Reprolabels Movie Upgrade set M4 – Leader Class Optimus Prime

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Draven, Dec 25, 2007.

1. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Leader Class Optimus Prime is a superb toy; a not entirely faithful representation of his movie incarnation, but a fantastically detailed and posable toy in his own right. However, comparing him to photos of the real truck it becomes apparent that for whatever reason Hasbro left a few details out. Some of his flame apps are missing, lights aren’t painted, and such.
    Movie Upgrade Set M4 is a set of upgrade stickers for Leader Class Optimus Prime, filling in a lot of those little (and some not-so-little) details that are missing on the toy.

Set Contents
    I didn’t have an application map for the set, so a few of the stickers took a little identifying; because of this, I’ve done an identification guide for the set.
    [​IMG]
    The set consists of:
    1 - outside of lower arms
    2 - inside of lower legs
    3 - sides of truck nose
    4 – cab windows
    5 – small vertical cab window (right side)
    6 – Sleeper cab silver trim (rear)
    7 – Sleeper cab silver trim (front)
    8 – angled rear lights
    9 – round rear lights
    10 – round rear lights (rear fenders)
    11 – silver details on sleeper cab
    12 – door handles (2 on cab, 2 on sleeper cab)
    13 – Autobot Symbol
    14 – Robot mode “mouth” sticker

For the most part, this set is extremely easy to apply; I’ve always found that the best way to apply stickers is with the tip of a scalpel, Xacto knife, or similar. As usual with Reprolabels the stickers are extremely accurately pre-cut, and I had no problem removing them from the sheet.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2007
  2. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Application Part 1 – Truck Mode
    [​IMG]
    The majority of the stickers are for Prime’s truck mode; while an excellent toy, there are flame apps missing from the truck nose. I applied these first. The vinyl used for the stickers has just the right amount of flexibility, and the fit is absolutely perfect. The colours are a pretty darn perfect match for the paint apps already present on the toy.
    [​IMG]
    I then moved my attention to the sleeper cab, which has always struck me as very plain looking compared to the real life truck. M4 adds some very needed details here; silver stripes to the bottom edge of the sleeper cab, silver details to its sides, and door handles for both parts of the cab. Be very careful applying the silver stripes; they are exactly the right size for their intended location and have holes to fit round the raised details, which means you have to take great care in applying them correctly. However the finished result looks superb.
    [​IMG]
    The set also gives you 3 “window” stickers for the cab sides; to be honest, I’m not totally sure about them. Whilst they are a nice touch, my personal preference would have originally been to leave them off. However, for the sake of review completeness I did apply them. They do look good, although perhaps a tad to bright a blue to truly blend in properly. I’d advise people to make up their own minds about applying them.
    Now, on to the back of the truck.
    [​IMG]
    Leader Prime has moulded light details at the rear, but none of them are painted. M4 gives you stickers for all of those lights except the 2 little ellipse shaped ones (I’m not sure why). All of these stickers fit absolutely perfectly, and they really do make the rear of the truck look infinitely better. They’re very small, of course, and so take a steady hand to apply, but they adhere extremely well. The 3 lights on each of Prime’s rear mudguards also have stickers to be applied on them; these lights are curved, but the stickers lend themselves to being “shaped” to the moulding wonderfully.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 25, 2007
  3. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

Damn, that's light years better than my crappy custom paint job

4. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Application Part 2 – Robot Mode
    [​IMG]
    Prime’s robot mode also has some stickers, albeit somewhat less than the truck mode. These consist mainly of 2 missing flame apps - the outside of his lower arms, and the inside of his lower legs.
    These stickers are EXTREMELY accurately cut and although the lower leg stickers are being applied to multiple contours, they mould to the shape perfectly.
    [​IMG]
    The lower arm flame stickers are exactly the right size, and look great in place.
    [​IMG]
    A sticker is provided to cover Prime’s faceplate and give him the appearance of the controversial mouth he had in the movie:
    [​IMG]
    Unfortunately, this is where the set falls down a tad in my opinion. I have always felt that details such as mouths simply don’t work as stickers, and this is no exception. It just... doesn’t look right. Also, the sticker seems slightly too wide to fit on the faceplate; the faceplate itself is a separate piece, so the sticker can be pushed slightly into where it fits to the head, but the overall effect is somewhat disappointing. This is the only sticker I will be removing after this review is done. Personal preference advised, I would say.
    There is also a silver Autobot logo; it’s too big for the truck grille, so I suspect it is to be applied to the robot chest.

Conclusion
    Leader Class Optimus Prime is a superb toy as it stands. However, this set makes him absolutely shine. The addition of the missing flame apps alone makes this set worth the money, but add in the cab details and the lights, and it’s an absolute no-brainer.
    Bottom line - I’d reccomend this set to every one out there who has Leader Prime without any hesitation.

5. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wow those make him look a lot better.

6. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    That's a pretty darn sweet set. I may just have to get that one.

7. Shokaract

Shokaract Banned

is this an upcoming set? I don't see it listed on their website. I 've got some x-mas money to burn and this looks like a good start!

8. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    According to Delta, it's out VERY soon.

9. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

Yeah, the AB logo is supposta be on the chest

10. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    draven was asked to test the set on his prime to make sure everything works ok. Your complaint about the size of the face sticker, and also the shade of blue on the side window stickers will most likely get addressed before the set is released for sale :) 

11. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    id be interested in this set...but would probably leave off the mouth and window stickers....even if they fix the mouth id probably still leave it off as i just like the faceplate look a little more...

12. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

I like! I do hope that Delta addresses Draven's concerns, though.
    And where is that Autobot logo supposed to go? I can't see any room on the chest for it at all.

13. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I think it's supposed to go on the piece that locks his chest automorph (the one that goes into the "clip" that activates it). However, it looks a tad too big.

14. BigRC83

BigRC83 I'm singing in the rain

News Credits:
    Everything great. But I can't stand Prime with a mouth.

15. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    That looks awesome!

16. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I like the looks of this kit, except for the windows and mouth.

17. Optimus

Optimus Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Windows need to be darker and the mouth sticker either needs to be highly modified or removed altogether. Otherwise very well done.

18. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    I think it needs a few little stickers to make the front end where the flames begin a bit more natural, instead of the solid blue it has now.

19. domientius

domientius Well-Known Member

Yeah, the mouth sticker is ugly, and the solid blue window stickers really don't mesh well with the rest of the toy.

20. NothingHead

NothingHead Well-Known Member

Very nice, but I'd rather have detailing stickers to go over Leader Prime's big, bland eyes, than a two-tone vector-line image of his mouth and nose.

It's funny, I've never seen anyone address the fact that despite the extensive, slavish detail in his sculpt, Leader Prime's eyes have no detailing whatsoever. I'd really like to see a good solution, especially in light of the fact that you can't even disassemble his head and fix them up yourself. It would have been nice if Reprolabels had done something about that; the only way that I could think to fix them would be through some good decals..