on it, and when I've peeled off a sticker, you can see where the white has aged compared to what the sticker was covering. The only "sticker" I want left on their is the Autobot symbol in his crotch area.
    The red and black paint is near perfect, there is a tiny scratch on the jet's nose however. The scratch is only visible when in jet mode, but in robot mode it's hardly noticed.
    Is this guy worth restoring? What would it cost to have it professionally restored and UV protected?

8. Bogatan

Bogatan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just try some warm water with a little washing up liquid and a tooth brush, Qtip or whatever to get into all the little areas. It can be amazing what a difference it can make.

9. Tigertrack

That's my next step after removing the unwanted stickers.

Forgot to ask, what's the best soap to use for cleaning something like this? Don't want something that'll be too harsh on it or ruin the red/black areas.

10. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You, these are great pics. Really making me want a Jetfire..I wish someone would make a new head for him though, one that looks like the cartoon. Kinda like the Universe version.

11. Tigertrack

I actually like this head better than the original Macross version. Although, agree a more cartoon accurate version would be nice. Perhaps the people that made the custom heads for G1 Iron-Hide and Ratchet could make one?
    I've just completed removing the unwanted stickers and it's already looking nicer. I think just a good bath in the right soap and a good scrub with a soft brush and she'll be nice and pretty!

12. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Jetfire's not too bad to disassemble; there's just a lot of him. And a LOT of screws; make sure you lay them out in a way that makes it clear to you where they all came from. I's also reccomend disassembling, for example, one leg at a time; that way you have the other one as reference on reassembly.
    Plenty, but none with Peroxide. Not yet, anyway; I have a Fort Max that's just crying out for the treatment.

13. Tigertrack

I'm going to see how he look's after a wash first. The white is pretty nice, just very dirty looking.
    Here he is in jet mode after removing some stickers on his legs. [​IMG]
    The only real flaw, is a little scratch on his nose which I tried to show here. Perhaps a dab of red touch-up paint? [​IMG]
    Leg's look much nicer after removing stickers.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Let's see how he look's after his bath.

14. Tigertrack

15. bouncing boy77

bouncing boy77 Syntax Error

yup. bought reprolabels for my g1 prime, ultra magnus as well as devastator. its really worth it in my opinion.

16. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I used the Reprolabels set on my Jetfire when I restored him. It's a superb set; the quality is outstanding.

17. MACRAPTRON

MACRAPTRON Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've used hydrogen peroxide in a Diaclone Prowl.

It does a fantastic job, but it DOES interact chemically with any paint applications. The paint on the hood, doors and shoulder sockets started to dissolve when I washed the pieces after the process. So make sure to have a new sticker set, some good paint and an airbrush around to do a decent restoration afterwards.

18. TheMint1980

TheMint1980 Member

re:fixing yellowing

Hey guys,

So i just tried an extremely effective de yellowing technique on an old junky parts bot Jetfire i just wanted to set up for display purposes.

I basically used the retrobrite tutorials as a guide but made it even simpler.

1) just pour 1 regular old standard 3 percent, 16oz (brown bottle variety) peroxide into a glass tuperware bowl.
    2) add 1/4 of 1/4 scoop of oxy brite laundry booster (little round can in tbe detergent section of your local pharmacy or grocer
    3) dissassemble Jetfire, drop the parts in the bowl, set the bowl and parts out in the sun, and stir every 40 minutes or so. Just let em soak, and watch the yellow permanently dissappear!
    4) rinse the parts off in water, dry with a paper towel, and let sit a few days more spread out on a towel so any interal screw hole bores, etc get nice and dry.
    5) Re assemble, and enjoy your brite white new looking toy.

More pluses with this method:

1) totally non toxic. i dont even have to use gloves. Peroxide is used to clean wounds, your ears, nose, makeup, etc, and that teensy, tiny pinch of oxy laundry booster is just an oxidizer to help the peroxide's reaction with the bromide (a plastic flame retardant additive) which causes the yellowing to the plastic over time.

2) perixide is about $1.50 a bottle. Oxy boost is $5.59 and 1 can can do hundreds of jobs as only 1/4 of 1/4 of a teaspoon is needed for every 16 oz bottle of peroxide. For me, 1 bottle de yellowed an entire Jetfire (completely dissassembled) in about 3 separate baths of the same solution over 2 days. Using some clever division for the oxy boost, de yellowing the entire toy back to brite white ran a total of $1.54. !!

3) The peroxide and oxy bath, in my observations, does not damage the paint or stickers when soaked for a few hours at a time and did absolutely nothing to the plastic's compositional or structural integrity or sheen. I did notice a fading to the scrap bot Jetfire's already worn chest paint...the black and red stripe, but with a little haze removing model wax, it looked as good as new again.

4) Its environmentally sound, the mixture is effective for up to 2 days (in my experience) and you can just pour it down the drain safely when you're done with it and rinse the bowl with regular old dish soap and water.

I hope this helps. I'd never use something like this on an expensive toy, ever. But any old parts or junkers or yellowed Storm Troopers, etc, this is a dream come true.

***Important note: Make SURE you remove ALL metal or hardware from any plastic parts before soaking, as the oxidized peroxide bath will definitely oxidize any metal,screws, pins,etc left inadvertantly on the parts and will contaminate your mixture. ***