Rescue Bots Academy trailer

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Michael Payton, Apr 6, 2018.

1. jasonw

jasonw Well-Known Member

My two kids watch Rescue Bots. They thought Optimus looked weird & sounded funny, and Heatwave looked odd.

Me? I can appreciate the quality of Union voiceover artists, not cheapass replacements.

As for it being a toddlers show, I’d argue it’s the best quality Transforners cartoon since Beast Wars, and even though I was t a fan, Animated.

2. jasonw

jasonw Well-Known Member

And there’s the problem, it’s an el-cheapo cost cutting excercise. Doesn’t bode well for the series & anyone who thinks they can do Prime better than Cullen is delusional.

This is at the heart of Hasbro’s problem, they want to be a studio, but it’s run by toy marketeers. Imagine Disney doing this. No chance.

3. BigRed

BigRed Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Uh. Yeah? Because they actualy have?

Disney has no shortage of "nobody is irreplaceable". And on much higher levels of disdain than actors like entire writing staffs being turned around for no reason other than an executive liking someone's face better. Disney doesn't need to cut costs.

Besides, it's only on the voice level that things are being down-graded. The actual art style is better with much more dynamic faces and shapes. The actual vehicle animation and puppet-assets are obviously superior too, just look at how Heatwave's nodding actualy looks like a angle-shift while in RB often people's skulls would only slide and rotate awkwardly instead. I'd venture the guess that the show has honestly the same budget as the old one, just that more of it is going into a superior animation studio than into the voice work.

4. Deadend

Deadend Overloaded Spark

News Credits:
    It does, and they were some awesome VAs, but there are also other benefits to this that could pay out in the long run for the non-Union approach.
    While typically I tend to prefer supporting the VA/Actors/Screen Writers/Directors unions, there are certain things for this that non-Union was needed. Which depending on how season 1 goes, we'll see why with season 2. It wasn't a random decision made solely because of money etc. It was a decision made because of how it opens up possibilities on different kinds of voice cameos that can be done that couldn't be done otherwise without an excess amount of paperwork. Cyberverse afaik is still union based though, and many of those may still cameo over there as guest voices as they are able to if roles allow it.

Non-union on the other hand for Academy opens the door to let more fandom based cameos become a possibility, and also opens the doors for other types of contests for kids, but also at a professional enough level that it'll still feel appropriate for the show. So for example, while Burton can't voice cameo, his daughter likely could depending on her RT contract. Don't think she's signed to a VA union as yet. But that's only an example. And tbh, it really wouldn't be hard to do the excess paperwork needed for the other potential possibilities, but then it does become more cumbersome. Streamlining it made more sense to open that up some in an area where it was possible to unlike Cyberverse which is too 'flagship' to do that with.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Anthony Hopkins with a submachine gun. 'Nuff said!

Finally got around to seeing this and honestly, after Rescue Bots was far better than expected, this might be just as good. I like how the "new" crew are all homages to older characters in various ways (Hot Shot is very Armada with the upper body and colors, we haven't seen a Wedge since RID and he nails the colors, and Hoist is pretty much RID Towline in alt. mode and colors, but a closer look at the robot shows he actually bears an uncanny resemblance to Kup!) - Medix and Whirl being the two exceptions, but original characters mixed with homages is never a bad thing, especially since dedicated medic Autobots are rare enough and Whirl being literally anything except the insane psychopath that is IDW Whirl allows the name to escape typecasting (ironically, by the same measure, RBA Whirl actually follows RB Blades as being the helicopter member of the team whose immediate namesake is actually a ridiculously violent individual).

Not sure why people are totally up in arms over the whole voice actor situation - giving somebody new a shot at being the big OP in a series where Prime isn't going to play a big role sounds like a dream come true for the guy they got, the only returning character thus far is Heatwave and Cody (and Cody is also older so he wouldn't have the same VA anyway), and everybody else is brand new. I'd rather have new voices as opposed to what happened at least between Armada and Energon when you had the same people doing the same voice for different characters (I.E. Armada Carlos and Energon Ironhide).

• Like Like x 2
  6. SeanTF1967

SeanTF1967 Autobot

News Credits:
    I’m aware they wanted to go non-union. I mind, it’s cool I guess to give shots a fan, don’t get me wrong, but it was hard to see the old cast go since most fans have grown attached to the original RB cast.

7. Infosaur

Infosaur Well-Known Member

I'd still like to hold out hope for some mainstream or Generations style toys of the RescueBots. Yes they've grown on me that much. At the very least Chase & Heatwave. We got a Blurr crossover to RiD for pete's sake! I'd lobby for a Masterpiece Inferno remold but Heatwave's transformation is slightly different and if I'm dreaming anyway,,,

And it's even odder if you consider that helicopters are generally more fragile vehicles than most.

Or if you add Springer, most Autobot helicopters are pretty aggressive aren't they? Only Decepticon choppers that come to mind are Vortex (interrogator) and Movie Blackout (strong, silent type).

Crap, I just remembered Rotorstorm too! Hahahahah.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Autobot Burnout

You forgot Armada Cyclonus, Battletrap (technically only half of him, but every toy he's ever gotten - G1, Botcon Springer repaint, the two POTP Legends that combine - has made sure to include that mode as priority), Movie Grindor (basically Blackout but every official source treats him as a different character because they had to use an MH-54 Pave Low for ROTF instead of the MH-53), and of course Animated Megatron.

And Airachnid, who I only mention because her rarely-used alt. mode is a helicopter. Fuck Airachnid.

But yeah, Autobot helicopters to surprisingly tend to be agressive/violent - even Alpha Bravo was kind of violent in the comics, wasn't he? The only non-violent helicopters I can generally think of are G1 Sandstorm (granted this only applies to his original toy because his superb Generations voyager made him a VTOL Ospery type vehicle), Energon Bulkhead, and the helicopter mini-con from Cybertron (who wasn't technically an Autobot but he hung around with the kids all the time so he pretty much was one in all but name and logo-wearing capacity).

• Like Like x 1
  9. Exodus

Exodus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Is this series out?

10. Frontier4

Frontier4 Member

This looks cute, though the VA's for Prime and Heatwave doing obvious Peter Cullen and Steve Blum impressions is kind of distracting.
    I think Cullen can still bring a lot more to the table as Prime when writers actually give him more to work with then "100% stoic leader guy."

I mean, I'm not the biggest fan of Movie!Prime's characterization, but at least the movies actually let Cullen emote as Optimus again.
    I kept hoping for a reference to Raf, the other humans, and Agent Fowler during the entirety of RID, to no avail :( .

11. DrOblivian

DrOblivian Mad Doctor jAmS

i see it as a never ending loop, Cullen has the stoic older leader voice (and hes the iconic voice for Optimus Prime), so they just keep writing Prime that way, and because hes written that way, they cast Cullen. also chalked up to hasbro not wanting to take ANY risks with their golden boy, which ironically is probably the thing making him stagnate.

not gonna lie, as much fun as it is to make fun of the movies and Murder Prime. Murder Prime was refreshing in a way (untill it got old... fast) at least in the sense that we got so see any kind of other emotion out of Optimus rather then the generic "stoic leader" granted the only other thing was saw was angry murdering. i do feel that a lot of Movie Prime's anger/violence was out of place but then there are parts where i wished they had lingered on it more. like in AOE when he found out Ratchet had been killed, at least that anger was justified in a sense.

all in all, its actually been a long time since i liked Optimus as a character. i would rather see more bumblebee than i would Optimus at this point... unless they can put some kind of a spin on him or at least show his emotions more. the whole point of prime is that he isn't perfect right? so why do they keep showing us nothing but "perfection".

lol sorry that turned into a little bit of a rant...

12. Deadend

Deadend Overloaded Spark

News Credits:
    I agree. There were some great VAs and guest voices that really brought life to those characters, but I do hope the new cast can do as well too. Plus many of those VAs can return to the characters if they appear in other media.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Infosaur

Infosaur Well-Known Member

It's also why I love Animated Optimus Prime. Those of us old enough to remember the original comic (hell you can download it, it's practically public domain now) the origin was that Optimus was sort of a "farm boy turned super soldier". Nobody knew where he came from all they knew was he was turning the tide against the Decepticons.

It's not as clear in the Sunbow cartoons, but it is apparent that he's a leader amongst his troops not a leader above his troops. Even Picard & Kirk were more distant to their lower officers.

At some point however (86 movie? Or people that have only seen that?) Optimus became some sort of God/Prince. Maybe to a degree that was acceptable but more and more writers seem to move him away from being a likeable, approachable leader to some sort of socially isolated messiah. (When he's not wallowing in self-doubt and visions of apocalyptic doom, thanks Furman)

I mean which Prime would you rather hang out with:

1.) "Spike! Compute Quickly!"

Or

2.) "it never ends,,,,,"

I'd forgotten about that one. I think I passed on it at the time. I hated Unicron Trilogy toys at the time (toy like vehicle modes, too much emphasis on gimmicks over transformations) but Cyberkeys were much less offensive than Minicons at the end. And they are damned sturdy compared to modern toys.

I'm not going to say they're the pinnacle of the toy line but they're a nice balance for kids.

14. Autobot Burnout

Say what you will about how the AEC era toys are limited by gimmicks, but for the most part they are built to LAST. Big, chunky robots built to handle a billion living room battles of being smashed into each other.

• Like Like x 2
  15. MrNiceGuy

MrNiceGuy Well-Known Member

Is everyone just assuming Whirl won't be psychotic because of the design?

• Like Like x 1
  16. Autobot Burnout

Psychotic Whirl has no place in a show of RB's tone. He works in IDW because he's a complete fucking nutcase, broken by empurata (dude used to be a watchmaker), more or less singlehandedly ensured the Cybertronian Civil War would happen by beating up Megatron while in prison, and a bunch of other stuff that really is not exactly appropriate for children under the age of ten.

RBA Whirl is pretty much a nameslap who happens to share alt. mode type and color base. But she seems far more tomboy than "violent psychopath"

• Like Like x 1
  17. TLP

TLP Well-Known Member

I would actually enjoy this show a lot if they made her a Deadpool-like character.

18. MrNiceGuy

So what? They could make her a toned down version of that.
    Also I seriously don't like the empurata concept at all.

19. Autobot Burnout

I'm not quite understanding why you want the TF show aimed at the younger audiences to have the female character be the closest thing to an amoral psychopath.

20. MrNiceGuy

Because cute-looking female psychopaths are amusing.