restore yellowing plastic and metal on jetfire

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Benscollectables, Jul 17, 2009.

1. Benscollectables

Benscollectables Decepticon, Supreme Class

Ebay:
    has anyone come up with a sure fire way to restore white plastics and metals. I have a g1 jetfire and will showcase it if we can get it working

2. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    i need this info too, i am trying to get my hands on a cerebros an d it is pretty much garuntee it will have yellowing unless i get extremely lucky (which has happen before hehehe lol)

3. Prometheum5

Prometheum5 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Google and forum search are your friends... this was all over the place a few months ago:
    Retr0Bright - home

4. Benscollectables

Ebay:
    right so let me get this straight its a combo of peroxide and oxy. Does this work?

5. Paladine

Paladine Well-Known Member

Yes it works. Search around, there's another thread that describes this in detail.

I think the title is roughly "Yellowing problems - this might help."

6. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    DO NOT use this treatment on painted metals such as Transformers. It will bubble the paint, thus ruining it. Also, you don't need to use oxy stuff but it helps

Here's the TFGD discussion about it late last year: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-toy-discussion/197984-yellowing-problems-might-help.html

There's also a more recent thread in Radicons.

7. Benscollectables

Ebay:
    oh ok.so is there a safe method for my jetfire. Its taken me this long to get him i dont want him bubbled.

8. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    You could try wrapping the metallic paint in something to prevent contact with the peroxide, or even better, completely disassembling your jetfire and only putting the yellowed white plastic into the solution, which would ensure better coverage and possibly be easier to work with than an intact figure. Wrapping may not be completely effective as a means of protection, either.

Also, from what I've seen the peroxide doesn't really attack decals and paint (except metallic paints), but if the paint or decals are peeling or damaged, it may make things worse.

9. DeathStorm

DeathStorm Snoochie Boochies

News Credits:
  10. Benscollectables

Ebay:
    i will take him apart hope i can put him back together . Can not be that hard. Any one know where i can get new decals for him

11. DeathStorm

News Credits:
  12. Benscollectables

Ebay:
    cool. Are theY ANY good. I can get originals for £10 complete

13. DeathStorm

News Credits:
    They are the best out there. And the stickers are a little more durable than the originals. No thin, foil type stickers that scratch off or are immediately stuck in their position.

Only downfall is they don't offer instructions. You'll need to find the toy's instruction booklet to find out where the stickers go. Usually this can be found online.

14. Benscollectables

Ebay:
    thanks guys you have all been really helpful. I will strip jetfire down when i finish my night shift and let you all know how it goes. Please check out my trade page as well if anyone wants anything let me know.

15. Lunar Archivist

Lunar Archivist Well-Known Member

16. guard convoy

News Credits:
    whoa them reprolabels for fort max are f'in expensive lol

17. Prometheum5

Prometheum5 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's because they are ENORMOUS! I've found that Reprolabels are really quite fairly priced considering they're usually printed to order, and all die-cut.

18. guard convoy

News Credits:
    i can understand that, i am just laughing at the fact that if i was to get a sticker sheet from them, it would cost more than my fort max itself :lolol  i am glad the stickers on mine are in good condition

19. mrclean08

mrclean08 G1 FOR LIFE

Reprolabels are probably the best out there, but they for sure aren't the best that could be. On some of their sticker sets, you can totally tell they are printed from a computer as you will actually see pixelization and "jaggy lines" on some of the designs. I've actually ordered some where their black inkjet ink has "ran" all over the sticker sheet.

Yes, they are durable than anything out there, but if you are looking for an identical 100% match to original stickers, Reprolabels do not match that level. Before they switched to their current printing process and newer styled paper, their quality actually did match original sticker sets almost 95% of the way. The only drawback then though was that none of the sticker sheets were pre-cut and you had to use scissors to cut them out.

That being said, Reprolabels will actually include stickers that were issued on the actual G1 toys from the factory. These are particular stickers that weren't on the sticker sheets. I've seen some KO sticker sheets that have the closest look to original G1 stickers; however, their adhesive quality sucks and they don't include the factory placed stickers.

It's either this or that. There isn't a perfect solution yet. If you can get the originals and they are in good shape, definitely pick them up.

20. Benscollectables

Ebay:
    thanks guys that really helps. Now all i need are his rear fender guards lol. Cant find them either and a junker, going to do a rotf nemesis style g1