Requesting recommendations

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Luka63, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Luka63

Luka63 Lukabot

Well, I've almost finished Transformers: Animated for the first time. (I've just watched Predacons Rising, so not many more to go now I believe)

Have to say that though I'm still unsure about the art style, I've enjoyed this series a lot more than I ever initially expected. I went in thinking that I'd manage a few episodes and then it would become dull, but I found myself genuinely invested by the characters and plot.

Now that it's near to an end though, I'm wondering which path I should take next.

Although I've developed a fondness for Animated, Transformers: Prime remains my favourite series. Completely up to date with that, and eagerly awaiting future episodes. I've also caught a couple of episodes of G1 here and there, but never really gone through it properly.

So here's where I hope you all can help me. What would you advise I watch next? I've had a faint curiosity in the Unicron Trilogy, but after hearing quite a number of negative views on it I've never taken that interest further.

Thank you all in advance, and apologies if this post is in the wrong section.

2. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Have you ever watched Beast Wars or Beast Machines? Like Animated they have a strong story (Beast Machines is very similar to Prime in terms of how dark it is, though it's best taken as a side story rather than a direct continuation. Your mileage may vary though)

Robots in Disguise is worth a look, it's good fun in a similar way to Animated.

Unicron trilogy is not bad, but a distant third after both of those.

3. GFH

GFH The G Squad

News Credits:
    After watching Animated, I watched G1, then Beast Wars, then Beast machines, Armada.

Then I couldn't watch Energon so I skipped it. I might give Cybertron a chance.
    Oh, I skipped RiD as well.

4. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    That's exactly what I did! I went through just over half of Energon, and got bored. Armada wasn't too bad, I liked the kids aswell.

5. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Energon can actually be safely skipped after viewing episode 26 with minimal impact on the connection with Cybertron.

Heck, 26 works as a better lead in to Cybertron in some ways!

6. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    But don't the other planets made by Alpha-Q come in play after episode 26?

7. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Based on what you've watched and enjoyed, if you haven't partaken of the Beast series, they're absolutely the next thing you should be checking out.

8. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Beast Wars should be next on your list. Like Animated and Prime, it has a smaller cast, excellent characterization and great writing. And with the new DVD sets just released, BW is easy to find, as well.

Beyond that, there's a significant drop-off in quality of the TF series. Beast Machines is also good, IMO, but doesn't hold up the quality of Beast Wars and the characterization, in particular, takes a hit. Of the Unicron Trilogy shows, Energon is essentially unwatchable; don't bother with it. Armada starts off pretty bad, but gets much better in the second half and ends on a high note. Cybertron is okay, but the plot is dragged out a lot. Although A/E/C are technically in the same continuity, there are enough continuity issues between Energon and Cybertron that you can watch Cybertron without having seen Energon.

9. Luka63

Luka63 Lukabot

Wow, thank you everyone for all your responses!

It seems the general consensus is to try out Beast Wars first. I must seem like such a strange newbie, having never delved into it before, but it was just one of those things that I never picked up on.

I've heard quite a number of good things about RiD, but from what I've seen from places such as TFWiki I'm not sure if it would suit my interests. Then again, I used to believe that about Animated once upon a time.

I think I'll take it from here as:

Beast Wars/Beast Machines
    G1
    Unicron Trilogy (or at least attempt to. Perhaps I'll find myself watching portions of it as people have suggested. Though I have a bit of an OCD about watching/reading series in the order they're meant to be in, I'll try to overcome it ;P)

Again, thank you for all your help. It's very much appreciated!~

10. Backpack

Backpack G1 forever.

May I suggest watching G1 season 1+ the Movie before watching Beast Wars. It really will effect how you experence BW as it connects back to G1 in so many ways.

11. Luka63

Luka63 Lukabot

Ah yes, that would make a lot more sense. Apologies, that fact slipped my mind, but thank you for your advice!~

12. brr-icy

brr-icy MP Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    g1, and some of the unicron trilogy, i couldn't watch armada, too much pokemon influence for me, energon was ok, but cybertron was good, i enjoyed it. without knowing a lot of g1, you miss a lot of the later series with the call backs and easter eggs

13. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Without a doubt, go to BW.

I'd also suggest Cybertron/Galaxy Force. You really don't need to have seen Armada/Micron Legend or Energon/Superlink to watch it. Heck, in Japan it was essentially a standalone series. It's got a bit too much "Burning Justice!" in it, but really, it's not bad.

You're about to be in for a heck of a ride in Animated. Enjoy it!