Restock of an Earlier Wave at Target/WM

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Quixote_Prime, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Quixote_Prime

Quixote_Prime is missed.

News Credits:
    I'm interested in hearing from folk who watch their local retail closely. Have you seen your local Target (etc) restock Generations (or other line) with an earlier wave than the current one? For instance, I just saw a restock of wave 5, revision 1 (Thunderwing/CJ) after the same Target sold out of two cases each of wave 6 and its revision (Scourge/Kup). Is this a usual practice? The Target manager I know confirmed that the case came in from distribution. He knew it was a previous wave and thought it very odd not to get in another wave 6 unless a) wave 7 wasn't available b) wave 7 will never be ordered by Target or c) this previous case was languishing at distribution.

I'm not really interested in hearing about TRU since they seem to restock haphazardly and since Target is a bellweather for distribution of Generations and these valuable last two waves (TCracker, WJack, and Warpath).

2. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I really all depends on what the distribution center ships out to the stores. All of the Generations/RTS/HFTD figures have a specific DPCI (DCPI?) number, which I'm assuming is as closely as Target tracks it. When a store needs more "Generations" figures, the order goes to the Distribution center who goes and pulls out a box or two that has the same DPCI number and ships it to the store. The box could save wave 1, it could say wave 7.

Walmart does appear to scan things via the UPC code (at least from the customer's perspective), but that could just roll up to some walmart equivilent to a DPCI number that they use internally for ordering and stocking purposes.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
  3. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    There's gonna be waves beyond TC/WJ/WP. Generations is going to be around through the rest of the year.

4. jerminator

jerminator Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Sounds like my local WalMart. They finally restocked the deluxe shelves..and here I was getting all giddy as I saw the toy aisle.. Lo and behold, it was Wave 1 of HFTD!!!!! Imagine my disdain. No RtS and no Generations!

5. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    Wave 5 stuff come with the DOTM Preview display. My Wal-Mart sold out of the preview figures then moved the remaining deluxes to the Generations pegs. They look full, at least.

6. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    The exact same thing happened at my closest Wally's as well.

As far as Target, sometimes they put older stock out. About two of them I remember a couple of times they had sold out of Wave 4, and Wave one showed back up on the shelves. But that is rare thing. They usually are on top of the most current waves.

7. Whovian Zorker

Whovian Zorker Well-Known Member

I vaguely remember reading in a thread not too long ago that sources were unclear as to whether Generations would be uninterrupted through the rest of the year, or go on hiatus and return at some point after the movie. (Especially if retailers are demanding the movie-related line and have no interest in continuing the ancient :rolleyes2  Generations line.)

There was no overlap of figures (other than redecos) between Classic and Universe II, or between Universe II and Generations. My theory would be that they would switch to new figures (or redecos so that they can reuse molds) after such a hiatus. So maybe Sunstorm from the seeker mold, Hardhead from Warpath, Black Shadow from Thunderwing, and Leozack from Scourge.

Well, maybe not those specific characters. But if they repurpose the production equipment to other figures for a while, it shouldn't be much more difficult to to put new redecos in place instead of the old ones, and the new redecos (which nobody has bought) have a larger potential market.

8. xion14

xion14 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My Walmart Restocked the Shelves after they got empty 2 weeks ago. But it was restocked withe the HFTD Repaints, Ironhide, Hailstorm, and all of Generations before Kup/Scourge. All the specific figures from the lines I wanted weren't there. I wonder how much those really sell.

9. BenjaminXavier

BenjaminXavier Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There are also frequently revision cases that have older figs in them too.

10. NCStarscream

NCStarscream Me Grimlock cute

News Credits:
    I see it happen all the time at every major retail store I visit, across all Hasbro lines I collect.

11. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    Considering my retail stores don't even get the new waves, they're technically not restocking their old stuff.

12. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    Restocks happen all the time... No biggie.

13. 420bot

420bot ******

My Target also recently restocked with old figures, and Walmart quickly took down the DOTM preview display as it had been up for almost ten days (LOL).
    They've still got tons of DOTM Preview Primes, so they shuffled them back into the over stuffed with old crap toy aisle.
    Where I live there's no way in hell any stores will be getting any new figures that aren't DOTM, my Walmart would probably send RTS wave 2 back to Hasbro if they get them in May 16th with the DOTM toys or whatever. RTS and Gens. are nothing but old shelf warmer lines to these stores. They want movie toys that will sell, funny thing is I won't be buying very many DOTM toys.

14. It Is Him

It Is Him Well-Known Member

This is what I suspect happens. The distributor for Target and Wal-mart both function on a Last In/First Out basis. This means that once the toys arrive from the factories, they sit around until stores need them, at which point the distributor sends out the latest case.

In this situation, the distributor likely sent out all of Wave 6, and is now going back to sending out Wave 5. Once Wave 7 and Wave 8 arrive at the distributor, they'll start sending those out, too.