Rescue Ratchet...not bad. Not bad at all.

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by mpchi, Sep 9, 2007.

1. mpchi

mpchi Well-Known Member

While failed miserably finding this guy locally, I managed to snatch one on ebay at original price plus shipping. Added a rough dirt wash, this Rescue Ratchet turned out pretty sweet. In terms of the figure, its a great voyager class design. No tricky bits on transformation and easy to remember. The robot while pretty chunky, is very poseable. I was skeptical when people mentioned this, but I finally see it for myself. He can pose very well, and excellent balance in moderate poses. The cockpit is a bit flimpsy in vehicle mode, but not super bad. Another good one from the TF Movie bunch.

However, when it comes to QC, man...its terrible on the one I got. Both upper arm swivel is super loose. Loose right hip joint, as well as right knee. That knee doesn't even ratchet like the left. Also half of the rear bumper piece is also very loose. Seems like there is a lot of issue in parts fitment. Not to mentioned a badly glued rear mirror on one side. Thanks Hasbro. Great work right there! Luckily, almost all those pieces can be easily disassembled and fixed. Now its a lot more solid. So bottom line, great figure, bad QC.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hissatsu! Ratchet KIIIIIIIIICK!!! :lol 

[​IMG]

2. Armorhide

Armorhide Damn kids

nice

3. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yours looks nice, but to me overall the color scheme is horrid. Mostly because I've never seen a hummer painted red and white used as a rescue vehicle with ambulance painted all over it, plus the word "ambulance" isn't written backwards on the hood. If they had left him as a fire rescue vehicle, just in a red scehem and then more white in alt mode it'd be alright but... I dunno, the "OMG G1" repaints in the movie line just aren't doin' it for me.

4. TCracker

TCracker おもちゃは今とても暑いです

News Credits:
    Nice paint wash there, you gotta teach me how....

5. mpchi

mpchi Well-Known Member

True. The whole G1 repaints doesn't make a lot of sense in some cases. Though if I have to pick and choose either white or neon green, I'll have to pick the lesser bad. :lol  A red fire department version with white accent does sound good.

6. mpchi

mpchi Well-Known Member

Pretty easy, especially on this guy. Just use some flat black enamel paint (dark grey on my white ratchet), thin it out with enamel thinner with about 1 part paint, 2 part thinner. Then just brush the really thin paint all over the figure, especially on the sculpted details, similar to doing panel lines on plastic model kits. If you want it to look less dirty, put less or no paint on the flat panels areas. Then let dry. Later on, then use Q-tip and paper towel, dip a little bit of thinner, and smudge on all areas to smudge off paint you don't want to stay, until the way you like it. Then let dry. If you want it to look more metal-like, get a silver paint marker and lightly add some silver highlight on mechanical bits and panel edges, to give it some worn metal look. Thats it. May take you a few hours, but not much skills needed really.

7. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Well the original shade of green wasn't quite right, but it's still a fairly common fire department vehicle color, it's high visibility and differentiates it from a neighboring town.

The wash still looks nice though. Kinda gives a white robot a dirty look to it like it actually kicks some ass or something.

8. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Well, while it is red and white, I'm not so sure Rescue Ratchet is actually meant to be a direct G1 homage.

Have a look while roaring around town in the video game. There's emergency hummers painted JUST like Rescue Ratchet that show up quite often.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2007
  9. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I can't wait to find this locally. Ratchet ended up being my favorite of all the voyagers and I figured he would be my least favorite when I first saw all of the pics online. This new color scheme just looks better and better everytime I see pics!

10. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    Yeah, mine had really loose arms. Also there's the automorph problem.

But looks-wise he's solid.

11. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I find it a bit humorous that the bio lists the red and white scheme as seeming more 'natural' to Ratchet.

12. Optimus

Optimus Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Wow, that looks great with the wash.

Although I'm still not sold on the paintjob.

13. gargunkle

gargunkle someone

While I do not really care for the mold, I think this one looks a lot better than the bright green.

14. Otispq

Otispq Elocution Onymous

News Credits:
    Wasn't really gonna buy the repaint, with the original sitting here, but the wash you put on him really makes him look good, and it sounds pretty easy to do, so now I gotta rethink comin...

15. ease

ease HIPHOPTIMUS PRIME

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was planning to pick one up at some point in the future,but with the way you made him look, i'll have to get one a little sooner. Great job.i likes.

16. mpchi

mpchi Well-Known Member

Thanks for the compliments. Here is a minor update, with more silver highlights. Not super obvious on the pics. But does add a lot of metal feel in person and made the plastic more reflective.

Before.

[​IMG]

After.

[​IMG]

Not too bad for a 30 minute touch up with a silver marker.

17. thoughtcrime

thoughtcrime Well-Known Member

Yours looks really good, and the red & white scheme is vastly superior to the eye-hating green. Still, I'd rather skip him and wait for a proper Classics Ratchet.

18. World Prime

World Prime Za Warudo!

Ebay:
    Agreed! He looks better than ever with that wash!

19. KYQ

KYQ The MSG Man

Ironically, count me in the 'looks weird in G1 colours' camp. I too, had no real problems with Movie Ratchet as he was, with exception of the sheer lack of paint apps on the original.

When I saw pics of Rescue Ratchet, I wasn't impressed initially. I was okay with the vehicle mode, but the movie face looks GHASTLY in red/white/silver, like a baboon's face turned inside out.

It was because I had the idea of doing my Ratchet custom, did I decide to get him, and for the first time, experience what a great mold this was :D .