Customs: Rescue Ratchet Automorph Failure & How to Fix

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Sidecutter, Sep 2, 2007.

1. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Alright, I probably won't try to provide pictures here, since this is a fairly easy issue.

Essentially, the way the leg panels fold out is such:

Kneecap rotates forward. A projection on the kneecap pushes out the top/larger leg armor panel. The bottom edge of this panel pushes out the top of the bottom/small panel, causing the bi-angle look of the armor. When you fold the foot, and it draws the kneecap back into vehicle mode placement, the pressing tab on the kneecap lets go, and a spring inside the bottom/small panel pulls it back in. The top of the bottom/small panel, of course, pulls the lower end of the larger panel back into place as a result.

The problem with non-functional pieces seems to be a bit of sprue on the edge of the small panel. It rubs against the side of the cavity the panels fit into on the leg, and causes the panel to exert too much friction for the spring or tab to overcome. As a result, when the kneecap tab presses, the panels refuse to push out, and/or when the spring pulls them in, they won't go because the spring can't pull hard enough.

Solution is fairly simple. Lift the top edge of the bottom/small armor plate away from the larger plate with a thin tool, being careful not to harm the paint on either. Carefully pry the bottom/small plate out of the leg (it's just got little pivot-nubs that secure it, nothing major). Pull the plate away from the leg a little, being VERY careful not to overstretch the spring. If you overstretch it, it will fail to be strong enough to pull the plate in even after fixing it. Check the edges for sprue remains or flash, and carefully trim them flush, being very careful NOT to cut away the two intentional nubs that hold the plate in the leg. Then, reinstall the plate, and the gimmick should work perfectly.

2. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    :useless 

:p 

I hope mine doesn't have that problem.

3. Sidecutter

News Credits:
    Not so useless, I think. The problem is a simple one. I dismantled mine to help figure out the problem, but taking apart the legs isn't necessary at all.

4. TENIME_art

TENIME_art Ethically Challenged

Ebay:
    Me either. If I can ever find him. :( 

And, what he means is, not all of us are as engineer-minded as some of the others on the boards, and pictures would help immensely.

5. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I agree this thread needs pics. I'm pretty engineer-minded and I had trouble understanding the worded explanation.

6. Sidecutter

News Credits:
    I'll see what I can do. The problem is, it's hard to show a burr that no longer exists.

7. jazzman_78

jazzman_78 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I think people want to see the parts in question. A lot of people can't visualize things so easily, so even though we know how Ratchet's leg works, we don't know why. So, pics help clear things up.

8. viper2391

viper2391 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is what I don't like about automorph feature... I wish they could just do away with it.