Restoration: Cleaning vintage figures & dealing with annoying rusted/rotten screws?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by mrclean08, May 20, 2012.

1. mrclean08

mrclean08 G1 FOR LIFE

I'm in the process of cleaning and restoring my G1 Fort Max. I decided to fully disassemble everything and give it a thorough cleaning. All was going well until I got to the main body parts where I noticed some of the screws were so rusted, and that their screw heads were beyond disintegrated. I am now unable to proceed.

There is one body screw that I need to remove to remove the main body halves, but I am challenged on how to remove it. Have any of you experienced rusted / rotten screws when restoring your vintage Transformers and were you able to remove them? Can Coke/Pepsi remove rotten screws? Would it harm the plastic?

2. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    The Pepsi would make it sticky and you'll have to further clean that off as well. Maybe replace the screws? Take the originals out and take them to a DIY store and inquire about sizes etc.

3. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    The old myth is that soda dissolves the screw, so I wouldn't try that. I've found that if you get the biggest straight head that will fit in the screw, and use the kind that attaches to a drill, press it in really hard and hold as you squeeze the trigger, that's the best way to remove it. If you use a four way screwdriver, it'll strip the screw.

4. mrclean08

mrclean08 G1 FOR LIFE

The head is completely stripped. I used a flashlight to look inside the screw hole, and the top of the screw head looks like a mash of rust. So saving the screw is not an option. I just want to know how I can get it out completely.

(Luckily the placement of the screw isn't critical to keep the main body halves together, so I can live with missing this one screw.)

5. jono83

jono83 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    If you own a dremel you could use a pointed grinding bit to grind the head of the screw off, i had had success with this method in the past.