Restore my faith in Transformers, please!

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Bathawk, May 31, 2009.

1. starscream-99

starscream-99 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree. There's no need for insults.

2. Star Cracker

Star Cracker Well-Known Member

I love it when new mainline toys and movie toys come out because it means I get to save on cash. I personally like Classics/Universe 2.0 and some of the RID, Energon, and Cybertron toys as well (which is ironic since I only liked RID, Energon started off good, then just dragged, and I couldn't get past Episode 9 of Cybertron).

Ironically, I really enjoyed the Animated series, but collected none of the toys (though Lugnut is tempting, simply because I love the character).

As for movie toys, the alternate modes are great and are typically near/at Alternators level of detail. I even purchased a deluxe Brawl who remains in a cardboard box, MISB, simply due to the vehicle mode. Robot modes, otoh....

3. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I don't know if people need to move on.

Yes fall 2010 seems like it is forever away at this point but Hasbro has said they expect Universe to return then. That means we should see some of those toys displayed at next years Toy Fair and Bot Con.

Still some Animated toys left for fans of the Animated toys.

No telling what sort of Transformers related things Hasbro's TV channel will show.

Plus if new toys was the only way to remain in a fandom then there would be a lot fewer fandoms out there. I'm a GI Joe fan since 1983 so I've survived years with no GI Joe toys on the shelves at all. Doesn't mean I stopped being a GI Joe fan just because there were no Joes on the shelves, no cartoon, or even a comic book at times.

4. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Watch Go-bots.

Always makes you appreciate Transformers :D 

5. Aurora Bluewolf

Aurora Bluewolf Aurora Bluewolf

Try to stay with it. It's a great series and who knows? we might get some form of Animated back after the movie. apparently it was meant to keep us entertained while they made ROTF, so they were going to ax it from the beginning. With that said, it turned out to be GREAT. Fans loved it (majority wise) so they may end up rethinking the complete cancellation of TFA. CN has had their ears chewed off from some very pissed off fans- and correct me if i'm wrong, but i believe Hasbro has the toy rights and CN has the production rights. Really it s a flip of a coin for now (my guess is they will have to rethink if fans are rallying- it's NEVER a good sign to a network to get that many complaints).

As for the kibble... well, it is a live action movie and they are differently built than our old favs. Just ignore it and don't buy them if you don't like them. You have other things your money can be spent on.

If you really love transformers like when you were younger, don't let the bumps in the road get you down. Ignore them and move on. it will get better... and if not, bombard your choice of feedback board with annoying complaints! that makes me feel better!

6. Sprocket

Sprocket Problematic.

News Credits:
    I'm a fan of fiction first, toys second. After five years of the terrible Unicron Trilogy, anything even slightly better would be seen as fantastic, which is how I saw the movie, but Animated took things to a whole other level altogether. A sequel doesn't quite generate the same level of excitement that a brand spanking new movie does, to me at least. And after only one and a half years, we have to say good bye to this universe completely, save maybe for an Animated comic included in a Botcon program that'll be so terribly written I won't be able to look at it without being disgusted? Animated deserves better.

I couldn't care less about toys of characters we've already seen: It won't bring the universe of Animated back: not in any way I'd want it to be, anyway. Dangling the toys in front of us strikes me as a move to placate all the fans that would feel burned at Animated being over otherwise, and that strikes me as a distraction.

And Universe? I never watched G1 as a kid, and it's got no fiction worthwhile attached to it, so I couldn't care less if the line lived or died.

You can understand then, coming from that position, that this was a very sobering Botcon, news wise.

(Oh god, I hope to all that's holy Fun Pub never, ever tries to tackle the Animated universe. It's too horrible to think about.)

7. megatron784

megatron784 Well-Known Member

im fairly new to collecting TF's and it feels overwhelming to me considering how many TF's there are that i want and considering the price of what TF's cost, i cant emagine you being bored or tired of them. to me they are very exciting and i want so many. ive been a gijoe collector for a long time now and i guess i can relate to you in the sense i think the new movie toys are garbage, im all about my vintage joes and have a nice collection and got bored but am still a hardcore fan but decided i would also like to get into transformers so thats what im doing, mabe try getting into another toyline if your interested and that way you can take a break from TF's untill you feel the need to start collecting them again.

there are some very cool things coming out in stores like bruticus and superion, also perceptor and the insecticons, so thats something cool to look forward to. also the universe line will be back around soon enough, mabe start saving some money so when they hit retail again you can go all out and buy them all, or mabe go after some expensive TF's to add to the collection that are a bit more rare and hard to get. just some thoughts. anyway my best advice to you is to just be happy with what you do have and not with what you dont. i think collectors get caught up in buying everything thats new, that sometimes they forget to enjoy what they already have.

8. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Honestly? Your loss.

9. odeean

odeean Infiltrator

News Credits:
    There is so much to collect from the long history of Transformers that You will be able to find something to like.

I loved Animated too but I have kids, and from speaking to my son's friends I must say that Animated was a flop for them. My son goes to parties occasionally and I have to buy a present for the host. I am never allowed to get Transformers because the boys just don't like them. I think that Animated put a stigma on all Transformers, even Classics. That whole age group has been embarrassed off the product. Its a pity because we enjoy watching it together but the style is just not cool.

The movie counters this and although I hate the style it really helps the brand. Now that we have seen the toys that are still coming out from Animated and Universe this year I don't think there is too much of a problem (assuming its true).

10. Alex5

Alex5 No Broken

So, so true.

I'm amazed that people get so upset by the opinions of others, and the failure of some to accept we are all here for different things and that there is no harm in that. I guess toys really are serious business after all...

11. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

At least Hasbro having it's own network now gives them a second shot at getting kids again. Sort of like GI Joe had Sigma Six with really great 8" action figures but the 2.5" stuff and the cartoon were so bad that kids turned their backs on Sigma Six.

But GI Joe trudged on by going back to their collector fan base in the hopes that collectors had kids they would buy Joes for. Now with a live action film it looks like GI Joe might be a heavy weight contender again.

So even if kids didn't go crazy for Animated Transformers will find a way back to kids hearts at some point.

12. swampflight

swampflight Banned

Take me away..I dont mind..But ya gotta promise me..I'll be back in time...

When all else fails,dig out some of your collection thats sitting in bins or collecting dust,play with them a little,and you will remember WHY you started liking Transformers in the first place.

13. Sprocket

Sprocket Problematic.

News Credits:
    Well, like I said, some of us collect based solely on their appearances in fiction. Without compelling fiction, there's no incentive.

To sum it up:

Screw Universe. It's boring. Give me fiction, or give me death!

14. Star Cracker

Star Cracker Well-Known Member

You're aware that a great deal of Universe has some Transformers based off their IDW designs, right? Sunstreaker, Sideswipe, and Prowl are perhaps the easiest to see influences in. So, there is a fictional component there, though I suppose your preferences lie more in a line that's completely rooted in the "current" universes (i.e. movie line and animated line, since those two are the most current).

While true that Universe picks from the "current" IDW comics, it does has some new designs based off of no fiction, while others are "pick and choose" from past continuities. In that regard, I can sympathize.

15. Sprocket

Sprocket Problematic.

News Credits:
    G1 is the past, they weren't IDW designs until the execrable All Hail Megatron series, and yes, I'm more interested in current lines, although I don't mind Beast Wars when it's done well, and IDW's Beast Wars comics were definitely NOT done well.

16. SlyTF

SlyTF Banned

ya, my friends dont like any of the cartoons, they only saw 1 episode of animated and said "Hey I dont like this show" I told them go watch another episode! and im pretty sure they never did...

17. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I just GROK Transformers! No faith required, but I do believe in my love for Transformers. :lol 

18. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Actually, G1 is forever :thumbs2: 

And so's Beast Wars, and Rid, and whatever all the other series were called as well. Just because they're not Hasbro's current marketing focus, doesn't mean they can't have the odd toy (or comic) released for them.

19. ginrai

ginrai lost with no way home.

well the whole reason one posts on a forum is to interact with others who share similar interests.. I wouldn't be on TFW (and I've been a member for about 9 years..through all of the incarnations).. if I didn't want to talk to fans.. But I doubt at this point if I would ever go to any conventions or anything related to transformers.. They seem so much more commercial and " I have this and you don't nyah nyah " than they used to be back 8 or 9 years ago...

But I'm mostly in it for the product at this point.. or rather will be when product I want comes back.. I think I went from spending $1200-$1500 a year on transformers to spending about $100-$200.

20. Sprocket

Sprocket Problematic.

News Credits:
    G1 may be forever, but it's hardly compelling without new fiction to back it up, at least for me. And considering all we really have right now is 'All Hail Megatron', well...I'd rather stick with Animated.