Request for buying suggestions for a Bayformers newbie

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by GuardianMonkey, Jun 21, 2009.

1. GuardianMonkey

GuardianMonkey Well-Known Member

I really hated the robot designs of the first movie. However, I eventually bought Landmine, spurred on a cool GIJoe custom. It turned out to be a great buy.

Now that RotF is rolling out, I've warmed a bit to the overall style and think a lot of the newest toys look pretty awesome. However, I really don't want to end up with a ton of lackluster toys.

The only ones that really jump out that seem like MUST BUY are Ransack, Sideswipe, and Breakaway. Each have a interesting, unique robot mode and really nice transforms. Then again, I've heard various negatives about all three, not the least of which being the cost/value ratio.

Anybody have any passionate suggestions as to what are the MUST BUY TFs in this line so far?

2. ersico

ersico Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    like you said, but in my opinion breakaway is the least of those 3..though i do have him and love him..im prob. a bad judge since ive got all the deluxe and lead and voy. that arent repaints from the first movie....but i really really like voy. meg...he looks badass and is very posable......rampage/demolisher/mixmaster to me arejust...ok...........sideswipe is a must...his goodness outweighs his diffiuculty in standing....wheelie is just too cute and i think will be selling fast once the movie is out and people really fall for his personality........ill give you my hones opinion on any fig your concerned about ...if your interested...with pics too :) 

3. SoundMaster

SoundMaster Likes RID Bulkhead.

News Credits:
    Deluxe Sideways oozes awesome. I'd recommend him over Sideswipe, if you prefer complex transformations.

4. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    id reccomend Ironhide (Voyager) its looks great it both modes, and if reccomend the ice cream truck twins set

5. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    Of your particular choices, I'd go with Sideswipe. I personally love this figure, and so far it the best deluxe to me.

I do have all three that you mentioned too. Also Sideways is a great figure, and Starscream is a great improvement over the first movie version in my eyes.

6. starscream-99

starscream-99 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sideswipe is beyond cool, but Leader Prime is #1 out of all ROTF toys IMO.

7. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Out of the three you listed, Sideswipe is the best, IMO.

My personal favorite of the line is Leader Class Optimus. He is flat-out amazing.

8. Brakescream

Brakescream F&@king Twist Ties!

News Credits:
    I also think Sideswipe is well worth getting. Voyager Starscream is probably my favourite of my RotF figs though.

9. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

Buy Rampage! He's a really awesome toy, his bot mode is very unique, almost like a centaur crab, but I find him quite an entertaining toy. His whip treads are quite ingenious too!

Also get Knockout, if you MUST buy a Scout. He's a really good figure in both modes.

10. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    Sideswipe is cool, but I recommend Leader Optimus.

11. Polenicus

Polenicus Warring At Play

Ebay:
    I haven't gotten Breakaway yet, simply because it bothers me that a mod is really required to bring out the true awesome of that mold. But there are many people who love him and swear by him almost fanatically. If you're willing and able to do the mod (Doesn't seem that hard from the guide I read) then he's probably a good choice.

Sideswipe is awesome just because... well, he looks more badass than any other Autobot, really. He looks FAST, and everything about him screams his combat style. He's also not as... extreme Bayformer as the others. His face is something that you'd likely be a little more comfortable with. Yes, he has wheels for feet, but he's a SKATER.

Ironhide IS a good choice, if you haven't gotten any previous versions. He's big, burly, and badass, and probably one of the most solid Voyagers of the line, even now.

As for movie scouts... Knock-Out is a very solid all around figure (And by extension, so is his repaint). If you only get one, get him. Also, Baron Ransack Von Joy... he's a BIPLANE.

I love the movie Wreckage mold, which has been re-released as Bludgeon, but unfortunately as part of a two-pack with Whirl, a re-deco of Blackout with a new head. While the Movie Blackout mold isn't BAD, it's also kind diminutive for a Voyager (Though, ironically, he scales well with Bludgeon's alt mode)

Also, talking about first movie toys, if you can find Longarm, grab him. He's worth it.

Finally... Leader Optimus. If you have the money, get him first. He is where all the engineering and advances of this line went... his design probably involved more man-hours than all of the Voyagers and Deluxes COMBINED. They did everything in their power to make him as perfect a rendition of his movie self as possible (In both modes), while retaining poseability and stability. GET HIM.

The rest depend on personal taste and whether you can deal with their Bayformer-ness, and that really ends up being an individual thing. I can't deal with the bike triplets yet, and their stylized 'road mermaid' look. I CAN deal with the twins, but that's mostly thanks to Vangelus and his 'MC Paddington' bit. I can deal with Sideways and his insecticon look because I love Insecticons. Rampage actually disappoints me a little because of how limited his articulation is, but I love the four-legged look and overall look of the toy. Starscream is satisfying to me because he's basically the toy we should have gotten the first time around, but I really really wish I could put my Deep Space Starscream's paintjob on him.

A lot of the line really embraces the whole Movie aesthetic, so go slow, and check out the reviews of each figure before you buy, preferably video reviews. Don't be afraid to skip figures if you're unsure; Chances are we'll see them in repaints eventually.

12. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    LEADER CLASS OPTIMUS!!!! I just opened mine today. I can't say enough. I'm blown away by him.

13. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    I'll cut you a deal on Sideswipe and Knockout if you're interested. I lost interest in Knockout (Ransack and Dirt Boss are far superior) and I decided to get the upcoming Human Alliance Sideswipe figure after seeing how awesome Human Alliance Bumblebee was.

On that same note, you'd be doing yourself a disservice by passing on Human Alliance Bumblebee.

14. Stune

Stune Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Leader Prime is a cool toy, but a little disappointing due to the sometimes maddening difficulty and overabundance of Grey Plastic.

Skids is my favorite out of what I have so far, his alt mode looks really good, intricate but never Frustrating transformation, and his robot mode is really solid.

Sideways is probably my second choice, I like to say he's the Leader Prime of Deluxes. The transformation is very interesting for a deluxe, and the look is really striking.

Breakaway has alot of personality, reminds me of those old Beast Wars figures like the Praying Mantis and the Dragonfly that squirted water. His transformation is fun, and to all the people who say the Mod is required to get any joy out of him, I keep his cockpit closed. "Gee I can't see to the outside of this GLASS/CLEAR PANE OF PLASTIC, let me open it up exposing my head to oncoming fire!"

Nerd quibbles aside. FAB Long Haul is also pretty nice, as is Rampage.

If there had to be one figure I hated so far it would be Soundwave, and that's not even by much. He's compromised to represent the character in the line. He's got a really nice robot mode but very half-assed alt-modes, however the transformation to the Satellite mode is kind of cool.

15. SeventyOne

SeventyOne Ixlair The Fool

SIDESWIPE SIDESWIPE SIDESWIPE SIDESWIPE.

Do it, you won't regret it.

16. x BlackMagnus x

x BlackMagnus x Is not impressed

News Credits:
    HA BB

The only movie-verse Bumbles you will need, unless you are into your figs being in scale.

17. SoundMaster

SoundMaster Likes RID Bulkhead.

News Credits:
    I'll add FAB Long Haul.

I just got him today. He's an awesome figure. The articulation is great for an FAB, the punching gimmick is addicting, and the transformation is simple, if that is what you prefer.

However, the dump truck mode might dissapoint. The "dump bed" isn't hollow, since the arms are stored in it, and you can see the robot head and torso underneath. However, he looks really nice from the front and sides.

18. GuardianMonkey

GuardianMonkey Well-Known Member

Wow. Didn't realize I'd get so many great suggestions. Thanks a lot!

To expand a little bit, Polenicus (thanks so much for the detail!) nailed it on the head. I'm put off by the most extreme of the Bay-designs, which is probably why Ransack is the only Decepticon I've even considered buying. Arcee and the other girl-cycles are very ugly while Devastator and his various components don't appeal to me at all. Also, despite everybody's enthusiastic praise of Leader Prime and Human Alliance Bumblebee, neither designs sit well with me. It might be my strong dislike of the actual movie itself coloring my opinions.

Money is rather tight so I was trying to keep from buying anything bigger than the deluxes. I had to skip Ultra Magnus and Megatron in TFA in the name of saving. Then again, such high praise of leader Prime has me intrigued. Just what is so awesome about him?

I've seen pictures of Human Alliance Sideswipe and I've also read a lot of recent reviews that proclaim HABB to be the best BB figure yet. Are there a lot of differences between HABB and the standard deluxe? Would it be better to hold off on Sideswipe right now, if his HA figure is going to be so much better?

I think one of the main things that makes a TF really great for me is the 'fiddle factor.' I like to be able to take a figure off the shelf, fiddle around with various things, transform back and forth, pose in a bunch of ways, etc etc. Those are probably what make Prowl and Oilslick my favorite of the TFA line, it's the sort of thing I'm also looking for in the new movie toys.

19. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The Leader Prime figure. We just don't like it because it's Prime(some of us do, though). We like it because of how accurate they got it to the CGI model. It looks like it came right from the movie. The robot mode, aside from the grey paint, looks like a Movie Masterpiece figure. The swords to kinda hurt the mold, but not enough to take away anything.

All the things you here about the transformation are somewhat exaggerated. The first time you transform him into vehicle mode, you are going to hate it so much you are almost pissed you bought him. But it gets easier the more times you do it. I was hesitant to transform him at first, but once you complete it, it's just like any other.

The last reason Leader Prime is so awesome is because of the improvement over the last Leader Prime. The last Leader Prime was a good figure at the time, but once compared to this one, it's a shame the other was ever made. Overall, best figure of the ROTF line.

Now for Sideswipe. IMO, he is the best new character introduced in ROTF. For the deluxe mold, the vehicle mold is amazing. It's sleek, stylish, and awesome. Robot mode is awesome. The feet aren't that bad, once you fiddle with him a little bit. Overall, a very solid Transformer and highly recommended.

That being said. If the HA Sideswipe is as good as BB, you should wait. The mold seems to be a vast improvement over the deluxe. I already have the deluxe, and am going to get this version as well.

Oh, and Ironhide. If you are able to, try to find the original version online. The ROTF one has the better cannons, but the paint scheme is all wrong and not movie accurate.

20. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    I know I want this figure now after much internal debate with myself. He must really be as awesome as he seems in the package.