Customs: Restoration Question

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by RyakinX, Nov 7, 2007.

1. RyakinX

RyakinX Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

New kid on the block here, I'm attempting my first restoration, just happens to be a Blaster. The previous owner kinda went crazy with some random stickers, so it has sticker residue all over it. Now I've been researching in the threads how to restore transformers for the past few weeks before I get started, and everybody says 91% rubbing alcohol to clean transformers. I have extensive experience with using this to clean electronics and such, but every time I've used it, it has left a white haze or film behind. How do you deal with this left over from the rubbing alcohol.

Thanks for your help guys

2. Delta Star

Delta Star <b>Reprolabels.com</b> TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I've never witnessed this effect myself.

3. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Try lighter fluid. I've used Delta's Reprolabels on a LOT of TFs, and I've removed the original stickers from every single one of them using it. Gets the sticker residue off, and evaporates really quickly without leaving a mark on the toy at all.

4. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I always use goo-gone, it's a bit oily and messy, but it does the job. I usually wash the figure afterwards to get it and other dirt off.

5. RyakinX

Lighter fluid or goo-gone hmm didn't think of these thanks for the help guys

6. Delta Star

News Credits:
    I use Goo-gone too. Now THAT will cloud up your clear plastic. Keep Goo-gone away from clear plastic, painted plastic and chromed areas.

7. Thundercracker

Thundercracker Contemptuous

Never use rubbing alcohol on clear plastic. It will cause it to haze and become brittle. I've always used a bumper sticker remover solvent that can be found at automotive parts stores.

8. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    I use Isopropyl alcohol for it all. And it works everytime. Especially also when fiddling with PC hardware :D 
    [​IMG]

9. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

wd-40 works well also, same formula to goo gone I believe.

10. RyakinX

Question #2

I received the Blaster in Question the other day, and well the deficiency of photos on ebay did not show the swirl and use scratches in him. I would deem him unsalvagable except for maybe a few useful parts, but then I had a thought.

Has anybody had any success with wet sanding TF plastic with a really fine sand paper to get the swirl scratches out, and return a shine?

11. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

If you believe that all hope is lost, then it won't hurt to try.

12. Delta Star

News Credits:
    I don't understand... what is this swirl?

13. RyakinX

Go outside and shine a light on your car, you will see faint swirl scratches in your clear coat, these happen through washing and waxing they are almost unavoidable. These swirl scratches are removable by using a wax compound. Not just wax mind you, but a wax compound.

A wax compound is a gel or cream with REALLY fine ground up walnut shells in it, kinda like tooth paste. you use this compound to actually sand your clearcoat on your car all to the same level hence removing the swirl scratches.

Wet sanding will get the same effect, disclaimer " I WOULDN'T USE IT ON YOUR CLEARCOAT THOUGH" wet sanding uses really fine sandpaper and water to sand imperfections out of a surface. For example if you have just sprayed a custom and the paint job is real rought you can smooth it out with out having to strip and repaint the part.

I was wondering if anyone had tried this process on the plastic that TF's are made of to get it back to a smooth surface, thus restoring the appearance of the plastic.

14. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    You could try what I do to remove yellowing - sand with emery boards of increasingly finer grains and finish it off with the rubberized buffer to restore the shine.

I've never tried wet sanding.

15. RyakinX

Where would I find this rubberized buffer. Is it a common dremmel attachment I could find at Home Depot or Lowes, or do I need to go hobby store specific

16. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    No. I mean the rubberized emery board buffer. You can buy a variety pack of emery boards with different grains and the buffer at most stores for cheap (if you don't mind going into the makeup section).

You do the whole process just like you were doing fingernails. Apparently fingernails and plastic clean up and buff the same.

17. RyakinX

Ahhhhhaaa!! Here I am thinking like a guy

*grunts* Dremmel* More power ahahahahahahahaha

Seriously though thanks for the tip, the emery boards might be a bit more fined tuned then I was thinking. I will give them a try. Might even start with the buffer and see how that goes.

hmmmm go into the makeup section,....mabey I can get my wife,........ ah hell with it,.... charges in defiantly