Resident Evil 4 (ps2)

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by smangerbot, Feb 6, 2006.

1. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

ok, let me start by saying that i thought there might already be a thread about this, so i searched the forum for "resident evil" but jack came up.

so, i was sceptical at the lack of real zombies, so i've put off buying this game for months. i've played it for 4 hours so far. now, i'm loving it. hooked. the graphics are awesome, i forgot i was playing my ps2.

its a challenging game, i have to do each area a few times, but its not impossible. those chainsaw mofos are bastards.

the "zombies" really remind me of the others from lost too. so far i've reached the big bearded guy boss person who you fight in the shed. he keeps squashing me.

2. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I don't have it yet but I'm really anxious to at some point. Thing is, I haven't played any of the others so I'm not sure if I should go back and get those first or not.

3. smangerbot

well the original ps1 games are old now, and they show their age. re2 is the best if you decide to go back up vintage lane :) 

4. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

*wards off the pro-Nintendo naysayers with garlic and holy water*

Please continue.

5. smangerbot

lol! i never played the gc ones. they any good?

6. McBradders

They're ok, but I am sure someone is just waiting to get in here to tell you that playing it on the PS2 is wrong and that the Gamecube one is soooo much better looking, and that your PS2 will explode before you can finish it.

Personally I got bored with it on the Gamecube. Not because of the Gamecube, just because I got bored. It's no Resident Evil 2, that's for sure.

7. smangerbot

re2 kicked ass. 3 was, well i dont even remember it. so far i'm loving this one. and im sure you'll agree that a good game graphics do not make.

8. McBradders

My company would beg to differ.

Did I just say that?

EEEEEEEEEEEEeeeEEeeep!

9. smangerbot

hehe

10. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

i actually liked RE4....with RE5 taking the same style (widescreen), i cant wait for that one too....

11. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    RE4 really picks up in the last 1/4 of the game. Some really great story elements revealed there. I thought I was going to really hate RE4, but turned out loving it. I was sooo tired of the same stuff over and over with RE3, RE Code Veronica, and Outbreak. I thought RE was basically dead in the water. RE4 brought somethign different to the table. It was pretty refreshing.

12. smangerbot

thats what im thinking so far. i really like it.

13. Prowl2000

Prowl2000 Keep it sealed TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I picked it up last week for the Cube for 19.99. It was a game that I was interested in because it got such great reviews. I played a little of it over the weekend and its pretty cool. I've only played most of RE and part of RE3. I like the change in the camera angel, though I think they could have done more with this. I would also like to be able to save when I want during game play. Basically, I made it to the first save point and then the first guy with the chain saw took off my head... Bastard!

14. thefrozenred

thefrozenred 4 8 15 16 23 42

Ebay:
    It was a fun game until you realized that your survival, essentially, hinged on buying and upgrading better guns. Then I started to get bored when I realized that each enemy encounter was essentially identical to the previous one.

It's an action game, that's for sure, but horror? I'd leave that honor to the Silent Hill series. I was scared, say, twice during RE4. Compared to the countless times in Silent Hill 2, RE4 just can't compete in the horror department.

15. Napjr

Napjr <b><font color=gold>Mr. Internet</font><br><font c Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    RE (remake included) & RE2 (RE3 too), were pretty scary on their time, but well, you need to survive the horrors the characters are seeing :p 

however, i think SH more than Survival Horror, is more like, survival psycological horror ;) 

One thing i like for all the RE franchise (and SH too), other than the action, its the deep story of every game, for RE its great to find all the files and know more about the whole story, and for SH, same deal but to find why that nightmare ishappening

16. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    RE4 is one of my favorite games to come out in the last few years. It's the only game I've ever bought on it's launch date. And while the game didn't have the "these kids don't have heads" or "why won't the walls stop bleeding?" scenes, it still had many shit your self moments. The only downside to the game was the lack luster final boss battle. But I loved the weapons(the mine thrower is a hilarious weapon to use on a second play through), characters, enemies, etc. And personaly, I never found it boring, the change in game play, setting and enemies always kept me chugging along until I finished it in three days.

17. jet convoy

jet convoy Beast Wars Forever!!!

I love this game. It has become my 4th favorite game ever, right after the three Metal Gear Solid games.

Still haven't finished it though and I haven't played it in like 2 weeks. I blame fucking night school which don't allow me to play during the week for long, and having to do Community Service hours on the weekend, resulting in me being to tired to play video games most of the time.

18. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I need to get back and play it.

Picked it up on the GC when it came out (after a high recommendation from my old flatmate) and enjoyed it.
    Just some other things came up and never picked it up again.

19. smangerbot

played it last night, still stuck on that big bearded guy. i seem to have very little ammo...

20. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

Once you've used the Rocket Launcher on him (make sure you *always* have a useable Rocket Launcher available) he turns into a sort of a spider like creature, and will climb around on the rafters of the barn.

You basically need to keep shooting him with one of the more heavy duty guns, the standard pistol is no good at all. He's not that tough, but is releatively quick. So, the main thing is simply being quick enough to catch him when he comes into range....

I think i might have thought ' Yuck' once or twice and that's about it No it's no scary. In fact the Illuminados are almost comedic, all i could think was 'We are the Spanish inquisition.'

The version of RE4 that was first planned, stood to be a bit more scary in that Leon was infected very early on and it was set in Umbrella headquarters, where he was trying to find
    the cure.

As he got more and more sick, he starts to hallucinate more...... it had a very claustrophobic look about it.

Capcom may have decied that that the open plan village style was a lot prettier to look at.

Looking forward to RE5, hope it doesn't have that bothersome buddy system in it.