Minor/Repaint: Restored Original G1 Ironhide into Diaclone

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Pintopower, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Pintopower

Pintopower Active Member

Ebay:
    My first transformer was Ironhide. I got him in 85 and I never liked him. Reason being, where the hell is his head? Recently I disovered that a few folks are making a head for Ironhide so I decided to restore the old guy. Here is a video that shows his old state.

G1 transformers ironhide | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Since his plastic was faded and showing a good deal of stress areas, I decided to make him a black diaclone. I used Tamiya black paint with a grey Tamiya primer. The paint is like steel and he transforms without problem. All joins were stiffened up and he is like a new transformer. Decals are from reprolabels and yes I know the rub sign does not belong on him. Don't really care, I like it. Built him over a rainy weekend since I could not go out and work on the full size cars. Enjoy!

More images can be found here:

Transformers - a set on Flickr

Attached Files:

2. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    This looks great. What paints are you using for the diecast parts, what's your experience been with them, and how are they holding up thus far?

3. G G D

G G D Active Member

Ditto for me.

Nice job on the restore.

4. Pintopower

Pintopower Active Member

Ebay:
    Thanks guys. The die cast parts were done with Testors paint. I heated the metal in the oven to about 150 degrees and then heated automotive primer (careful here, it can explode so just use hot water) and then sprayed 3 very light coats. The paint will not chip and he has been transformed about 10 times so far with no sticking or scratching. I will not lie and say I don’t take special care when I transform him but since he is not going to be played with any more, the strength is sufficient to be parked on a shelf and transformed from time to time. My experience with Testors paint is that over time it becomes steel but the first few months, it is very weak and soft. I was just happy they matched. I am thrilled at the outcome as before he was a catastrophe.

5. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

Nice work. I would seal the whole thing just to be safe.

6. Pintopower

Pintopower Active Member

Ebay:
    Thank you. Do you mean seal it with a clear? I did shoot it with a semi-gloss Testors and Tamiya, respectively. It was to shinny to look real prior to that.

7. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    You used acrylics or enamels?

8. WheeljackDude

WheeljackDude Well-Known Member

Nice. But I'd rather buy the Encore Black Ironhide (Trust me, TakaraTomy made those during the release of Encore Ironhide) and a Diaclone driver from TransRepro.

9. convoymagnus

convoymagnus Yeshua Is Mashiach.

Ebay:
    Nice! I have done a yellow trailbreaker, a black skids and a red hoist , also a blue hoist (with a blue diakron trailbreaker) I am waiting for the reprolabels to how the gallery, keep the good work!

10. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    TransRepro hasn't been active for years now. I hope you're not waiting on parts or planning another order.

Darkov may make them, but I'm not sure.

11. convoymagnus

convoymagnus Yeshua Is Mashiach.

Ebay:
  12. Pintopower

Pintopower Active Member

Ebay:
    Thanks you guys.

Superquad7 - I think Tamiya paint is a lacquer and Testors is enamel.

WheeljackDude - I didn't want the repop as my takare repop Ratchets are of very poor quality. This guy came out near perfect and was the best thing to do with a trashed old Ironhide. You can see the video I made on youtube comparing the Originals VS the Repops on the first post of this thread.

convoymagnus - thank you very much. Means a lot coming from someone with your abilities (those Diaclone drivers are awesome).