Repro/Sticker: Restoration project: Star Saber & Victory Leo

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by SureShot90, Jan 12, 2010.

1. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    Hello all.
    Forgive me if it isn't the right place I put this thread, but I looked upon the different topics and thought this was probably the place to put it.

I never thought I would get any of these since they are so insanely expensive.
    However just up till Christmas an eBay seller made a small sale of his TransFormers figures and among them there was Star Saber and Victory Leo.
    Both figures in fair to good shape but both need some "restoring" and certainly som cleaning - so that's the objective of my project. To get both restored and completed - either with custom parts or original parts. As most probably know getting parts and accessories for these two is eeeeeextremly difficult.

Star Saber on sale for $80 instead of $120. Missing all accessories but being in a fair condition and not broken. The figure had some black ink markings on it. The robot doesn't have a working inner elevator so I have to replicate that somehow. Also no cockpit front so I have to look out for that one too on ebay.
    [​IMG]
    ^^ you can see some ink marks on the helmet and the arm parts on the main figure.

Victory Leo on sale for $90 instead of $130. All in all in a very nice shape and stickerless. The right leg securing mechanism had a broken tab, but luckily the tab was with the figure and needed a bit Loctite Super Attack super glue and some fine sandpaper. to fix up again.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ^^ a bit dirty here and there and really needed cleaning.

All in all not cheap, but certainly cheaper that what loose complete figures sell for both on eBay. I wasn't feeling like spending $800 for a complete loose set of both.

Hopefully I can find some replacement parts for him in the near future... whether fixing some K.O parts or not.

First thing to be done was giving them a hot bath and clean them with some rubbing alcohol :) 
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. SureShot90

Ebay:
    And now for repaing.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The little jet had some stressmarks and near cracks at the folding tailfins, so what had to be done was a small layer of Loctite superglue on the surface to strengthen it. Also super glue has this funny side effect that it reduces the noticable white stressmarks :cool:  - that great. Then to strengthen the "joints" and then with some sandpaper even the layer out when it's dryed. Later one some red paint will be used to "hide things"... I just need to find some red enamal paint.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then onto Victory Leo and reparing the broken locking mechanism. Same deal here with Loctite super blue and sandpaper.
    [​IMG]

Not noticable when hidden away and in use :) 
    [​IMG]

1st step in the project complete;
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2nd step;
    Will be getting the accessories and other parts needed to these figure. Either original or find K.O parts/accessories to customize.
    This will be the longest taking step... it's soooo difficult finding anything for these two guys.
    Still, I'm waiting for a junker jet to arrive to use it's brainmaster elevator mechanism so that will work on the figure.

Last step;
    This will be getting reprolabel stickers to shine both figures up when they're about 90% done :) 

3. ThinkTank Customs

ThinkTank Customs TFW2005-Citizen

News Credits:
    Very cool and very very hard and expensive Project! Good liuck for that!

But please add all the pics to your startup-posting please via upload-function (photobucked is so slow!), thank you :) 

4. SureShot90

Ebay:
    Thank you, I will do that asap :) 

5. ThinkTank Customs

ThinkTank Customs TFW2005-Citizen

News Credits:
    thx a lot :) 

6. Darkov

Darkov Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    PM'd you with a offer...

7. SureShot90

Ebay:
    And replied ;) 

8. AutoCon2076

AutoCon2076 Brightest can in toolshed

Good luck on your endeavor. I had both of these figures a few years ago, and they're quite badass. The Victory Sabre jet mode is effin huge; that thing is gonna look nice in your collection.

~Z

9. SureShot90

Ebay:
    Yea, I never imagined it to be that hughe ! I knew it was big, but damn :sly2: :bowdown: 

10. yourreflection

yourreflection Well-Known Member

Such an interesting project. I will certainly keep my eye on this one. I'm currently looking for both of these guys myself and your right - sometimes the prices for them can become a little steep.

I can't believe how white the white plastic parts became after you cleaned them with the hot water and alcohol treatment. I have some figures myself that I might try this one.

Not sure if this will help your task or not but you can get a K.O Star Saber here pretty cheap. You might be able to use a few of the parts for your repairs.

Best of luck to you.

11. SureShot90

Ebay:
    Thanks for the link, I'll have a look on that one :) 

Regarding my cleaning of the toys.
    What I did was the following. I made a hot "bath tub" with some active dishwasher powder that would clean up even in small areas where a brush couldn't get into. After that I cleaned the parts off in cold water. To get ink marks and other scuffed areas clean I used 80% rubbing alcohol and keept cleaning till it was all clean again on the specific areas.
    Since I'm going to "reprolabel" them up I didn't care for the stickers :) 

12. biscuits

biscuits Sin from Genesis

is it a good quality K.O? looks interesting.........

13. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I am quite envious I must say. You're in the right place, and thanks for sharing! So far, everything is looking great. I know you'll be excited when this is complete! Best of wishes on your restoration endeavors :thumb 

14. David

David . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    You could always use parts from a knock off star saber. Just an idea.

15. yourreflection

Hey Biscuits, I don't quite know the quality of this particular K.O but I just ordered a set myself so I'll let you know the quality when I find out.

16. SureShot90

Ebay:
    Yes I have stated I will use that if I can't find something original or custom parts.

I've got hocked up with a pair of custom Leo Victory shoulder cannon which I'm really looking forward to get. :) 

17. Darkov

Darkov Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Those shipped today:) 

18. SureShot90

Ebay:
    Super thank you :D 

19. yourreflection

Hey SureShot,

That KO that I mentioned a few pages back just came in and the plastic is actually very thick and sturdy on it. I'd consider it a very high quality KO. Just giving you a heads up in case you decide that route. All the best to you.

20. SureShot90

Ebay:
    Thank you very much for sharing the info ! I may very well purchase this too just to get the front red jet part and the sword and gun :)