rescue ratchet help

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Squawktalk, Dec 17, 2010.

1. Squawktalk

Squawktalk Light cyclist

News Credits:
    Ok, so i finally decided to get a ratchet toy. I picked the deluxe rescue ratchet because i do not like the universe mold or the g1 for that matter, but i still wanted a G1-esque color scheme.

Anyway. In transforming him to bot mode, his right hip panel is breaking. It doesn't like to let the double hinge work. The part with the wheel will fold back fine but the other hinge is causing the hip panel to break at the tiny tab..

Is there anything i can do to prevent it from breaking further?

2. Jlogano20

Jlogano20 Speed Gunner

News Credits:
    the first yellow deluxe litteraly fell apart there as i opened it and u can't just bend it right around u kinda have to push it a Little then around don't really know how to explain

3. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    There's a certain way to fold it when going from vehicle to robot which doesn't damage it, but going back to alt is a bit harder (or is it the other way around?). Dunno if there's a trick to doing that bit. I'm just extremely careful with mine but I am intending to try and file down something somewhere on that place to keep things safe, which is probably the best you can do to try and limit any further damage.

4. Maetel

Maetel Well-Known Member

wow i thought that defect was just a misassembly on mine, didn't know it was common on that mold, i ended up using hot knife to melt away the edge plastic on hinge that's supposed to fold flush, without that trimming i was afraid i might crack the hinge or something if i tried to brute force it. and the tiny tab broke on mine too, good thing it doesn't affect vehicle mode much.

5. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

The same thing happened when I got the original Deluxe Ratchet.I didn't realize it was cracking until the plastic tab snapped off.

6. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Luckily for me I'm pretty OCD so when I get a new figure I'm extremely careful with every part the first time I transform it and then check all the joints and hinges and stuff to make sure nothing is stressed or cracked or damaged in any way. Considering the iffy QC of the last few years I'd rather do the checks soon after opening than find stuff broken a few months down the line and wonder if it was me that did it or it was like that right out of the packaging. I find it's always useful to know which joints or hinges to be extra careful with when manipulating that could be problems if not handled a certain way, such as the hinges that are the subject of this thread.

One thing I have noticed with the last six months or so of figures is the metal pins have been getting more shoddy. If it's not pins stressing or breaking a joint, then they're not inserted all the way in or inserted at a wonky angle, pins too short (only filling part of the joint so one part is unsupported by the pin) or, and this is what I've noticed more and more the last few waves, the pins are cut very roughly. I've cut my finger a couple of times on a pointy poke of pin sticking above the level of the plastic while transforming something.

7. G1_Cindersaur

G1_Cindersaur Banned

News Credits:
    my first ratchet broke ..did not care since i bought him to give his gun to lockdown.

i have a rescue ratchet but have not transformed him due to that hinge issue...i got a 2nd rescue ratchet but ended up putting him up on ebay since i got tired of looking at sea monkey puke colored transformers....

8. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

The hinges are a bit tricky to move without stressing r breaking them but it can be done and once you know the trick its simple but its really hard to describe as mentioned try videos on youtube. Personally i think the voyager Ratchet mold is really nice even though its not screen accurate.

9. NCStarscream

NCStarscream Me Grimlock cute

News Credits:
    I had this issue as well. I filed down the corner of the small square panel that links the two larger panels that fold together and that fixed the problem.

10. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    Those tabs won't snap if you mess around with the hinge. It gives you the clearance if you try to make a "V" until the tab has enough room to fold away. Though I kind of like leaveing those panels unfolded like Samurai waist Armor. Just because the legs are almost to long.

Since the mold is new to you: a cool hidden feature is that the white bumper on the front can be pulled down, causeing a automorph of the blue grill bits.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2010