Repro/Sticker: Restoration project: Star Saber & Victory Leo

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by SureShot90, Jan 12, 2010.

1. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    A little update.

I got to fix the internal elevator on the Saber figure.
    I got a junker figure but with intact elevator so now it all was just about torso surgery :) 
    [​IMG]

Donor part removed and ready for insertion.
    [​IMG]

And then to upen op the "healthy" patient.
    [​IMG]

Diagnose - missing elevator arms !! :p 
    [​IMG]

Donor part installed
    [​IMG]

Now one near 100% healthy patient :D 
    [​IMG]

2. SureShot90

Ebay:
    Got a pair of repro guns for Leo - big thanks to Darkov/Pete ! :thumb 
    [​IMG]
    They're great. I just had to widen the holes a bit with some sandpaper and then they fit perfectly.

Next step is probably giving them a bit of paint :) 
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. SureShot90

Ebay:
    So, yet another little update.

The project has expanded ! it's not going to involve one Victory Leo and one Star Saber !
    No ! it's going to be two of EACH !.

A second Victory Leo almost complete /w styrofoam arrived today. I placed my mintier Victory Leo in the styrofoam and using the other for display for now.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I gave the figure a hot bath with lots of soap to clean it up, and just a regular cleaning really does wonders on ol' dirty figures. Giving him the repro guns from Darkov really makes the figure shine up :) 
    [​IMG]

Like most Victory Leo this one suffers from colour fading (not sun discolouring) on the backpart (the other one I have doesn't).
    [​IMG]
    So the next step is that I'm going to reduce the discolouration effect as much as possible with some hydrogen peroxide solution.

The other Star Saber figure should arrive any day now. Then it's clean up time for that one also. When all figures are cleaned and repaired it's time to reprolabel them up !

4. bellyboy

bellyboy working working working

News Credits:
    nice progress

5. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I'm still envious . . . .

6. SureShot90

Ebay:
    Now the 2nd Star Saber arrived today. He has already gotten one clean up, but he'll get one more to touch up the white parts the best way I can. This example has some decent stickers so I don't wanna mess it up too badly.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also finally ... a brainmaster :) 
    [​IMG]

7. AutoCon2076

AutoCon2076 Brightest can in toolshed

Seein this thread really makes me wish I had my old Victory Sabre still. Yet I sold it back in '03 for about $600 to replace my Buick's Transmission. Then two weeks later the car gets hit by a drunk driver and totaled.

~Z

8. SureShot90

Ebay:
    So...the first of the Star Saber figures has reached the end of it's restoration is is about 99% done ! I'm still not sure whether to get reprolabels for it or not.
    This is the one the whole project started with.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I removed all the stickers on the main body except the one on the small wings since their condition was ok. Then I've cleaned dirty figures and the ones with mild discoloration I put clear glass container full of a hydrogen peroxide solution, then leaving it exposed to direct sunlight for varying lengths of time. This can in many cases reduce photodegradation largely or entirely restored to their original pigments. However it's more of a treatment than an actual cure. Because if exposed to direct sunlight or heavy smoking for extending periods it's back to zero again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The little Brainmaster figure was nearly all yellow so it got 3 treatments of hydrogen peroxide solution, and the result is very good it must admit. While not perfectly white it's like 1000x more white than it used to be.
    I haven't been able yet to find the sword or the gun for a respectable price so for now I settle with these as K.O parts. I may paint the gund black and chrome the blade.
    Else every other parts/accessories there are 100% original.

[​IMG]

Also I managed to get a box + insert for Star Saber on eBay !... price ? well let's just say I thought it was or joke or something when I saw what I got it for.....
    USD $20 !!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now one is nearly done... then there's just two more Star Sabers and two Victory Leo's :D 

9. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Send this to SQ7. He is the droid you're looking for.

If you can't tell, I'm very envious :) 

10. cowclone

cowclone I am lost..were am I?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    good luck man you don't need it thou it's looking good

11. ATLMYK

ATLMYK Well-Known Member

Sorry for necro'ing a 1 year old thread but it seems you have done something I am considering doing, a peroxide bath for my Star Saber, and Overlord. I have used this trick several times before on a few Jetfire's but I have a few concerns holding me back. I have heard a few stories about problems with 1987 transformers and the peroxide treatment. Both were produced afterwards and I was not sure if it was a 1987+ problem. My other concern was the effect on the gold plating on the tail section. Did you immerse that section with out any flaking issues or did you remove the pins to do the white tail fins separately? I really try to avoid hinge pin removal.

Comments from anyone with experience would be greatly appreciated.