Customs: Resource report : Skeleflex

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by destrongerlupus, Dec 10, 2008.

1. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    Just a quicky report on the Skeleflex construction system as a potential kitbash resource.

I'd been eyeballing these since they first started showing up, as they looked to be big buckets of ball-joints, but waited until TRU had the basic sets clearanced to 6 bucks the other day.

In brief, it's a GREAT deal on small-ish balls and sockets. Usable for all sorts of basic/deluxe scale projects, the tolerances seem to be pretty good, and you get a TON of joints, every single piece (more or less) is a ball-and-socket pairing, which is a much better ratio than you're going to get in Bionicle or Megablock sets. Lots more trimming required, but the plastic feels pretty soft, so that's probably not a big limitation.

The actual "flex" joints which the website and packaging touts so heavily are USELESS. Basically they're soft-rubber B&S pieces with a ribbed piece between the two ends. You can attach it between any two pieces, but there's zero useful range of movement from that connection. The ostensible idea is that the ribbed center has a tendency to bounce a bit, giving the piece(s) connected to it a bit of "life-like" movement, but it's totally laughable.

The BIG set which features motorized elements may make better use of these pieces, the demo-unit in the store was actually mighty cool.

All in all though, BRILLIANT scavenge-part resource, and now nice and cheap, much like Xevoz were during their death-throws (How many dozens of sets of those do you all have? ;)  )

D/L

2. JinSaotome

JinSaotome Banned

Ebay:
    Good looking out! I picked up the aliens because of their silverish color to better match future customs.

3. Bruticus82

Bruticus82 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the product review! Always nice to learn about new cheap sources of ball joints.

4. asphalt

asphalt King of the road

Ebay:
    Ok I see what they are talking about, do there is a range of movement in the bone joints though right? the flex joints are a bit odd, almost like all of the joints are supposed to be pull back attack pieces.

5. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    Yes, every single piece (with one or two odd exceptions, maybe, don't have all the kits ;) ) is a very nice and fully serviceable ball and socket pairing, so the whole kit is totally composed of pose'able joints.

If anything the "flex" joints have a more limited range of movement. They arguably more "life like" which is I guess what the designers were going for. But there's only like 4 of those to each pack and dozens of the good B&S's in each kit :) 

D/L

6. project9

project9 White n' Nerdy

Thanks for the tip! You walk by these things but never really notice them until they have that pretty red tag in front of them. =)

I grabbed a Stegosaurus kit. It has about 20 pairs not including the arms & legs. Not bad for $6-7 and should last a while.